Can you add more memory to Hopper 2 DVR boxes?

How is it that Microsoft can issue 10-20 software revisions a month to Windows 10 and rarely have issues, but Dish can't issue one revision every two months without crashing their whole system? Do they get their programmers from Daycare?

I do not do programming, so is there anyone at SatGuys that can provide a good answer?

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Sounds about the same. I'm sure their are other companies that do that same thing that we just don't pay any attention to as well. I know appliance makers do it all the time buy not making parts available to fix them. Almost all appliances are designed to last about 10 years if you are lucky.

It's been happening for ages. Look at the computer cpu/hardware vs software. They help each other since you will have software that runs slow on old hardware so when the new hardware comes out to make it faster than the software can handle, it is fast as more powerful than the software can push it so then the software will push the hardware to it's limits and then the hardware is replaced with something more powerful to repeat the same cycle again.

How is it that Microsoft can issue 10-20 software revisions a month to Windows 10 and rarely have issues, but Dish can't issue one revision every two months without crashing their whole system? Do they get their programmers from Daycare?

I do not do programming, so is there anyone at SatGuys that can provide a good answer?

So, writing software is hard. Writing good software is really hard. MS pays for the best people (of which there is a shortage) and manages them and their project well, and to be honest, I really think they are on a bit of a roll lately, even though I have not been a huge fan in the past. That said, remember Windows Vista.

Reactions: jerryez and dare2be
I wonder if the ratio of "programmers" to customers is not too different between those two companies.

Well Charlie doesn't like spending too much on salaries at DISH ,so you get what you pay for and what you don't.:cool:

So, is it just that Dish will no longer sell them, or will they also refuse to reactivate one if you already have one, or purchase one from a third party?

I thought that Dish would have stopped supporting the old MPEG-2 8PSK receivers, and switched all of the channels to MPEG-4, before retiring the ViP series.
New customers will be offered only the Hopper. Existing customers with a failing VIP receiver will be offered some sort of upgrade deal, otherwise they're get a VIP replacement for their failed receiver. It's unclear if Dish will activate an owned VIP receiver. I suppose it comes down to how badly they want the business.

Reactions: pattykay
New customers will be offered only the Hopper. Existing customers with a failing VIP receiver will be offered some sort of upgrade deal, otherwise they're get a VIP replacement for their failed receiver. It's unclear if Dish will activate an owned VIP receiver. I suppose it comes down to how badly they want the business.

Glad I sold mine while I had the chance.

It makes me wonder what Dish will do when they finally stop broadcasting in MPEG-2 and eliminate the really old receivers. I highly doubt they will give someone with a 512 a free upgrade to a Hopper 3, but it is starting to look more and more like Dish might actually be heading in that direction.

Reactions: littlecloud319
It makes me wonder what Dish will do when they finally stop broadcasting in MPEG-2 and eliminate the really old receivers. I highly doubt they will give someone with a 512 a free upgrade to a Hopper 3, but it is starting to look more and more like Dish might actually be heading in that direction.

Maybe not a Hopper 3, but a Hopper 1 or 2?

Or even ViP receivers. Just because Dish may be phasing them out (for new customers), it doesn't mean they can't use them for free upgrades to existing customers.
True. I was wondering how Dish would handle someone with a 322. Tell them to use two Wally receivers? That wouldn't go over very well, because of the additional receiver fee.

Reactions: littlecloud319

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)