Can You Get A 4k Free Upgrade Early?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
What other H or HR receivers do you currently have?
I have a genie, 3 wired clients and one wireless client. no other receivers. since hsp(employee) accounts aren't allowed upgrades(this is what I'm told) I haven't been able to upgrade to 4k despite have a 4k tv. smh

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Why are TV's with built in RVU crap? Wasn't that with the older models? I tried it once on a 2012 HD Samsung and that was crap the guide wasn't as bright as the boxes and it was slow. Is that the same way on 2017 4k RVU models?
My 2016 model KS8000 is better then my 2013 version but still can't recommend it. I have two KS8000's and both had audio dropouts (I don't with the two C61K's I have). Plus can't specify screen fit in aspect ratio so some graphics will be cut off if broadcaster doesn't allow for some differences in how sets display. Plus I use 30SKIP and you can't 'stack' the skips.

I have a genie, 3 wired clients and one wireless client. no other receivers. since hsp(employee) accounts aren't allowed upgrades(this is what I'm told) I haven't been able to upgrade to 4k despite have a 4k tv. smh

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Sorry. Not you. I meant CSM. There is a lot of angst about if the HS goes down they have nothing but most people don't have another H or HR24 say to pick up the slack while the server is down They are bitching about an unknown they aren't even related to

As a early tester for DIRECTV stuff I had three Genie's in my house before getting the HS17. So far I've removed two of them and I'm close to getting rid of the third at last and go with just the HS17 and clients. Can the HS17 die, yep, and I worried enough to say I wouldn't go with it as the only STB, no. Past experience has been if a STB failed that DIRECTV had another one shipped out in a day or two for an exchange. In the mean time I can receive a bunch of channels via OTA and have Netflix and Amazon Prime for viewing and could do a free trial sign up for Hulu if needed.

Last edited:
As of now In the consumer environment they will not allow any other receivers except clients in conjunction with the HS17.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a early tester for DIRECTV stuff I had three Genie's in my house before getting the HS17. So far I've removed two of them and I'm close to getting rid of the third at last and go with just the HS17 and clients. Can the HS17 die, yep, and I worried enough to say I wouldn't go with it as the only STB, no. Past experience has been if a STB failed that DIRECTV had another one shipped out in a day or two for an exchange. In the mean time I can receive a bunch of channels via OTA and have Netflix and Amazon Prime for viewing and could do a free trial sign up for Hulu if needed.

I am planning for my free upgrade and am torn between HR 54 and HS 17. I currently have an HR 44 and an HR 22. I have never had clients, and am concerned about so many people saying clients are crap. I do like having separate playlists like I have now, and the speed of the HR 44 is great. Is the speed of the wired 4k client comparable to the HS44/54 and will the installer do the required runs to install wired clients?

Zuma, you would loose your separate playlists so if that's a major issue for you then don't go with a HS17. But I looked at it the other way, it was nice not having separate series links to keep track of. Also if you were a GenieGo person when they killed the external box and allowed it only on one Genie that was something else that pushed my towards a HS17 only since now I don't have to remember to make sure the HS17 had the recording I wanted. Speed wise I really can't tell any difference between using the clients and the HR44/HR54/H44 I had that I can attribute to it being a client issue.

I found DTV chat and he said the AT&T chat person never did anything about the free upgrade and didn't have to worry. So I am just going to wait until Oct. 18th. Then the HS-17 will be out. I might be changing my mind about that. If that went down I could use the DTV App right until a new one was shipped out the next day right? Also their were two dishes on the roof before and the Villa HOA didn't mind those because you couldn't see them from the street.

Reactions: Jimbo
I found DTV chat and he said the AT&T chat person never did anything about the free upgrade and didn't have to worry. So I am just going to wait until Oct. 18th. Then the HS-17 will be out. I might be changing my mind about that. If that went down I could use the DTV App right until a new one was shipped out the next day right? Also their were two dishes on the roof before and the Villa HOA didn't mind those because you couldn't see them from the street.
Correct, you should be able to use the App regardless.

I wonder if would not actually be guaranteed an HS-17 I guess I could still get an HR-54? I wonder when they send the email showing the free upgrade would they tell you the model you are getting?

I think I am back to wanting the HR-54/C61k since you can get the current 4k channels with the current dish. I know later on you would need the reverse band LNB to get the other 4k channels. I wonder if you can still request the HR-54/C61k even if the HS-17 is out. I guess the HS-17 would still be relatively new to where they would still install the HR-54?

The difference is negligible. Each LNB has its quirks. The first generation reverse band LNBs got terrible signal but that has since improved.

This is a fairly provocative statement - do you have any details on what constitutes "first generation?"

This is a fairly provocative statement - do you have any details on what constitutes "first generation?"

The first ones I received when reverse band came out. After several months they came out with a different style and now I am in one of two reverse band only markets using the new style

The first ones I received when reverse band came out. After several months they came out with a different style and now I am in one of two reverse band only markets using the new style

Manufacturer? firmware version? I'm only asking because MANY of those with RB LNB's bought them off of ebay...

Manufacturer? firmware version? I'm only asking because MANY of those with RB LNB's bought them off of ebay...

The original ones were 3D2RBLNBR0-01. These got signal in the mid -40 dbm

The current one I am using is 3D2RBLNBR0-02. Signal in the mid -30 dbm.

There is another version or there which I have not used, 3D2RBLNBR0-14.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)