Can someone please help me with some info on DTV?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

miguelaqui

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
I am considering getting DTV because I may drop my second service provider and the Dish Network HD picture is simply not as good as my other service provider, so I thought I would give DTV a try.

I have only had really bad experience with calling DTV. I do not care about the DTV v/s Dish politics. I just care about pricing and and picture quality on the HD channels.

These are the only channels I really care about..(this is an odd combination) Military Channel, USA, History, Comedy, History and History 2 (it seems that DTV does not have H2 in HD, but I can live with that.) I also MIGHT want to get the Spanish channels. I currently only turn them on when I have a lot of extra time, and then turn them off later.

I do use the off-air HD tuner and I am not aware if that is even a true option. (this is an issue that seems to confuse some reps) I have 2 HD TV's connected, but they are never used at the same time or I will have them on the same thing while working in the house. I currently have 5 coax cables running through the walls to feed one HD TV for component video and have the other TV connected via HDMI, so I only need one HD receiver that also has an off-air tuner.

So what is the package for me? How much is it during the 2 year promotion? How much after the 2 year period is over? Will a DTV receiver work in HDMI and component video at the same time, or will one output turn off? Is there an off-air tuner add-on for the HDTV DVR? Is the remote for the HD DVR a UHF remote or just IR?

Thanks to all who will help me figure this out!

The pricing should be on their website for new customers, so I am going to skip that part, but I will help you with the other questions.
All outputs are live of each other on the HR series DVRs, meaning yes, you can output HDMI and component at the same time. Keep in mind that they will both output the same thing however. I mentioned the HR series, as that is what I had when I had D*. I would imagine that the other receivers are similar in that respect.

Yes, there is an off air tuner. The AM-21. If you decide to go with D*, try to get them to throw this in at the start. For that matter, try to get all the equipment that you think you might need now, and down the road, when you sign up. Generally speaking it will be cheaper on you that way.

All the remotes that I have had were combo UHF and IR remotes. You can change the mode in the settings menu of the receiver itself. Now again, I have only had the HR series dvrs. The standard equipment may not come with the same model remote.

You need Choice Xtra to get the channels you listed.

Year one - $35/mo ($25/mo for 10 months if you use a referral)
Year two - $59/mo (possibly slightly higher if price increases, avg $3/yr)
Year three - $69/mo plus any price increases (avg $3/yr)

Free HD service with Autopay. $10 if you get DVR ($20 advanced receiver fee, less $10 HD credit for auto bill-pay).

Save $10/mo for 10 months if you use a referral as well.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)