Can these be received?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RT-Cat

"My person-well trained"
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Cold, Cold,Michigan USA
Looking at Lyngsat for AMC-3 87 degrees I found on TP5 3800H a large list of stations. They are listed with the free or not scrambled symbol from Lyngsat, but I can not get anything, no S or Q. Are these stations something that someone/anyone here can receive?

RT.

I can't see them at all , with my 6 footer in Holland. If you're north of me, RT-Cat you'll need a bigger dish than 6 foot, because the EIRP line falls south of Holland. Weaker signal up north. :)

They're all DVB-S2 H.264 HD signals. Need an Openbox, AZbox etc to view them.

Those ar not the only two receivers that will grab the s-2 signals... Do some research and look around. Read up on reviews.The trick to getting any receiver is to get one that you will like with the system that you have. Have a great day!

Those ar not the only two receivers that will grab the s-2 signals... Do some research and look around. Read up on reviews.The trick to getting any receiver is to get one that you will like with the system that you have. Have a great day!
Even my CS 8000 should be able to tune the tp, but I need a bigger dish considering the EIRP footprint.

I can't see them at all , with my 6 footer in Holland. If you're north of me, RT-Cat you'll need a bigger dish than 6 foot, because the EIRP line falls south of Holland. Weaker signal up north. :)
I have an 8ft mesh dish in Ludville. Have signal but my machine will not decode them.

I cannot agree more with you. I looked at a review on the openbox and the manual. No component, no optical sound output, only HDMI and my set has DVI. It may be new and pick more but it looked like a down grade to me.

RT.

...I looked at a review on the openbox and the manual. No component, no optical sound output, only HDMI and my set has DVI. It may be new and pick more but it looked like a down grade to me.

RT.

The OpenBox S9 is still available and offers those "upgrade" connectors!

It is a great receiver! :D

Interesting. I looked over one of those. S10 new, maybe better, but the S9 would "fit" much better with the other components in my system.

RT.
I just got a S10 other than no instruction book and impossible to understand PDF instruction book. It is a very small unit. I might lose it under a book if I not careful. Not as many connections other than Audio video and the HDMI work for me.

I've been able to get those signals on a finely tuned 7.5ft dish using a Coolsat 8100. My new Manhattan pulls them in better. The Manhattan seems to have a more sensitive tuner than the Coolsat did. I have never tried an Openbox to be able to compare.

I said "They're all DVB-S2 H.264 HD signals. Need an Openbox, AZbox etc to view them.".

The etc. meant the Manhattan and all the others that can do S2. The S9 is in my opinion the best Openbox as the S10 is a raped version of the S9 with all the various outputs gone! The S10 might be great for an RV with a HDMI TV because of its size...but for a home where you may upgrade the living room receiver and move it to say an old TV in the garage you can't...no output for that!

So the S9 "had" green tint problems. Those are fixed now and with a S10 you can't even get a component picture, green or otherwise!

I'm probably going to buy a Manhattan for the living room and put the S9 in the BR which does have a 32" HDTV with HDMI. But if that TV quit on me I'd have to get the old 20" out of the basement and hook the S9 to it...which the S9 can do...S10 can't.

With all that said, take a look at the Manhattan...it is looking very promising...So it cost a little more, but hey, the clock works!!!

Last edited:
The S10 has HDMI and composite (red/yellow/white) so you can hook it up to an older TV. I hooked mine to the 7" portable to verify the ports work

The only thing it doesnt have is component (red/blue/green)....

The S10 has a US plug and is TINY......most folks dont need component

The S10 has HDMI and composite (red/yellow/white) so you can hook it up to an older TV. I hooked mine to the 7" portable to verify the ports work

The only thing it doesnt have is component (red/blue/green)....

The S10 has a US plug and is TINY......most folks dont need component
Maybe most folks don't NEED component video, but most folks wouldn't object if it were available. I find that my Solomend 800 is much more satisfying than the S10 would be, because of the options that it presents. :)

...The S9 is in my opinion the best Openbox as the S10 is a raped version of the S9 with all the various outputs gone! The S10 might be great for an RV with a HDMI TV because of its size...but for a home where you may upgrade the living room receiver and move it to say an old TV in the garage you can't...no output for that!

After looking over several different receivers I went back to the S9. I have to agree with your thoughts of the difference in the S9 and the S10. As stated the "extra" connections would fit much better with all the "stuff" in my home theater. Even IF my TV had HDMI it still could not compare with the high quality speakers all around the room. If you have great sound available, why not put it to good use. Left/right output sound just does not compare to optical output.
One thing is a shock to me is the bad quality manual or none at all. What are the manufacturers doing, saving a few bucks with no manual???
With all this in mind, my S9 was listed as shipped today. So in time we will know.

RT.
(Thanks for all the interesting comments):)

Last edited by a moderator:
Fixed your quote problem RT;)

I've been able to get those signals on a finely tuned 7.5ft dish using a Coolsat 8100. My new Manhattan pulls them in better. The Manhattan seems to have a more sensitive tuner than the Coolsat did. I have never tried an Openbox to be able to compare.
I noticed the same tuner difference with my CS8000 . The Manhattan and Solomend both pull in the same signal better. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts