Also thinking about making the switch to Direct TV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pacochu

Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
Houston, TX
I've read through a few threads, so I have a basic knowledge on what to do/expect, but I still wanted to a make a thread and post some questions. I live in Kingwood, TX which is NE of Houston.We have Suddenlink for cable and I would keep them for internet at about $50/mo. Our Suddenlink picture has never been perfect, the DVR only records two things at once (and you have to watch one of them or something else previously recorded) and we only have one DVR/Cable Box, so channel selection is limited in the other rooms with TVs.

So, I want to switch to DIRECTV. The house is newer (2005 build) and is pre-wired with RG6 in each room. There is one main feed from the outside where the cable comes in. There is a wiring center, but the cable is currently distributed through a series of splitters. I do plan on installing real distribution components for TV/Phone/Network in the near future. Is this wiring setup sufficient? I plan on one Whole House DVR with two-three additional receivers for the other rooms. I've gotten reports from a neighbor that you can still get cable channels when getting only the internet. So, I was hoping to test that out before before paying for an additional box that gets used very rarely. How much extra is it to get a box a later date to do a self-install? Also, I see a lot of model numbers tossed around. Is there certain boxes I should ask for when making my purchase?

As far as pricing goes, I assume it's best to wait until 10/10 before ordering? I'm in no hurry and still have a lot of stuff left to watch on my DVR. I have a neighbor with DTV and already have his account number for the referral. I am also a AAA member, so I plan on that discount too. Can I stack them? Is there any other place to look for discounts/referral fees? I only know of $55 from FatWallet.

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

The reports are that as of 10/10, the HR34 and C31 setup will be free for new customers, so you should wait. The C31 doesn't have it's own tuner, but uses on of the 5 in the HR34. If you got one of the H series receivers instead of the C31, you would have the tuner in it available to you. I don't know how the pricing would work with them, though. The splitters will have to be removed since they won't work with Directv. As far as the cable channels you would get with internet only, that varies by the cable company. You may get only a few, or all of the locals in hd and some more. The discounts can be stacked.

Hello pacochu,

As to your cable company it depends whether they scramble some or all of their channels. Even if they do not scramble the channels today tomorrow might be a different matter. I would suggest you try an experiment. Using one cable box and tv remove the cable from the tv and take cable going into the cable box and plug cable box cable directly into the tv. You will either see some channels in the clear or none. You may see the channels you want. Reconnect your cables back to the way they were at the cable box and tv. Cable signals and DTV satellite signals must be isolated from each other and run through different RG6 cables. Good for you if you take the plunge to get DirecTV. :up

Hi, my name is Shannon and I am with Suddenlink. I would appreciate the opportunity to review your account if you could please email me directly at shannon-AT-suddenlink-DOT-com. Thank you!

:welcome to Satelliteguys SDLshannon. I don't mean to sound like a Doubting Thomas, but how do we know you are really with Suddenlink? This is your first post here at Satelliteguys.

Shannon, I have been informed that you indeed are with Suddenlink. Please don't take offense at my previous post. With identity theft rampant it pays to be careful.

Things have probably changed since years prior, but Radioshack used to sell cable/satellite signal splitters. Not sure whether you can use them now with HD signals. Also too, Comcast switched to digital signals so any analog TV tuners have to have the digital box. (I'm assuming the box changes the signal back to analog before sending it to your TV). I tried a tv with a digital tuner... some channels were fine, some scrambled and some there was picture but no sound. But that's Comcast. Also pacochu, will Suddenlink charge you more for just internet service only vs internet and cable?

Shannon - Thanks for the offer, but I've already spoken to Suddenlink.

Sudden has switched to all digital and the two old analog tv's we have do need one of their little free boxes to get a picture. I would love to replace them with newer TV's and will probably do so soon. We have three TV's that get all the use. The three TV's upstairs get used very rarely. They only get turned on when guests are here. I'd have to pay $6/mo for a box that probably would see very little use. I'd also hate to have to spend money on one at a later date if I do not get the same cable channels my neighbor gets via the cable. He has Directv and uses cable for internet only. I can get by upstairs with the basic channels (2-75, plus broadcast HD). How much would it cost to add a box in the future if I desired to do so?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)