can sats be added to coolsat 5000 platinum?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SATisfied

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Lineboro, MD
Hey guys,

I just got a Coolsat 5000 platinum on eBay, and I love the blind scan....it's just that there are a lot of sats missing in the database and I don't see any way to add them manually. Can this be done with the remote, or do I have to use a channel editor program? Thanks for your input.

use the attached

open the loader (unzip first)
select channels option
select to receiver
click on browse and find "master" (unzip file too)
press start. It will show the current software
press OK and it will update

need a RS232 cable (straight)

Attachments

• CoolSat Pro Loader v.2.4.zip
    167.5 KB · Views: 274
  • master.zip
    3.3 KB · Views: 214
Yes you can do it via remote but I find it easier to use Channel Master from c#. At least when adding a lot of Sats. To add from the remote go to dish setting under menu and rename one of the blank sats.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Search for a proggy called Channel Master. I tried the home page but it's down or maybe gone? Should be a copy somewhere here on the board though.

It will let you import or create from scratch .ndf format channel/sat files for you 5K. Very handy. I have a 6K, great box. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

EDIT - WOW, looks like Ice smoked us both PM......lol

use the attached

open the loader (unzip first)
select channels option
select to receiver
click on browse and find "master" (unzip file too)
press start. It will show the current software
press OK and it will update

need a RS232 cable (straight)

Thanks for the quick reply and the zip files, Iceburg. I will play with it tomorrow....too tired tonight.

which receiver do you need it for?

I can convert that to a few different formats for different receivers

Hey guys,

I just got a Coolsat 5000 platinum on eBay, and I love the blind scan....it's just that there are a lot of sats missing in the database and I don't see any way to add them manually. Can this be done with the remote, or do I have to use a channel editor program? Thanks for your input.

SATisfied,

Some really good tips and tools have already been mentioned. They are much less work then the procedure that I am going to include in the following, but the following is how to do this manually via the remote if you ever desire or need to.

These are instructions to add a new LINEAR satellite to a Coolsat 4, 5 or 6K receiver. The instructions reference a SINGLE or STANDARD LINEAR LNBF. If you are using a different type of LNBF, adjust the entries as required.

For the example, I am going to add a LINEAR satellite at 122.0W (which is just something I pulled out of a hat - this satellite doesn't exist, it is just an example).

MANUAL ENTRY INSTRUCTIONS:

Select MENU > DISH SETTING, then while the SATELLITE line is highlighted, press OK to view the entire list of satellites. Scroll down through this list until you find a satellite that is listed as 0.0E. This is a blank satellite position that you may use to enter a new satellite. Press OK and it will take you back to the setup screen with 0.0E displayed as the selected satellite.

Drop down to LNB POWER and ensure it is set to ON.

Drop down to LNB TYPE and select SINGLE.

Drop down to LNB FREQ and select 10.750

Drop down to 22KHz and select ON or OFF, whichever is appropriate for your switch configuration.

Drop down to DiSEqC Switch and select the appropriate setting for your system. Usually 1.0 or OFF or 1.0/1.1. Not many use 1.0/1.1.

If you are using a 4X1 DiSEqC switch, drop down to COMMITTED and select the appropriate port number.

Drop down to the LEGACY SW and select OFF, SW21 DISH 1, SW21 DISH2, SW42 DISH 1 or SW42 DISH 2 as appropriate for your system.

Press EXIT, and when prompted to SAVE the changes, select YES and press OK.

Now you will be redirected to the MAIN MENU screen.

Select MANUAL SCAN and press OK

The screen should be displaying 0.0E as the satellite.

Drop down to FREQUENCY and enter a valid transponder frequency for the satellite that you want to add. If you are not sure of any valid transponder frequencies for this new sat, you may simply enter 11.700 as an arbitrary TP frequency. Type that in.

Drop down to SYMBOL RATE and enter a valid SR. If you do not know the correct symbol rate, enter 20.000 as an arbitrary value.

Drop down to POLARIZATION and select V or H if you know the correct polarity. If you do not know it, you may leave it at whatever the default polarity is.

Press EXIT and the changes will be saved automatically and you will be redirected to the MAIN MENU screen.

Select MOTORIZED SETTING and press OK.

The screen should be displaying 0.0E as the selected satellite.

Drop down to DiSEqC MOTOR and select USALS.

Drop down to SAT DEGREE and enter in the satellite position, 122.0. After you type in all the digits, the E should be highlighted in black. Press OK and it should change to W.

Press EXIT and the settings will be automatically saved and you will observe a notification that the motor is moving to this new satellite position at 122.0 W. Allow this display to time out.

NOTE: Even if you are trying to set this satellite up on a fixed point dish, you still need to use the motorized setup menu to be able to install the satellite into memory properly.

You will be back at the MOTORIZED SETTING MENU.

If you know the name of the satellite, press the RED (recall channel) button on your remote. Notice that this button is displayed at the bottom of the screen as RENAME.

You now have a keyboard displayed to enter the satellite name. For this example, let us say that the sat name is Orion 5. Type that in and press EXIT. Now your satellite will display 122.0W ORION 5.

