Can you follow ESPN's Logic

Mets82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
conn.
I really dont want to pound on ESPN because they are getting ready to do one of the best things that they do which is Championship Week. They do a hell of a job with that.

I have to question the logic of them tonight, though. They are showing Baseball Classics on ESPN Classic. Thats fine. The game they chose: Cubs at. Cards from Sept. 98, McGwires' 62* home run. Why would you run that game?

1) The game doesnt mean anything anymore considering what has happened since then

2) Why would you, as a channel decide to show this game, when everyone is trying to forget about Steroids

I know people probably could care less about this topic but I just found it strange thats all.

Also, the game was on fox yet they dont show any graphics or anything. You do hear the fox baseball theme music but they show no graphics with the exception of a split screen with Sosa and McGwire. I mean they show no replays. Also you could hear Joe Buck say "Hear's what Sosa and McGwire were like yesterday" and they never showed it.

I just find it strange.

ESPN Classic is such a wasted network. I never watch it anymore. What I don't get is why ESPN does their stupid Disney weekend thing. What's the point of that? They hype it like it's a big event and all it is is Baseball Tonight at Disneyworld talking about A-Rod and Manny Rameriez. Yawn.

ESPN Classic is such a wasted network. I never watch it anymore. What I don't get is why ESPN does their stupid Disney weekend thing. What's the point of that? They hype it like it's a big event and all it is is Baseball Tonight at Disneyworld talking about A-Rod and Manny Rameriez. Yawn.

Thank god for the NHL and MLB Networks, not to mention NBA TV.

The only time I have recently seen ESPN Classic was to watch a couple of old NBA All-Star Games.

I really dont want to pound on ESPN because they are getting ready to do one of the best things that they do which is Championship Week. They do a hell of a job with that.

I have to question the logic of them tonight, though. They are showing Baseball Classics on ESPN Classic. Thats fine. The game they chose: Cubs at. Cards from Sept. 98, McGwires' 62* home run. Why would you run that game?

1) The game doesnt mean anything anymore considering what has happened since then

2) Why would you, as a channel decide to show this game, when everyone is trying to forget about Steroids

I know people probably could care less about this topic but I just found it strange thats all.

Also, the game was on fox yet they dont show any graphics or anything. You do hear the fox baseball theme music but they show no graphics with the exception of a split screen with Sosa and McGwire. I mean they show no replays. Also you could hear Joe Buck say "Hear's what Sosa and McGwire were like yesterday" and they never showed it.

I just find it strange.

Because ESPN, though it has it decent moments on occassion...as you mentioned, Championship Week...They think they are now BIGGER than life itself....and at times, they think they are BIGGER than the very same sports they cover. They annoy the crap out of me more times than they should. Sometimes, the reporters THEMSELVES think they are bigger than the athletes. Boy do I miss CNN Sports...:(

Because ESPN, though it has it decent moments on occassion...as you mentioned, Championship Week...They think they are now BIGGER than life itself....and at times, they think they are BIGGER than the very same sports they cover. They annoy the crap out of me more times than they should. Sometimes, the reporters THEMSELVES think they are bigger than the athletes. Boy do I miss CNN Sports...:(

You said it, Salsa!! :up

I used to watch Nick Charles, Fred Hickman, Jim Huber, Gary Miller, Dan Patrick, etc. EVERY night on CNN. They covered sports the RIGHT way!

You said it, Salsa!! :up

I used to watch Nick Charles, Fred Hickman, Jim Huber, Gary Miller, Dan Patrick, etc. EVERY night on CNN. They covered sports the RIGHT way!

But the problem NOW is, ESPN USE TO have some competition...and that was CNN sports. ESPN now is a entertainment channel and no longer a sports channel...therefore, they have lost the "meat-n-potatoes" aspect of the sports fans.....games, good reporting and scores. THAT is what sports fans want. No one REALLY wants to know WHO Tom Brady married and WHO D. Wade left his wife for...

But the problem NOW is, ESPN USE TO have some competition...and that was CNN sports. ESPN now is a entertainment channel and no longer a sports channel...therefore, they have lost the "meat-n-potatoes" aspect of the sports fans.....games, good reporting and scores. THAT is what sports fans want. No one REALLY wants to know WHO Tom Brady married and WHO D. Wade left his wife for...

Yeah, I agree. Competition is good. And it would be good for ESPN to have another serious sports channel competitor. But who is going to step up to this monster conglomerate?

I thought Fox Sports were gonna try to challenge ESPN through their RSN affiliates, but they seem to have shyed away.

Yeah, I agree. Competition is good. And it would be good for ESPN to have another serious sports channel competitor. But who is going to step up to this monster conglomerate?

FOX Sports could EASILY do it...as well as CNN. Remember, CNN sports was removed for financial reason when Turner sold it to I THINK AOL/Time Warner.

Going back to the subject of the thread, ESPN has become the National Enquirer of sports. I don't know about you guys, but for EVERY very good late break story, they have 2 stories that are nothing more than just gossip. The whole A-Rod things was GREAT story telling when it 1st came out. NOW, it's all about 'there has been a A-Rod's cousin sighting'.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Right now, there ONLY show that makes good watching is the "outside the lines" shows...and unfortunately, even thoughs have been water down. They use to do one once a month...and they would do some serious investigative news reporting....

I thought Fox Sports were gonna try to challenge ESPN through their RSN affiliates, but they seem to have shyed away.

...Yeah, now "its the best damn sports show period" repeats on almost an hourly basis. A bunch of former has-beens that is nothing more than "The Man Show" on 'roids talking about sports but with a little less talk about women.....:rolleyes:

I agree with everything you've said in this thread, Salsa. What has happened to ESPN is truly a shame. I find myself watching ESPN NEWS more than Sportscenter nowadays, but I truly miss the sportscenters of old...lots of highlights and post-game interviews.

I agree with everything you've said in this thread, Salsa. What has happened to ESPN is truly a shame. I find myself watching ESPN NEWS more than Sportscenter nowadays, but I truly miss the sportscenters of old...lots of highlights and post-game interviews.

I also find myself watching much more ESPN News then ESPN, its a shame to, becouse sportscenter at one time was must see TV for sports fan. I can remember being in college watching it with buddies (that was about 15 years ago) Slowly I am really starting to dislike there Sunday Morning NFL show as well.

Now I cant change the channel fast enough when I see sportscenter in on.

They still do a decent job with Baseball Tonight, although the departure of Harold Reynolds definetely hurt the show.

Exactly! IT goes back to my comments of "meat-n-potatoes"....

Not sure if you're aware Skyhi, but Reynolds got picked up by the MLB Network. I enjoyed his commentary too.

I know...I saw that. Unfortunately for me, it will be a cold day in hell before Dish Networks adds MLB-N or my wife will give up her multi room DVR :/

The Internet (and even ESPN's own site) has made Sportscenter irrelevant. When you can get breaking news updates, and even in-game highlights on ESPN.com, FoxSports.com or even your web enabled mobile phone, what do you need ESPN TV for? ESPN Radio hasn't jumped the shark yet, and Bob Valvano is still a great listen, even though he's on at ungodly hours of the weekend night. Tirico and Van Pelt can be good, too.

Packers continue to do nothing

FSU gets hit for academic cheating...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts