Can someone tell me what I'm possibly pointing at?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ThatNerd

Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
Ohio
I have a Viewsat VS Pro. When I acquired it it had hacher firmware on it. I managed to get 97w but decided I would rather watch some english shows. I proceeded to find 91w as it has, according to lyngsat, cw and such but the hacker crap didn't have an updated 91w tp list and no way that I seen to change anything. I downloaded the factory firmware file from here and installed it. No 91w listed. I added a new sat and named it GALAXY 17 and added transponders from lyngsat. My receiver shows GALAXY 17 (0.0E). I can't figure out how to add what the location of the new sat is. Anyway, I proceeded to try to find it anyhow. Couldn't find it so I added a bunch of other sats close to 91w to see if I could hit anything remotely close to 91w and maybe eventually find it. Well I get 50% Q on tp 11720 with Intelsat 8 selected but nothings showing up where it usually says what sat I'm locked onto. These are my settings, Sat Intelsat 8, LNB Freq 9750/10600, TP 11720. Any idea what I'm hitting and why it isn't showing up that I'm locked on to anything? I can't get the quality to go past 50%. Thanks for any help

in older receivers it might be listed as Galaxy 11

but I'm confused...do you have C-Band or KU Band?
If KU Band what LNB type doe you have? Are there any numbers on it?

Find something uniquely identifiable, such as ABC News on Galaxy 28 at 89W (11955 V 19532). If you are on or near 91W, you only need to bump the dish east a little. Then you'll know exactly what satellite you are pointed at.

Added: Or maybe you're already on Galaxy 28 since Intelsat 8 is old name for it.

Do we assume you are doing Ku with at least a 90 cm dish and a linear lnb? Do you have a motor? It seems like you don't because motor set up is much more involved than what you are suggesting.

It doesn't matter what sat name is showing on your receiver, what matters is where the dish is pointed. Your hardware also doesn't know where it is pointed unless you tell it. You can edit the name whenever you want, your hardware doesn't care.

Suggest you find a strong tp for any single sat you want (lots of lists to look at, on this site or elsewhere), tune in that tp signal by adjusting your dish and then blind scan. Then see what sat you are hitting. You can then move as needed to where you want to be. The key here is what you get from your scan, not what your stb is telling you.

Sorry, I'm using a superdish with the original fss lnb and no motor. I wanted to give as much detail as I could and still forgot something. I did a blind scan and didn't come up with any channels at all. I wish Viewsat was still around to get updates from. Seems like all this would be a bit easier that way.

Last edited:
OK if its the original Superdish then you need to set the LNB to SINGLE or STANDARD and 10750 (not 9750/10600)

Is it motorized or are you just trying for one satellite?
Reason I ask is the stuff on 91W is C-Band (not KU). There is really nothing 24/7 on 91W KU right now

Just trying for one sat for now. I don't have a motor yet. I wasn't sure if there was anything of the KU variety on 91w. How do you differentiate between whats C-Band and whats KU on lyngsat? Is there any networks on Ku right now? Or any english stations? I'm sure all this is asked on a regular basis so I appreciate the help and patience.

I see the little c and ku on lyngsat now. Been looking at that site for I don't know how long and never caught that before

The viewsat pro was designed for a different time and for a different purpose. Even if you have loaded the original firmware it will not blind scan ( it will but you won't get anything) and if you are really lucky it may pre scan but what is loaded with the original firmware will be out dated. If you are lucky enough to find a satellite the chances of finding a active transponder is not very good. If you know where you are then you can manually edit the transponders and it will give you picture.

If you are just shooting in the dark and trying to find something this is not the receiver for that. I know I had one.

My suggestions are, if you can afford it, to buy a new receiver.

Maybe I should have left the hacker crap on it then lol. I've been looking for a BUD for C-band and have a few leads but thats a whole different thread I think. Any suggestions on what kind of receiver other than Viewsat? Or should I try for C-band as it doesn't seem theres much on KU?

c-band rules.
I use an openbox S9 , but read the thread on Satellite Av's new box coming out soon. may be a good option.
how much cash you have to spend will govern your decision.
Buy a box that does DVBS2 .

Openbox S9. I found a used one on Amazon.com for $87 shipped and it looked like new when I got it and was in the original packaging. It will do both C and Ku along with S and S2. It won't do 4.2.2 but there's not that may feeds in that format anyway.

If you grab an openbox s9 or s10 or get the new one that SatelliteAV is getting ready to release, you will be set. They are HD and DVBS2. Yes you want HD for sure.

What is it SatelliteAV is releasing? I tried to do a search on it but came up empty handed. They seem to be a good quality distributor from all the good stuff everyone on here has to say.

How do you differentiate between whats C-Band and whats KU on lyngsat? Is there any networks on Ku right now? Or any english stations? I'm sure all this is asked on a regular basis so I appreciate the help and patience.

C-Band transponder frequencies are always four digit numbers, Ku-Band transponder frequencies are always five digit numbers.

PBS is on 125W in HD, but you'll need a receiver capable of decoding or at least passing AC-3 (Dolby Digital). If it only passes AC-3, you'll need a separate Dolby Digital decoder. NBC is on 103W in HD, but you'll need a DVB-S2 capable receiver. A Superdish may have trouble picking up either of these networks reliably due to it being undersized.

Lots of English programming out there, especially on the above-mentioned satellites.

You can do quite well going forward with an Openbox s9 or s10.

As for your VS Pro, having had both a VS Ex and VS Ultra that worked well enough, I'd think you VS Pro will be ok for now for a single sat or even with a motor (but not the best). You will likely need to find the original factory software to clean it out before you go any further (google should come up with it). There should be both oem software and cleaner software (reset STB to oem settings) available, find the cleaner version if you can.

Your lnb has to be set up properly for anything to work. The lnb is working and getting power if your S value is above say 70. Can't get Q without an S value. An S of 40 on a VS may be the same as zero.

Ku tp's are typically 11500 and above but C band 3000 - 5000. Need an even bigger dish for C.

Pick a ku sat you want to look at and determine its elevation and azimuth for your location (again google can help with utilities or use dishpointer). Manually enter the tp you want to search for, then simply move your dish using a compass as a guide until you hit it. Then blind scan and see what you get. VS gives you a choice of scan increments, go 8 or smaller. Can be like finding a needle in a haystack but if you are systematic about it you can get a reference point this way and once you have one sat nailed, the rest is much easier. A due south sat can make it easest to get started.

This is a hobby so the effort you need to do to make this work is supposed to be fun.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)