Can you help a novice with what could be a simple problem?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

dclboro

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 11, 2007
I am having trouble with my local NBC station in Austin, TX. For the past two weeks sometimes shows pixelate making them unwatchable. Other times it won't happen for a couple of hours. I called Directv customer service and they said the don't see anything wrong on their end. They told me to call back when the pixelating is happening again. The problem with that is that I DVR my shows and watch them later. I rarely watch anything live because I rarely have the time to. I've already tried resetting the box with no luck. And I checked all of my connections and everything is fine. I have the HR21-100 receiver, but I don't know how to check for the signal strength for NBC. Thank you for any help you can give me.

I'm sure someone will pipe in here telling you what sat and TP your locals are on.
What channel is it?

In the meantime, check the signal strengths for all TPs.

It is NBC (KXAN channel 36). I don't know what TP I am looking for.

I get the same thing. I'm also in Austin and I also DVR the few NBC shows I care to watch (Thursday, 7-9pm).

The video pixelates, stutters, stops, and so does the audio. I can't say I've ever noticed this on live TV, but like I said, I rarely watch those few NBC shows live.

My uneducated guess is that it has something to do with the local affiliate KXAN. They still run their local news promos in SD, and I seem to mentally correlate the pixelation issues with those local SD promos in the commercial break which precedes it.

I could be imaging that though...

I will say this, I noticed these problems after the dish was professionally installed/pointed and after I DIY'd the dish to a new location.

Thank you for the insight. Do you know which transponder and which satellite NBC (KXAN Austin) is on?

Chances are it could need a realignment. Not necessarily due to bad weather, though. The Ka beam (HD programming) is supposed to be about 1/3rd the size of the Ku beam (SD programming), so it's a little pickier when it comes down to alignment.

KXAN is on the 101 satellite. There's a list somewhere that shows the TP, but it will be one of these: 4, 12, 18, 20, 26 or 28. This the SD version.

Sat 99
Transponder 17

This would be on the 99 (s) sat.

Can any of you watch it live to see if it happens then ....
OR, watch it live with an OTA set up would definatly help diagnose this.

Apparently your getting them from D*.
IF you are seeing the pixalation on a show LIVE, try an OTA feed, IF it's still there, it's a Network problem, not D*.
IF it is on one and not the other it could be a D* issue.
IF it turns out to be a D* issue, it and you do not see it live, you may be having a hard drive issue with your rec.
If you are seeing it live as well, it could be a alignment issue or a bad cable or connection.
Someone mentioned that everything looked fine, did you take all the connections apart and replace them, you cannot say everything looks fine if you haven't opened the connection and checked for water or corrosion on the stinger or a loose fitting.

Jimbo

When I said that the connectins look fine, it was in response to the Directv rep asking me to look at the connections for my setup (receiver, tv, surround sound, etc.) to make sure that there weren't any loose connections. So when I say everything is fine, that's what I mean.

How has the local weather been? Storms going through will do what you describe.........pretty rare, however.

Joe

How has the local weather been? Storms going through will do what you describe.........pretty rare, however.

Joe

We did have strong winds and rain before my problem started, but I didn't think that was the cause because it's only the one station that I am having trouble with.

We did have strong winds and rain before my problem started, but I didn't think that was the cause because it's only the one station that I am having trouble with.

Your probably right, seeing it's only one channel.
If your SS is still good, you should be OK.

Jimbo

Wind would be no issue but heavy rain would dump most or all.One channel / transponder is probably more than one channel & transponder......could be a tuning or LOS blockage.

Still, do not tune in bad weather...you will just have to do it again in a day or two.

There is a new IRD coming that will lock the installer out if the signal presented is not good / high.

Who the hell is the genius behind that thinking and who knows how to bypass that crap?

Joe

DVR problem

I'm in Oklahoma and sometimes have the same problem. My dish is mounted on the side of my house and a tech told me that DTV is not supposed to mount them there and it should have been monted on a post, which i think is a bunch of bull. But any to solve that problem, that is if you are recording in HD, try recording the same show in standard def to see if that works for you. It has for me in the past.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)