Can the SWM/H24 be used as an ethernet bridge?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

erico

Original poster
Nov 4, 2009
Kentucky
I have a DECA in my basement attached to my ethernet network. From there both my H24 and HR24 are able to access the internet through the SWM. Is it possible to use the receiver Ethernet ports to bridge this network for nearby devices (i.e. Xbox)?

BTW, if no one tries to talk sense into me, I'm trying this tonight.

Last edited:
I have a DECA in my basement attached to my ethernet network. From there both my H24 and HR24 are able to access the internet through the SWM. Is it possible to use the receiver Ethernet ports to bridge this network for nearby devices (i.e. Xbox)?

BTW, if no one tries to talk sense into me, I'm trying this tonight.

Someone mentioned that in this or another thread and advised against it as the DECA is designed to run D* stuff specifically.

Also, using the second port on the receiver is not a good idea since it takes CPU cycles from the DVR to support that port. Thus, potentially making the DVR function poorly. There shouldn't be any harm done if you try it. Just don't call DirecTV for assistance as that is unsupported.

You are in for some misery....if you plug in that ethernet cable you will disable the internal DECA. It's fun to get it working right again.....The only unapproved way of doing what you want to do is split the coax cable before the H24 using a green labeled SWiM splitter. Attach a deca adapter the unused leg of the splitter (the other goes into the H24) and connect your x-box or other devices to the ethernet port on the DECA adapter. You will slow the performance of MRV using this unapproved method.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts