Can you get local channels from another area?

claytonboen

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
I know you're not supposed to get local channels from another area... but I'm wondering if it is possible.

For example, I live in Los Angeles. If the address on my account was in phoenix arizona, instead of LA, I would get the phoenix locals instead of the LA locals... right?

Or is there are problem with dish alignment? Not that I am attempting to do this... but please let me know.

Thanks!

Do a search on "moving" (with the quotes). The main issue is to make sure you are in the same spotbeam as the locals that you are trying to receive.

It looks like they are not on the same spotbeam.

I heard there is a way to get the locals anyway, using DNS. Does anybody know what that entails?

I can do it easy with my LiL locals. I added an OTA antenna and pointed it to an adjacent market so now I get that too. I get all the guide data on the Dish receiver. It works great.

This won't work for everyone but if you are in a fringe area with borderline reception to an adjacent market, consider it. My OTA antenna is pretty small and it gives me an extra dozen channels including PBS in HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts