Can the 722k OTA receive ClearQAM programs?

Ok, so it's the Qam that prevents it. When I first got my 612's Charter must have had (or still does) ATSC because I certainly could at that time, it was free with internet connection.
The TV at work is at least 10 years old, perhaps older. Would it be capable of getting clearQam signals from cable?. It gets Charter basic with no box.
Charter has never used ATSC so it is a pretty good bet that your ViP612 has never tuned (and will never tune) Charter.

The answer to your older TV or your ViP612 getting QAM (clear or otherwise) is NO.

You would need to replace the TV with one that has a QAM tuner (cablecard is not necessary), add a QAM capable DVD recorder, late model TiVo or use a cable box to get clear QAM. In no case will you be able to tune or record the content with your ViP612.

Charter has never used ATSC so it is a pretty good bet that your ViP612 has never tuned (and will never tune) Charter.

The answer to your older TV or your ViP612 getting QAM (clear or otherwise) is NO.

You would need to replace the TV with one that has a QAM tuner (cablecard is not necessary), add a QAM capable DVD recorder, late model TiVo or use a cable box to get clear QAM. In no case will you be able to tune or record the content with your ViP612.

But that's my point - the over 10yr old TV at work DOES get Charter channels with no cable box, of course only the in-the-clear channels on the basic package. Come to think of it, when Charter first came I highly doubt anyone had a QAM TV, and myself included, many people did not have a cable box at that time. Something is not adding up..... they must have had/or still have ATSC, and the at work present 10YR old TV either somehow does have QAM, or Charter does not use Qam on the clear channels in the most basic package.

And how does this fit in with what is being said? (from 2009, but is exactly what I am saying)
http://www.pcmech.com/forum/home-theater-audio-video/204535-charter-cable.html

There are other google finds that certainly suggest Charter did or does still have ATSC at least in certain areas.....

Last edited:
Something is not adding up..... they must have had/or still have ATSC, and the at work present 10YR old TV either somehow does have QAM, or Charter does not use Qam on the clear channels in the most basic package.
What's not adding up is that your not specifying which device or what channels you're talking about when you state that something worked.

Charter, in almost all cases, uses two different modulation schemes that coexist on the same cable to deliver television:

1. NTSC broadcast (old school, 6MHz/channel, pre-DTV)
2. QAM.

The elderly TV can handle NTSC broadcast in the CATV channel layout that makes up all of their "basic cable" (the first 30-50 channel numbers) offerings.

A modern* DISH Network receiver can handle neither.

* the model 6000 HD receiver could tune NTSC channels and MDU versions of the 384/811 used QAM as their only tuning method.

I have an answer from a Charter installer here in Eastern Ct. His explanation is that Charter "rebroadcasts" the OTA signal, so it is in ATSC here in the basic package. It comes from a tower in the adjoining town to me. In addition, the other channels such as USA, TNT, etc that we get at work with no cable box and on a non QAM TV, is because Charter kept the ATSC signal for those channels, an agreement made so low income people would not need a new TV or cable box. I am simply reporting what he said. He also said Charter is not the only cable company that does this....... None of these channels are digital and of course are in SD.

He said the local elderly housing project has the very basic service as part of the rent, and any TV will work by design, so there would not be complaints.

I was definitely mistaken in my original answer, partly because I of this here. Even our very old VCR recorder will get the cable channels from the basic package and pass them through to the TV at work. (other FH)

Last edited:
I have an answer from a Charter installer here in Eastern Ct. His explanation is that Charter "rebroadcasts" the OTA signal, so it is in ATSC here in the basic package. It comes from a tower in the adjoining town to me. In addition, the other channels such as USA, TNT, etc that we get at work with no cable box and on a non QAM TV, is because Charter kept the ATSC signal for those channels, an agreement made so low income people would not need a new TV or cable box. I am simply reporting what he said. He also said Charter is not the only cable company that does this....... None of these channels are digital and of course are in SD.

He said the local elderly housing project has the very basic service as part of the rent, and any TV will work by design, so there would not be complaints.

I was definitely mistaken in my original answer, partly because I of this here. Even our very old VCR recorder will get the cable channels from the basic package and pass them through to the TV at work. (other FH)

I think that when you are saying ATSC that you really mean to say NTSC.
ATSC is always digital and can be SD or HD. NTSC is always analog and always SD.

I think that when you are saying ATSC that you really mean to say NTSC.
ATSC is always digital and can be SD or HD. NTSC is always analog and always SD.

You are probably correct, I say that only because the Installer said that, and the link I gave said that. Thanks for that clarification.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts