Can you add more memory to Hopper 2 DVR boxes?

Won't fix any problems, and will cause a loss of redundancy. And lock me in to a 2 year commitment, which I used to not mind, but do now.

There is a chance we will reduce our Dish subs to minimum and watch our EHDs for a year or two. Might lose a few shows, but find others to replace them.

Nothing wrong with that. Have you considered just using a streaming service for a while and signing back up for Dish later if you need to?

It certainly can. It may not be what many like to hear but they can do what they want in order to convince people to upgrade. I'm not saying it's the best way or smartest but it seems to be their goal right now.
So you're saying Dish's strategy may be to "force" people to upgrade to the H3 by making the previous hoppers functionality clumsy and sluggish.
Well, I read yesterday that Dish is officially retiring the VIP series receivers in October and will no longer offer them, which leaves customers with no option other than the hopper, so you may have something there.
Only existing customers that already have a VIP receiver will receive a replacement in kind if necessary.

So you're saying Dish's strategy may be to "force" people to upgrade to the H3 by making the previous hoppers functionality clumsy and sluggish.
Well, I read yesterday that Dish is officially retiring the VIP series receivers in October and will no longer offer them, which leaves customers with no option other than the hopper, so you may have something there.
Only existing customers that already have a VIP receiver will receive a replacement in kind if necessary.

It's very possible. Companies sometimes reach a point where they decide to force people to upgrade and risk losing some customers versus spending more money supporting outdated technology. Just a theory I have.

So, is it just that Dish will no longer sell them, or will they also refuse to reactivate one if you already have one, or purchase one from a third party?

It's very possible. Companies sometimes reach a point where they decide to force people to upgrade and risk losing some customers versus spending more money supporting outdated technology. Just a theory I have.
I thought that Dish would have stopped supporting the old MPEG-2 8PSK receivers, and switched all of the channels to MPEG-4, before retiring the ViP series.

So, is it just that Dish will no longer sell them, or will they also refuse to reactivate one if you already have one, or purchase one from a third party?

I thought that Dish would have stopped supporting the old MPEG-2 8PSK receivers, and switched all of the channels to MPEG-4, before retiring the ViP series.

Not sure how they're going about it. It's amazing how old some equipment customers still have out there.

Watching a program then trying to delete it, only to find another program has appeared and you're about to delete it instead.

Having a ghost recording ....
These are new issues that no doubt were introduced with recent s/w updates. These issues do NOT occur on the Hopper 3. I'm not saying that to prod you to switch either, I'm just saying they're not CUI issues in general.

Reactions: Scherrman
These are new issues that no doubt were introduced with recent s/w updates. These issues do NOT occur on the Hopper 3. I'm not saying that to prod you to switch either, I'm just saying they're not CUI issues in general.

That is good to know. Especially as I asked this specific question previously Issues Surrounding CUI Update, and the only answer I received was "Err- Just a guess: ALL of them? They just happen faster? CUI is, what CUI is."

Reactions: navychop
I still have a first gen iPad which seems almost worthless now because no recent apps work on it. The device itself works great but it doesn't run many things because it relies on third party apps.
That is Apple's forced obsolescence and there's one "solution" - upgrade to a newer iPad. Apple, through software, effectively crippled your iPad. They did this by a) not providing iOS updates and b) imposing app developers to only "support" iOS versions of a certain level and higher.

Dish effectively obsoleted older Hoppers with the CUI update. Well, the Hopper 2 is probably acceptable - we ran it for a year and it was fine. A Hopper 1, on the other hand, no way can it properly handle it. We had an H1 and upgraded to an H2 and the performance improvement from the H1 to H2 was absolutely noticeable. I know that JSheridan has made a valid point that new customers coming from cable are impressed with the H1 with the CUI and that's all well and good - it's an improvement or upgrade for them. For an existing Dish customer, it's no doubt a performance downgrade though.

That is Apple's forced obsolescence and there's one "solution" - upgrade to a newer iPad. Apple, through software, effectively crippled your iPad. They did this by a) not providing iOS updates and b) imposing app developers to only "support" iOS versions of a certain level and higher.

Dish effectively obsoleted older Hoppers with the CUI update. Well, the Hopper 2 is probably acceptable - we ran it for a year and it was fine. A Hopper 1, on the other hand, no way can it properly handle it. We had an H1 and upgraded to an H2 and the performance improvement from the H1 to H2 was absolutely noticeable. I know that JSheridan has made a valid point that new customers coming from cable are impressed with the H1 with the CUI and that's all well and good - it's an improvement or upgrade for them. For an existing Dish customer, it's no doubt a performance downgrade though.

Wouldn't Apple and Dish basically have the same concept then?

Yes and I'm defending either. Neither company should do it, IMO.

Is that the same thing ? :p

Sounds about the same. I'm sure their are other companies that do that same thing that we just don't pay any attention to as well. I know appliance makers do it all the time buy not making parts available to fix them. Almost all appliances are designed to last about 10 years if you are lucky.

Yes and I'm defending either. Neither company should do it, IMO.

Is that the same thing ? :p

IMHO, this is the cost of the rate at which we innovate. Business wants things to change fast to build revenue which is sometimes at odds with the stability users crave. Of course users also want new features and things to look nicer, etc. If users were more sensitive to changes, perhaps big changes like the CUI would cause them to leave in droves, which would indicate to the business that a fast rate of innovation was unacceptable. Then software engineers would have more time to get the software to run correctly and performantly on the older hardware, which has far fewer resources than the platform for which the software was originally designed.

The reality as I see it is the business is going to compete to get new customers and keep existing customers with the minimum investment possible. If they take too long, the risk is someone else will win their customers. If they ship crap because they didn't take long enough, the risk is the customers will leave. The balance point is shipping something as good as possible to attract and keep customers while being not so crappy as to alienate customers. This is the case for almost all software in my experience.

The pace at which this happens unfortunately obsoletes old hardware. It is just a sad fact of life in a technological world.

Reactions: comfortably_numb

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)