Press EXIT again and you will be back to the MAIN MENU screen.

Highlight BLIND SCAN and press OK. When 122.0W ORION 5 is highlighted in yellow, press OK to select this satellite. Then, press the VOLUME UP button on the remote to select the scanning parameter field to the right.

Highlight the TP frequency line at the top and press OK.
Leave the FROM frequency set as 11.700 and change the TO frequency to 12.200 and press EXIT once. Highlight the SR and change this from FULL to DETAIL.

Now drop down to the PRESS OK line and press OK to begin scanning. When it finishes the scan, you should EXIT out of all the menus and power the receiver OFF, then back ON. If you do not cycle power to the receiver, all the scanned channels will have 0000 as the channel number (or SID).

You have just successfully added a new satellite to your Coolsat receiver! Congratulations.

RADAR

Sonicview it can convert but I dont see kbox on the Channelmaster list

I think kbox had their own editor and wasnt compatible with CM

SV file is attached

Attachments

• sonicview.zip
    2 KB · Views: 150
Thanks, Radar, for the in depth instructions.....very clear. I've already gotten familiar with the menu options, so your instructions were easily understood. I would try it, but I've already downloaded the .ndf file that Iceburg supplied. I now have all the sats in the database.

I find some things a little strange with the blind scan.....for instance, I was blind scanning 79W ( as I recall ) and was trying to get K-Tel channel that I was getting on my cw600. It wouldn't come up. I tried entering the exact transponder data from lyngsat, and still no go. I don't get it. Does anyone with a Coolsat get the K-Tel channel on 79W? I'm not complaing.....I have found many other channels that I wasn
't getting before....I just find it odd.

yes it works fine here on my 5000

H

very rarely do I get it on a blind scan

Last edited:
Thanks, Radar, for the in depth instructions.....very clear. I've already gotten familiar with the menu options, so your instructions were easily understood. I would try it, but I've already downloaded the .ndf file that Iceburg supplied. I now have all the sats in the database.

I find some things a little strange with the blind scan.....for instance, I was blind scanning 79W ( as I recall ) and was trying to get K-Tel channel that I was getting on my cw600. It wouldn't come up. I tried entering the exact transponder data from lyngsat, and still no go. I don't get it. Does anyone with a Coolsat get the K-Tel channel on 79W? I'm not complaing.....I have found many other channels that I wasn
't getting before....I just find it odd.

SATisfied,

The KTEL-DT channel is there on satellite 79W. TP 11900 H with SR 2170. The VPID is 0049 and the APID is 0051.

And yes, I can pick it up with my Coolsat 5000 rcvr. Here in the Omaha, Nebraska area iy shows 79% quality on the Coolsat meter and 83% quality on my AZBox.

RADAR

Thanks, Ice & Radar....I don't know about you guys, but I have post it notes with

transponder/SR/PIDS jotted on 'em laying all around the tv room. What a great

hobby! Scanning the sats is more fun than watching tv. I know you all here on

Sat.guys get it.

Thanks, Ice & Radar....I don't know about you guys, but I have post it notes with

transponder/SR/PIDS jotted on 'em laying all around the tv room. What a great

hobby! Scanning the sats is more fun than watching tv. I know you all here on

Sat.guys get it.

Yes, we get it, and now, you GOT IT! You are officially "HOOKED" on FTA! LOL! :)

Yep, when you start scribbling notes everywhere and would rather seek out new transponders and satellites than actually watch TV, you are one hooked fish! LOL!

You can now be "really" and officially welcomed to the FTA club! Glad to have you here! You are now a TRUE satellite "junkie".

:welcome

RADAR

Success!! I found the KTEL-DT channel.....it was a matter of not being pointed

directly at the sat. I noticed that the motorized setting was on Diseqc 1.2. I

first set it to USALS, and press the " Go To " button, then switch to Dis. 1.2 and

move it eastward a tad..... I know, I know, I need to realign my dish. It's not hitting

exactly where it should, but at least I know what's causing me the issues.

Success!! I found the KTEL-DT channel.....it was a matter of not being pointed

directly at the sat. I noticed that the motorized setting was on Diseqc 1.2. I

first set it to USALS, and press the " Go To " button, then switch to Dis. 1.2 and

move it eastward a tad..... I know, I know, I need to realign my dish. It's not hitting

exactly where it should, but at least I know what's causing me the issues.

SATisfied,

A really simple thing to do (so that you don't have to hunt around with DiSEqC 1.2 positioning of your motor to dial in each satellite) is to just change your longitude coordinate in the USALS menu.

Now that you have KTEL channel in, set that satellite back to using USALS and adjust the longitude degrees a little east or west until it starts increasing the signal quality. When you determine which direction you need to go, continue adjusting the longitude in that direction until the quality peaks out.

Once you have this set, then ALL other satellites wil be spot on (provided that the motor latitude and dish elevation adjustments are correct).

This method is much more simple than using DiSEqC 1.2 since once you have it set well for one satellite, all the others will follow.

RADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.