Can you access your DVR remotely?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
There was an unsupported service called Direct2PC, but I could never get the software to work on any of my PC's. I am not sure if that's still being offered now that they introduced DirecTV Everywhere. I use a SlingBox to stream my DVR content to my Laptops or iPod Touch. SlingBox works great and there are no extra monthly fees, but there is an upfront cost for the hardware. See the announcement on the first page of the SatelliteGuys homepage for details of the unannounced new SlingBoxes due out later this month.

Direct2PC is still available and it does work with all DirecTV DVR's the big problem to the DirecTV everywhere is it's not what they advertise. First Direct2PC only works on your home network. Second "DirecTV Everywhere" only allows a very small subset of content to be delivered to any device not on your home network.

I even talked to some people that just had DirecTV installed and they were all excited about using a portable computer or Tablet/Smartphone to be able to stream any and all content from their service to the remote location using DirecTV Everywhere. I then told them that DirecTV Everywhere does not work like that, only a few channels are allowed to be streamed to a remote device.

If they want to do this they would require a Slingbox, shame on DirecTV for implying that DirecTV Everywhere is the same thing.

John

JohnL said:
Direct2PC is still available and it does work with all DirecTV DVR's the big problem to the DirecTV everywhere is it's not what they advertise. First Direct2PC only works on your home network. Second "DirecTV Everywhere" only allows a very small subset of content to be delivered to any device not on your home network.

I even talked to some people that just had DirecTV installed and they were all excited about using a portable computer or Tablet/Smartphone to be able to stream any and all content from their service to the remote location using DirecTV Everywhere. I then told them that DirecTV Everywhere does not work like that, only a few channels are allowed to be streamed to a remote device.

If they want to do this they would require a Slingbox, shame on DirecTV for implying that DirecTV Everywhere is the same thing.

John

That is correct for now but the Ultimate goal is for you to be able to do this. Its a matter of negotiating with providers as contracts run out.

This is truly sad! In this age how hard can it be to"dial" into your receiver and access taped shows? Shaking head!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts