Can some suggest a simple postioner/polarity switcher?

mwdxer1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 3, 2015
Seaside Oregon
My old USS Maspro receiver died several months ago, so I had to come up with something quick as a dish mover/polarity switcher. I had a used Supra, but for the life of me I cannot figure the darn thing out. Trying to adjust the polarity, setting the satellites, it has not worked out well. Can someone suggest something simple to do that task for FTA? I also have old GI I have not tried, but since the old VC2 cage leaked, I have not plugged it in. It may be fine, but it may not be any easier to work with. I even looked on ebay for an old USS Maspro MR2, but no luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

I use 2 uniden 9000s for my Cband dishes. There is one on eBay right now but a bit pricey. VcIi was a separate unit. It controls polarity of the feedhorn and moves the dish.

Sent from my VS995 using the SatelliteGuys app!

I use 2 uniden 9000s for my Cband dishes. There is one on eBay right now but a bit pricey. VcIi was a separate unit. It controls polarity of the feedhorn and moves the dish.

Thanks. I am sure mine works. It is just too complicated for me to figure it out.

Thanks. I am sure mine works. It is just too complicated for me to figure it out.

Why mess around with 30 year old receivers, some of which might ONLY work with old pot actuator motors? Besides, I think you've basically amortized their price by now.

Buy one of these before it's too late, and get automatic control with your fta receiver: Titanium Satellite - Store

Reactions: . Raine and FTA4PA
My old USS Maspro receiver died several months ago, so I had to come up with something quick as a dish mover/polarity switcher. I had a used Supra, but for the life of me I cannot figure the darn thing out. Trying to adjust the polarity, setting the satellites, it has not worked out well. Can someone suggest something simple to do that task for FTA? I also have old GI I have not tried, but since the old VC2 cage leaked, I have not plugged it in. It may be fine, but it may not be any easier to work with. I even looked on ebay for an old USS Maspro MR2, but no luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Titanium Satellite - Store

Going out of production because of Chinese tariffs! You need to get one now!

Primestars link of an open ASC-1 box for $135 is the best price out there!

I paid $180 for my first, and then bought another for a backup after i heard the news!

I had a Linkbox 9000i as my FTA receiver slaved to a 4DTV unit like what you are doing!

I had that ASC-1 almost 2 years until the 4DTV finally died, and then I was forced into hooking up the ASC-1

I admit, I was scared of it! ( diseqc 1. or 1.2 or whatever diseqc?)

As it turned out, it was even easier to program in all the sats than it was with the 4DTV!

The Linkbox is in control of the dish by way of the ASC-1 including Horizontal and Vertical ( no more scanning one side and then the other and having duplicate channels)

My ASC-1 remote control is in a drawer without batteries, I can do everything except change the skew, that has to be done at the front panel of the ASC-1.

The only problem I had was to get up off my couch to go look at those small #s on the front when I could not find a sat that, I needed math to find! (how many counts for 1 degree)

Reactions: norman881
Do you need the sat receiver hooked up to the asc1 for the asc1 to work or can it be separate and move to different satellites on its own either msnually or by remote control?

I am from the old school having my analog satellite system back from 1985. What exactly is ASC1? That used to be the name of a satellite. My old Maspro, it was simple to just move to the next bird, lock it in and set the polarity. The Supra is so complicated. I just have no had any luck. If this unit isn't hard to figure out, it should work.

It looks like this unit will work well. I tried to order one online and there seemed to be an issue, so I got their phone number and will call them in the morning. Thanks.

Reactions: primestar31
Thanks again for the great suggestion. I called them and I have a unit on the way. I even got one of the open box units for $135. Hopefully I can get my BUD up and working. I was told using an IRD as a manual situation does not work out well. The Maspro stand alone worked well in that regard.

Reactions: KE4EST
Your ASC1 will be shipped tomorrow. Thank you. Great to talk about the years of BUD history!

To clarify: Our discussion about using IRDs as positioner / polarity controllers was based on the satellite and skew parameters being saved by odd/even channel assignments. Also, the need for a TV monitor to see multiple depth layers of GUI menus make IRDs difficult to fine tune settings on the fly and the technology prevents automatic positioning and polarity control. Yes, IRDs can be used for positioning/polarity control, but they add one more level of complexity to simply changing between satellites or channels.

Reactions: mwdxer1
Thanks again for the great suggestion. I called them and I have a unit on the way. I even got one of the open box units for $135. Hopefully I can get my BUD up and working. I was told using an IRD as a manual situation does not work out well. The Maspro stand alone worked well in that regard.

Glad you made a GREAT decision to buy one! Once you get it up and running with your receiver, you are going to wonder why you waited so long to switch to something like this, lol.

Don't hesitate to call Brian back if you need ANY help in setting it up, or getting it installed.

Reactions: mwdxer1
Your ASC1 will be shipped tomorrow. Thank you. Great to talk about the years of BUD history!

To clarify: Our discussion about using IRDs as positioner / polarity controllers was based on the satellite and skew parameters being saved by odd/even channel assignments. Also, the need for a TV monitor to see multiple depth layers of GUI menus make IRDs difficult to fine tune settings on the fly and the technology prevents automatic positioning and polarity control. Yes, IRDs can be used for positioning/polarity control, but they add one more level of complexity to simply changing between satellites or channels.

Thank you. It was great to talk about the early days of TVRO too. The old Maspro,. you could easily go into the menu to lock each location of each bird and at that point adjust the polarity. It took time, but it was easy. Trying to do the same thing with the Supra was not working out. Sure I can move the dish manually, but I have to go into another menu to adjust the polarity. Sometimes it would lock and sometimes it wouldn't. I fought with that for months since the Maspro died. I was about really to give up, until I decided to ask and I am glad I did. This is great. I will be able to get my satellites back, at least a lot of them. The BUD is only an 8.5 footer and I mainly want it for the diginets and most are in Mpeg2/4 some in S2. You are right, the old NQS dish is a bit small, but it gets most of what I want. Now after I get the Titanium unit and learn how to run it, I then can see if I can get the dish re-aligned. That old Dish is 34 years old and is in rough shape, but the fiberglass dish itself is decent. As I mentioned I have both the Pansat 9000 and 9500. The 9500 is more sensitive, but both work well. Thank you again. I will post the results when I get it up and going.

Glad you made a GREAT decision to buy one! Once you get it up and running with your receiver, you are going to wonder why you waited so long to switch to something like this, lol.

Don't hesitate to call Brian back if you need ANY help in setting it up, or getting it installed.

I am a 70 year old guy with yesterdays technology in my mind. So the learning curve sometimes is not easy. I have an old Samsung S4 phone and I even have issues with that at times. :). Again much appreciated.

Reactions: primestar31

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)