Can scan only vertical frequencies

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

kelleyga

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 13, 2005
THIS BUD WAS WORKING, I JUST HAD TO REPLACE AN LNBF THAT WENT BAD.

I got 2 receivers, a Fortec II Mercury and a Viewsat. 12 foot BUD ad a BSC421 LNBF. I have tried the 2 receivers I can only get Vertical channels. I was told the receiver is the one that sends the signal to the LNBF to make the switch. I changed the LNBF and still only Vertical. Maybe I need to place the LNBF on a specific place (I mean rotate it until I get Horizontal).

This LNB has some number 30, 0, 30. So I elevated my BUD to the TS and then aligned the 0 line to be horizontal (0 degrees) while the BUD is at 90 digrees from the top to the floor (TS)

What do you guys think? Thanks.

It's voltage to the LNB. Someone alot smarter than me will tell you the details, but if you are only getting one side of the polarity, it's alignment of the LNB or voltage. I would first make sure the polarity is set right with only one receiver connected. That means one is 'unplugged', as it still shoots voltage when turned off and plugged in...

I only have 2 receivers but only one connected. What I meant to say was that either one only gets Vertical, so it is too hard to say that the 2 receivers are bad. This must be the LNBF. I will start turning it until I get one of the Horizontal and see.

Thanks.

I thought you meant you had both receivers plugged in at the same time, which would cause the LNB to get confused with extra voltage unless a switch is inserted.

How long is your cable?
What other hardware do you have between the receiver and the LNBF?

I suggest you take the receiver out to the dish and try again.

The LNBF will receive Vertical signals if it is powered with 13 volts.
The LNBF will receive Horizontal transponders if it is powered with 18 volts.
You -can- use a volt meter to check the voltage at the LNBF.

It is possible both receivers have been damaged.
More likely is a voltage drop on a long cable, through bad connectors, or switches (IMO).

Right now I am next to the dish with a long cable. I will make a very small one, but it was working when I tested with the same cable long time ago.
Model BSC421 DMS International.
Nothing in the middle. I have a cable connected to the LNBF and from there straight to the receiver

Guys, If I hold the LNBF on my hand with the coax cable connected between the LNBF and the Receiver and I change channels from Horizontal to Vertical, and I remove the cap from the LNBF, Should I be able to see something moving when I change the channels?

I found a Volt Meter, sorry for this dumb question, but how do I use it? Where do I set it to? and where to I touch with the red/white cables?

I just scanned Intelsat 14 and 11 (45 and 43 degrees). I got some channels, the strange thing is that it will List Vertical frequencies (when doing a blind scan) and then it tries Horizontal scanning and lists the exact same channels that it got vertically but now with H showing. This happens in both 45 and 43 degrees satellites. Now I am really confused. It does the same in the Fortec and in the Viewsat.

I was setting this up in the receiver as a Universal LNB... maybe that is wrong. Now I am changing it to 5150 only. I will see. I also noticed even though I am able to find channels It is not finding all of them in Vertical. I get several with strong signal, but not finding all of other ones I know are there.

I got the same exact problem with the BSC421 DMS International. Had it since I purchased the BSC421. Would only receive H TP's though. Thought it was with the pansat 9200 putting out a too high of voltage, (H=18v,V=13v) but the problem persisted when I installed the Openbox. Seems like the BSC421 is a bit particular about the voltage. It will switch to V polarity if, for a fraction of a second, the voltage goes below 13v. The voltage then can return to something near or above 14 v, and it remains on V polarity. I discovered this with the Pansat. If I went to sat setup, and selected a different Diseqc port, then back to the port the BSC421 was on, it would switch polarity and receive the V polarities. Any how, I've "fixed" it by putting a diode in an aluminum box wired to two F chassis connectors. Wired inline to the BSC421 DMS International LNBF. Banded end of diode to the LNB F connector, non-banded end to Receiver F connector. Don't notice any detrimental loss. Q is the same(Openbox, Pansat9200 semi-retired) with or without the diode.

Last edited:
WOW,that sound DIFFICULT. Do you have a picture that I can see? To tell you the truth I did not understand how to even start doing what you are saying fixed the problem for you.

Thanks.

- don't support a manufacturer of substandard products; request a refund as it seems defective.
- nothing inside the LNBFs moves
- most C-band LNBFs you set them with their -0- or other center-mark to around 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock, with the antenna aimed at your True South bird, then peak accordingly.
- if you set the LNBF with the -0- mark at 12 o'clock, you may notice that V and H transponders are interchanged.
- the diode in a box idea probably works because the diode has a lot of self-capacitance; normally you'd want a small capacitor directly across the diode.

I tried with and without a capacitor, couldn't detect or see any difference. (Think I left the capacitor in, the box though) Don't have a picture, just this drawing. Also the placement, before or after the Diseqc switch didn't matter. Presently, as it's not weather proof, is indoors between the G-box and the Diseqc switch which is out at the dish. Could place it at the C band LNBF if I had a weather cover on it.

Attachments

• diode.jpg
    diode.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 196
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)