Can you mirror Hopper 3 on 2nd TV?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

virginiaguy

Original poster
Aug 5, 2009
Virginia
i have a TV in my kitchen which is adjacent to, but separate from, my family room (722 receiver) My wife and I are used to moving between the two rooms and having the same programming on the 2nd TV (using a powered HDMI splitter) and would like to be able to do that with a Hopper 3 and a Joey. The Joey would be nice at times as my wife might want to watch something different in the kitchen. Is there any way to mirror or feed what we are watching on the Hopper 3 in the family room to the set with the Joey?
I have HDMI and coax cables between the two rooms. BUT, it looks like I need the coax to feed the Joey and I only have one HDMI input on the small Samsung monitor in the kitchen, so I assume that would be used for the HDMI output from the Joey. I'm thinking I need a new monitor in the kitchen with more than one HDMI inputs.
Thanks for any ideas!

I am unclear as to which TV would be receiving the HDMI from Joey...the Kitchen? I think further explanation of of what goes to what, and which TV you want to mirror (from what) would help.

i have a TV in my kitchen which is adjacent to, but separate from, my family room (722 receiver) My wife and I are used to moving between the two rooms and having the same programming on the 2nd TV (using a powered HDMI splitter) and would like to be able to do that with a Hopper 3 and a Joey. The Joey would be nice at times as my wife might want to watch something different in the kitchen. Is there any way to mirror or feed what we are watching on the Hopper 3 in the family room to the set with the Joey?
I have HDMI and coax cables between the two rooms. BUT, it looks like I need the coax to feed the Joey and I only have one HDMI input on the small Samsung monitor in the kitchen, so I assume that would be used for the HDMI output from the Joey. I'm thinking I need a new monitor in the kitchen with more than one HDMI inputs.
Thanks for any ideas!

Like you said a new monitor in the kitchen with more than 1 HDMI or you can have an HDMI switcher for the kitchen TV.

you could also use a spitter until software version u309, have tried cheap one and expensive but none will work. I ordered a new switch with 1 input and 2 outputs

With my Hopper 1, I used a Component video cable to mirror the TV in the kitchen. You could also use the composite video out if you do not need HD video quality on the kitchen TV.

If you are planning on putting a Joey in the kitchen, you can simply 'join' the Joey to the Hopper's channel. It is a very simple process. Otherwise, the Joey is totally standalone and can watch what it wants including taking up a tuner to have the same channel that the Hopper is watching. You've got 16 tuners in the Hopper 3 so that's never a problem.

Thanks, jsheridan.....an HDMI switch would probably be perfect. It would mirror the Hopper 3 from the family room 90% of the time. If my wife wants to watch something different in the kitchen, recorded or live, she can just switch to output from the Joey.
And Fuzzy, just so I'm clear, I'm thinking the switch would have 2 INPUTS (Hopper 3 and Joey) and 1 output (for the 1 HDMI TV). Not the other way around.
And KAB, I guess it's clear now what I want to do.
Caam1, maybe someone can answer this....I have a Red, White and Yellow RCA composite cable between the two rooms and DO have a component input on the 2nd TV in the kitchen. Can I use that composite cable to carry component output from the HOPPER 3 to the 2nd TV and get a reasonable HD picture? My cables go into the wall and then UP inside the wall and come out behind the 2 TV in the kitchen. I really don't want to run a new component cable between the two rooms! If I can use that cable, all I would have to do is change the input on the kitchen TV to watch the Joey.
Thanks for all the ideas. I just wanted to know my options before getting a Hopper 3.

Reactions: JSheridan
Wow, Bobby I had no idea you "join" the Joey and the Hopper 3. So you would automatically be mirroring what's on the Hopper TV to the 2nd TV. That would be ideal 90% of the time. Once in a while my wife might want to finish watching something she's recorded or watch different programming while in the kitchen, particularly during the holidays, so that's where the Joey would be handy. Sounds like this is a simple answer!!
Thanks to everybody! I didn't expect to get so many good workarounds so quickly!
You guys are great!

If you are planning on putting a Joey in the kitchen, you can simply 'join' the Joey to the Hopper's channel. It is a very simple process. Otherwise, the Joey is totally standalone and can watch what it wants including taking up a tuner to have the same channel that the Hopper is watching. You've got 16 tuners in the Hopper 3 so that's never a problem.
No you cannot if the TV's are too close because when you join the signal on the Joey is delayed from the Hopper and when you can hear both audio it sounds terrible.

Reactions: virginiaguy
n0qcu, thanks for that info! The 2nd TV is, in fact, within earshot, and a delay would be noticeable AND annoying. I've experienced this first hand when I replaced my family room TV a couple of years ago. There was no delay between rooms with the "old" Panasonic and the 2nd TV. Bought a new Samsung TV for the family room and I can't get the audio to sync with the TV in the kitchen even though I'm using the exact same setup I had before. I've tried all the various audio modes on the new TV and tried adjusting the delay on the new TV, but there's always a little dIffernce. So we have TV 2 on most of the time, but muted unless we're in the kitchen and try to keep the volume a little lower than the family room TV.
Thanks for the heads up on that!

No you cannot if the TV's are too close because when you join the signal on the Joey is delayed from the Hopper and when you can hear both audio it sounds terrible.
Yes, you are right, if the both TVs are within earshot the delay gets annoying. I actually just tested that with join and extra channel and they both delay on the Joey. So, the HDMI solutions seem best in this scenario...

Bobby, thanks for your follow up. I appreciate you checking that out. Good to know about the "join" feature anyway.
You guys on this forum rock!

There is a trick you can try to sync the live stream between a Hopper and Joey. Tune to the channel you want to watch on the Hopper. From the Joey, join the the stream using the "Red button", or press options twice depending on your remote. Wait a few moments, then skip back 30sec on the Joey. The audio should be fairly close. I use this trick all the time. It doesn't work if you skip back on the Hopper. It also doesn't work if you are watching local channels with PTAT active. It worked better on the Hopper 2/Joey 1 than Hopper 3/Joey 2. You can also only join live or delayed TV. You can not share a recording playback.

Hope this is helpful.

You can also use an hdmi splitter and then use a baln hdmi to coax converter. This comes with a pair. hdmi to ethernet is cheaper if you have ethernet runs around your home. The drop of your target location can convert back from coax or ethernet to hdmi. I've used this with the joey in one bedroom to mirror it to another room. Worked well and saves a penny with an additional dish equipment incurring monthlies. hope this helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts