Can someone post the steps to upgrade to 6TB EHD?

bookworm370

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 11, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I have a couple Linux machines and would rather not upgrade to my new 6TB drive by taking 3 months to copy all my 1000's of recorded programs to the Hopper and then to the new drive.

I've seen posts that detail some steps on how to connect the 2 drive to a Linux machine and do copies of directories and or sub-directories/files from the old to the new.

I know the first step is to have the Hopper initialize and format the new 6TB drive before you do anything. I can take out the bare drive and connect both to the sata buss for the fastest transfer. But if anyone has the steps afterwards (I know it requires some form of DiskPart and either CP with options). But as each partition is limited to 500GB, I'm curious about the index files, which ones to put in which partitions, etc.

If you've successfully migrated, it would be greatly appreciated if you can put together a primer.

Thanks in advance,
Book

I have a couple Linux machines and would rather not upgrade to my new 6TB drive by taking 3 months to copy all my 1000's of recorded programs to the Hopper and then to the new drive.

I've seen posts that detail some steps on how to connect the 2 drive to a Linux machine and do copies of directories and or sub-directories/files from the old to the new.

I know the first step is to have the Hopper initialize and format the new 6TB drive before you do anything. I can take out the bare drive and connect both to the sata buss for the fastest transfer. But if anyone has the steps afterwards (I know it requires some form of DiskPart and either CP with options). But as each partition is limited to 500GB, I'm curious about the index files, which ones to put in which partitions, etc.

If you've successfully migrated, it would be greatly appreciated if you can put together a primer.

Thanks in advance,
Book

Hey there, bookworm370. You can also visit our External Hard Drive Support page here: MyDISH for compatibility requirements, important facts, and instructions for setting up and transferring DVR recordings. Hope this helps!

Did you see the posts over in the U548 Thread? If you have Linux machines then as long as you have your source EHDs and your new 6TB EHD (already formatted by the Hopper) you're all set. You can copy the contents of the Disharc folder from one EHD partition to an empty partition on the 6TB drive, but it must be done as root.

See this post #28

Reactions: TheKrell
You can copy the contents of the Disharc folder from one EHD partition to an empty partition on the 6TB drive, but it must be done as root.

I found that out the hard way. Fortunately, I'm pretty good with the "chown" command, too. :D

Reactions: Foxbat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)