Can you format the hard drive in a VIP 922 and or Hopper?

emdev2

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2005
I would like to know if it is possible to force a hard drive format on a VIP 922 or even a Hopper for that matter as the interface is very similar? I know on previous receivers like the Vip 722 there was a key combo on the remote control you can push to do a memory dump and a hard drive reformat. I want to start from scratch on my 922 and want to reformat it and restore to defaults. Is this possible? If so how do you do it?

I'm not aware of any secret key combo. You could hook it up to a PC would allow you to format it, and then hook it up to the Hopper.
I believe he is talking about the internal hard drive because there have been discussions as to how to reformat it, though I don't recall specifics. Don't want to do that if it is leased.

I believe he is talking about the internal hard drive because there have been discussions as to how to reformat it, though I don't recall specifics. Don't want to do that if it is leased.

Yes I do mean the internal hard drive. Also this receiver is leased and I don't want to mess with opening it for obvious reasons. All the receivers seem to have a way to reformat the hard drive. I would assume this one does also. Just a matter of if anyone knows the way?

Last edited:
I tried Googling it and looking in this forum with no luck.
So no 922 or hopper user ever formatted the drive in their receivers?

this worked on some older receivers, not sure if it still applies....

1. Menu
2. 6
3. 3 (the Diagnostic screen should appear)
4. Info
5. Right button
6. Left button (screen filled with hexadecimal figures should
appear)
7. Play
8. Play
9. Recall (message saying that the hard drive will be
re-initialized)

Not directly but I thought they are part of the forum and answer questions no?

I doubt they are going to have the steps for this since this could cause issues and it isn't part of normal troubleshooting. Why don't you just delete all the content/timers you have and reset factory default reset to clear any other settings?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)