Can Someone Recommend A Roof Mount

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

sidekick

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 17, 2005
Port Angeles, Washington
I'm finally going to put my FTA dish back up after moving into a new house. I'm going to have to do a roof mount as the eaves are just too high up and I'm not all that confortable with heights. Can someone recommend a good roof mount to use. I shouldn't have a problem with leakage as I an place it on a portion of the roof that acts as an eave. Thanks!

Dish mount suggestions

I'm finally going to put my FTA dish back up after moving into a new house. I'm going to have to do a roof mount as the eaves are just too high up and I'm not all that confortable with heights. Can someone recommend a good roof mount to use. I shouldn't have a problem with leakage as I an place it on a portion of the roof that acts as an eave. Thanks!

I recently mounted two 36" dishes for my friend and I didn't want to poke the roof so I made up mounts to bolt on the face of the eave facia board. The facia boards were slanted about 20 degrees so I made them to compensate. here's a pic. They are rock solid too.

One thing I did was add a short piece of pipe inside the lower section of the mast so that the U-bolts wouldn't crush it.

Attachments

• dish_mnts.JPG
    dish_mnts.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 176
  • dish_mnt.JPG
    dish_mnt.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 180
I recently mounted two 36" dishes for my friend and I didn't want to poke the roof so I made up mounts to bolt on the face of the eave facia board. The facia boards were slanted about 20 degrees so I made them to compensate. here's a pic. They are rock solid too.

One thing I did was add a short piece of pipe inside the lower section of the mast so that the U-bolts wouldn't crush it.

Great minds... ;) Looks vaguely familiar... very much like the rig my friend in Brooklyn thought up for the install I was involved in. The picture shows an early stage; later on (after I stripped out the bolts in the pole :rolleyes:), we used U-bolts and a 2 3/8" fence post mounted to the frame, very similar to yours!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 203
Tron - I remember your posts 'n pix from when you first got back.
I love the contrast between the new shiny hardware, and the old rusty I beam.
Very creative, too :cool:

McGuyver - Quite imaginative with that bracketry.
I may have to revisit my boxed-in-eaves, with that sort of idea in mind.
Mine are 1x6's, though. Works better on a buddy's house where they are 2x6's.

Sidekick - some members use non-penetrating roof mounts (NPRM)
That's attractive if you have a near-flat spot anywhere on the roof.
If you are handy with a welder, you could make one out of bedframes.
They often are weighted down with cement blocks for stability.
Here are some pictures of one, holding down a 6 foot dish.

If that's not going to work for you, maybe you could post pictures of the places you had in mind, and the guys with more experience will give you some sage advice. :cool:

McGuyver - Quite imaginative with that bracketry. I may have to revisit my boxed-in-eaves, with that sort of idea in mind. Mine are 1x6's, though. Works better on a buddy's house where they are 2x6's.:cool:

In that case you would add some wood reinforcement between the face of the eave and the brackets, a simple drawing will explain better. You could also add wood inside the boxed eave if you have access, there's a number of ways to solve issues, use your imagination.

I used this method once on a friend's mobile home trailer that had sheet metal skin on outside leaving nothing but the wall studs for support, so I put two lengths of 2x4 horizontally, one above the other, on outside of wall with lag screws, then mounted the dish mount on the 2x4's, it was solid when done.

Attachments

• drwg1.JPG
    drwg1.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 193
McGuyver -

When I put up my Dish antennas, on my eaves, I did double up with another 1x6 ?, which I laminated to the existing facia.
I spanned several studs to make room for two dishes.
I beveled the ends a bit, and painted the heck out of the new piece before lag-bolting it in place.
You really can't see the new wood, which may be 3..4 feet long.

In my particular case, reviewing several years of service with small dishes, I don't think a 36" would stay in place.
And a motor hanging off the bracketry would just be a fool's errand.
At least on my house, even doubled up, the eaves are not a good long-term solution.
Your mileage may vary. :cool:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts