Can Magnetizing Of A Steel Dish Be A Criminal Behavior?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

richyrich

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 2, 2008
dead
The problems associated with steel compared to aluminum used in a satellite dishes design seem to have an impact. A steel dish is heavier, sure. But what about whether it is magnetic material or not? What does a satellite signal rely upon; magnetics or symbolicly "the air"? Why does it work?

This is a question, not an answer of opin; it is science!

If a steel dish is turned into a magnet using electricity where the steel becomes magnetized in one or more formation; will the satellite dish work properly?

I'm not sure what you are getting at. Can you explain further?

The problems associated with steel compared to aluminum used in a satellite dishes design seem to have an impact. A steel dish is heavier, sure. But what about whether it is magnetic material or not? What does a satellite signal rely upon; magnetics or symbolicly "the air"? Why does it work?
Any metal can be used as a reflector (e.g. steel, aluminum, copper, gold, etc). Remember how radio waves originate, namely, from electric charges oscillating within a metal. When these radio waves encounter another piece of metal (like your dish reflector) they put into motion the free electric charges in the metal which in turn produce an identical but attenuated reflected radio wave.

I don't see how "magnetizing" your dish would cause the radio waves to be reflected any more efficiently unless it somehow reduced the resistive losses in the metal. But if you fabricated a parabolic dish out of say gold which has a very low resistance, then you should in theory get some more gain. Try plating your dish with gold and let us know if you can pull in some of the weaker transponders - it should work,assuming you can afford it!

Reactions: Titanium
Any metal can be used as a reflector (e.g. steel, aluminum, copper, gold, etc). Remember how radio waves originate, namely, from electric charges oscillating within a metal. When these radio waves encounter another piece of metal (like your dish reflector) they put into motion the free electric charges in the metal which in turn produce an identical but attenuated reflected radio wave.

I don't see how "magnetizing" your dish would cause the radio waves to be reflected any more efficiently unless it somehow reduced the resistive losses in the metal. But if you fabricated a parabolic dish out of say gold which has a very low resistance, then you should in theory get some more gain. Try plating your dish with gold and let us know if you can pull in some of the weaker transponders - it should work,assuming you can afford it!

I think you are right; but gold is not magnetic then; it just costs more? Check this experiment out.

1) using (2) 9v batteries, and (2) wires, coiled around a solid piece of steel
2) place the magnetized coiled piece of steel into an area very near to a "steel" satellite dish; pick the center of the dish for instance; and hook up the 9 v battery to the wires; after making sure the magnet and wiring is completely isolated from the dish (so it will not short to ground).
3) Repeat until magnet is large enough (design), covers the back of the dish as to make the dish polarize to be a magnet poled piece of steel (This is the answer).
3) tell me if any channels; or bands of channels :) are missing; lower in quality; shut off; because of the magnetization!#@ :glasses

Not sure if this electromagnet experiment would provide usable data on magnetism effects on RF reflectivity... An electromagnet coil is effectively a large transmitting antenna energized by electrical current and may introduce RF interference into the feedhorn.

Probably best to experiment with a ferromagnetic material. Then the question is: Does one pole draw more signals typically lost beyond the edges of the dish from the surrounding air into the reflector and the other pole more effectively repel the gathered and desirable RF signals and actually speed up time and break the time-space continuum... LOL!!! :D

Why do they use non-magnetic material in the feedhorns? Because they need the magnetism (is it a propagated signal?) to be applied onto (for it to accept) which is something called a triode effected (effected by magnetism, where margins are, what a margin is); where the feedback is the signal gained at frequency. Some magnetism can already be called Criminal Behavior (well, in harm); like experimenting with them as back pain relievers as doctors do; and letting two slap together and pinch the back with them. Then, if one is wound and applied a magnet to a dish; and the dishes efficiency is effected in any way (better or worse); the criminality would be in the worse direction; and would cause a steel dish that has magnetism applied against it; and holds the property of magnetism for; say 120 days (inventory for 1/4) making the dish inefficient at collecting signal for its designed purpose; and non-steel dishes would not. Or that the dish, now magnetized, will collect metal particles from the air, and lose efficiency. Now that would be a crime, to make somebodies dish quit receiving signal because of magnetism...The FCC calls interference against the law, but allows experimentation (it happens) until it interfere's too much. Then it is criminal behavior, or not?

Last edited:
Why do you wnat to magnetize the darned thing? What law would it violate?

