Can Voom DSR-500 be used as OTA receiver only?

donzo

Original poster
Jan 30, 2005
Can Voom DSR-550 be used as OTA receiver only?

I have searched all over and can not find answer. If one would choose to use
the Voom DSR-500 as an OTA receiver only without subbing, could this be possible? Will the latest firmware make a difference? DSR-550's are available on E-bay for $50-$80. If this unit can be used for OTA purposes, this would be a good deal, if not, the receiver would be useless unless you subscribe. Would Voom subscribe to a self install? Would they activate a receiver purchased from a 3rd party? Any help clearing up this confusion would be helpful!

Welcome to the forum, donzo!
There is no guarantee that VOOM receiver (DSR-550) purchased on EBay will work as an OTA tuner. It may, or it may not. This depends on software version, on whether it was activated or deactivated, etc. And no, VOOM will not activate/upgrade receiver not purchased through an authorized reseller.

Ilya said:
Welcome to the forum, donzo!
There is no guarantee that VOOM receiver (DSR-550) purchased on EBay will work as an OTA tuner. It may, or it may not. This depends on software version, on whether it was activated or deactivated, etc. And no, VOOM will not activate/upgrade receiver not purchased through an authorized reseller.

Thanks for the info. The DSR-550 in question was manufactured in Dec 2004.
Hopefully it will have the most current software to receive OTA. Otherwise it is a doorstop. Will check it out when it arrives.

donzo said:
The DSR-550 in question was manufactured in Dec 2004.
If that's true, then it's most likely stolen! Why would anyone pay $499 just to sell it for peanuts a month later??? Just think about it!
If I were you, I would cancel the purchace and get your money back, if you still can...

Ilya said:
If that's true, then it's most likely stolen! Why would anyone pay $499 just to sell it for peanuts a month later??? Just think about it!
If I were you, I would cancel the purchace and get your money back, if you still can...

Why does ebay allow this to continue??? And why does ebay not allow users to easily contact them to report the selling of these boxes. The sellers know they cant be activated, thats why they put the silly disclaimer on the ads saying that they dont know anything about getting them activated. They obviously know and thats why they are going for 50 bucks on ebay.

vurbano said:
Why does ebay allow this to continue??? And why does ebay not allow users to easily contact them to report the selling of these boxes. The sellers know they cant be activated, thats why they put the silly disclaimer on the ads saying that they dont know anything about getting them activated. They obviously know and thats why they are going for 50 bucks on ebay.

I contacted Voom last night and rep stated there is nothing that can be done to stop this on E-bay. Unfortunately, the unit has been already shipped. The E-bay seller has agreed to refund my money if the unit is something I cannot use. Voom confirmed to me that the DSR 550 new and factory sealed
cannot be activated and that I would have to purchase a unit from them. Tech support would not even talk with me. We will see what happens. I will keep you all posted so others will not fall into this trap.

Update: Unit received from E-bay was brand new and factory sealed.
Software version was 6.0. Since this has never been activated, there
is no known procedure to authorize unit for OTA purposes only. Without
activation the only use of this unit would be to scan for local HDTV signals
to see signal strength, and if someone needed extra remote and cables. E-bay seller refunded my money and told me to keep the STB as he obviously
has no use for it either. Unless there is internal
modification that can be done this box is a doorstop!

donzo, there were a bunch (I don't know the number) of VOOM STBs stolen. Apparently, these are the "new" ones showing up on E-bay over the past few months. At least you got your money back. Maybe the seller didn't want you to make a fuss.

Still enjoying HDTV under rainy Seattle skies, Gill

What would be interesting to note, is, if Voom goes out of business, and they have a bunch of the HD DVR's ready and leftover, could they be sold, and used for over the air HD recording. Would they have firewire, component, dvi, hdmi, inputs for recording from other services (cable, directv, dish)? How hard would Motorola and uCentric have to work to make this into a standalone HD receiver that works with all services, instead of a Voom only device. Motorola and uCentric could stand to make a lot of money with a whole house solution that wasn't voom specific! :rolleyes:

Wow! Voom really has the right idea, not allowing any STB to work unless it is purchased at an above market price and insatlled by their anoited installer! Just think how great this would be if Car Dealers could work out the same plan! Then there would be no used car lots or private owner sales. The only way a used car could be used is if the dealer bought it back, probably near scrap value, and sold it on his lot. With a little chip included in the car's computer, this would be easy. If the car were not brought into the dealer for service regularly, it would simply shut down the ignition! Wow! Dealers would make soooo much more money!!

Tony N said:
Wow! Voom really has the right idea, not allowing any STB to work unless it is purchased at an above market price and insatlled by their anoited installer! Just think how great this would be if Car Dealers could work out the same plan! Then there would be no used car lots or private owner sales. The only way a used car could be used is if the dealer bought it back, probably near scrap value, and sold it on his lot. With a little chip included in the car's computer, this would be easy. If the car were not brought into the dealer for service regularly, it would simply shut down the ignition! Wow! Dealers would make soooo much more money!!
What do you think the GPS tracking chip in your car is for? And please don't say to help you out when you get lost or report an accident. Although that can certainly be done when you pay for the service. I don't think Car Dealers had this plan, but you probably just give them an idea. The real reason is to insure they get paid when they impose an illegal U.N. Tax that you may not be willing to pay, hence they cut your car off.

donzo said:
Update: Unit received from E-bay was brand new and factory sealed.
Software version was 6.0. Since this has never been activated, there
is no known procedure to authorize unit for OTA purposes only. Without
activation the only use of this unit would be to scan for local HDTV signals
to see signal strength, and if someone needed extra remote and cables. E-bay seller refunded my money and told me to keep the STB as he obviously
has no use for it either. Unless there is internal
modification that can be done this box is a doorstop!

Send me the number of the box and i can find out if it is stolen

Tyork

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)