I think you have a different definition of criminal then I do.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/criminal

next thing, magnetizing a dish will not affect it in any way. You can try if you dont believe me. Trust me antenna theory has been well established for a long time. Im not against people trying out new things, but its always best when that theory is based on sound science, not voodoo magic else your results will most likely be bunk.

If you want to learn more about antenna's and radio waves I recommend you contact your local amateur radio club and get your ham radio licence, these guys have been breaking new ground for over 100 years. They create their own antenna's and more importantly share that info and will teach you the math and science behind it, why they work, and how to make your own equipment as well.

UDL

Maybe... kinda hoping not though. I do try and be helpful, I dont really understand these people that get enjoyment out of wasting others time.

UDL

A gigantic magnet should be mounted at the proper F/D to gather the ambient satellite signals that are not absorbed by my tinfoil hat. Now all I have to do is to figure out how to attach a f-fitting to the magnet so I can remove the signals trapped inside.....:coco

Tin-Foil-Cat-Hat-1.jpg

Could always borrow your local hospital's MRI machine and set it up behind your dish... Or borrow one of the 40' electro-magnets from Cern (Logistics might be an issue)... Think the latter would require about 500kW, might have to make arrangements with your power company. Not sure about the MRI machine.

I expect the above would cause reception difficulty due to warpage of the metal dish, providing the (dish)pole is strong enough to maintain it's aim. I would also refrain from existing in the space between the metal dish and the above magnetic field sources... for safety reasons. A non-ferrous reflector might work better for such experiments on reflectivity and RF polarization.

Providing enough energy to run a strong enough magnet would be a limitation. With specifically designed magnetic fields there may be a way of bending the RF energy somewhat, creating a focal point, which would perform much the same function as your dish reflector only much more inefficiently.

One of the members here (McGuyver) uses mirrors attached to small magnets to find the focal point of his dish, maybe he has found a benefit to reception as well? Never know... Kind of an interesting topic though.

So is the plan to go magnetize someone's dish in hopes of degrading their signal, and slip away with no obvious cause for the lost reception?

Yep, if that worked I'd call it a criminal act. Maybe even if it didn't work, which it won't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting to the point. Rich, why would you want to do this to someone's dish? Do you have an offending dish in your area because of aesthetics, hoping if it quits working they will remove it? Otherwise I don't see the point. Now BITD (well still happens but not a much), when people would hook-up trashy linear amplifiers to their CB's and trash the neighbors TV, there was a lot of cut coax and pinned coax going on. :eek:

That is, if you have a dish. But if you need one, I am sure you can make yourself into one. My dish works fine with Cern's? ; or with the new laser finding wind calculator? If I prove magnetics is exactly what it is; applied as only a magnet to collect the signal, who cares if it works or not. It is my dish then. And about my dish, and how I may apply my mathmatical's ; try this yourself!

This experiment only takes 3 parts. First, take your old portable am radio. Plug it in. Turn it on. Tune it to the best station you can receive. Now, turn off every computer; and anything that has a computer in it (like your HDTV, etc. 1080p display, fridge, washer dryer, wireless devices). Now listen to how much clearer AM is now, instead of the flames. You see, you have just proven your computers are just am radio's on steriod's!?

Seriously, look at the development of the "flat" dish. Or the smaller ones. They all benefited by the increase frequency does all by itself. 3xfreq. = 3xpower 3.5x3= 10.5 (11.7-12.2 12.2-12,7); the power went up when they only changed the freq.; and thus a smaller dish could be used. A dish inside the box; however, has not changed.

Now, please tell me, have you "interfered" with your neighbors dish by planting large tree's in front of them (10-15 footers)? Or snuck out at night and "magnetized" dishes that are not on your property because you learned that it would need to be fixed? Or that when you find pins and needles in cables you have installed for others it only means the animals are coming out at night? Or that if you read a book one day called "Magnetics and Magnetism" it is written by "" or just "ham radio guys"?

And since your computers are all just AM radio's on steroids; when I pick them up with my AM radio "pick-up" device; whatever I receive is therefore mine, isn't it?; You broadcast them AM waves, all I did was pick them up!
Try it, it works! The first piece of material you will need is "a magnet" (a microphone has a magnet in it) and it will be needed to be placed in front of an 18" directv dish right at its focal point. Now hook the two wires up to the correct plug on your computer with microphone input. Aim the dish at your neighbors and listen to their computer. Guess what, if you put a different magnet with a different input; guess what signal you can then receive. A computer is just an AM radio! And it broadcasts wirelessly, even when you are not hooked to any wireless antenna at all.

Did you think those advertisements about aiming an antenna at the cable company cable, and watching tv from it; was a joke?

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)