Can you record PPV to HR20

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Salacak

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Can you record HD PPV movie to HR20, what are the limitations for channels

Ummmm, the HR20 is a DVR. It can record any channel you are authorized for. I still have a PPV on my HR20 I recorded in October. Watched is a couple times.

i tried to record world trade center a few weeks ago and all i got was a blank screen.

Black screen recorded program was a glitch supposedly resolved with the 134 software release.

So you can record PPV is that right? I'm getting 12 free HD PPV movies free and planning to get those recorded and watch few times later. How can you check it is recording or not while you are watching or otherwords how do you check that.

Can you record HD PPV movie to HR20, what are the limitations for channels

There are no channel limitations. If you want to record a PPV, you must pay for it first. I've done it and have PPV recorded from January.

If you want to record premium channels, the obvious issue is that you must subscribe to the channels.

that was only a few weeks ago i recorded and got the black screen. i thought the last national update was feb 28? at least, that's when i received it. this was recorded afterward.

that was only a few weeks ago i recorded and got the black screen. i thought the last national update was feb 28? at least, that's when i received it. this was recorded afterward.

You should try it again. I hate to restate it, but you have to manually tune to the desired PPV channel and purchase using your remote. If it's a All Day Ticket you ought to be able to record any of the showings from the time of purchase until 6 am the next day. You can't set it up to record, then try to pay for it later when you are ready to view.

see, i don't have a phone line hooked up because i have vonage and the installer would not hook either my hr20 or h20 to the router. i have later been told this is a no-no.

would that make a difference? i was able to watch it live. but i didn't try to record it a second time!

see, i don't have a phone line hooked up because i have vonage and the installer would not hook either my hr20 or h20 to the router. i have later been told this is a no-no.

would that make a difference? i was able to watch it live. but i didn't try to record it a second time!

It might.

Vonage is a problem for a lot of things. My home security informed me that most security products don't work through Vonage. The state of Texas has a law forbidding security applications with 911-ability from being connected to Vonage. This is not VoIP in-general, just Vonage and its specific VoIP implementation.

I currently have my HR20, H20, and home security all connected through AT&T CallVantage (VoIP) using RoadRunner broadband. Both H20 and HR20 use wireless phone line extenders, not hard-wires.

You could try to connect it yourself, or you could consider a different VoIP provider.

If you don't have a phone line hooked up then you can't order PPV with your remote. So that's probably your problem.

I've had Vonage for over 4 years now and have never had a problem with any DirecTV receiver other then the odd Tivo model. HR20 makes it's monthly "phone home" just fine.

Just make sure your Vonage bandwidth is set to high and you're all set. It will make it's call just fine. I personally use wireless modem jacks plugged into the electrical outlet to give me a phone jack by the home theater and all my receivers are plugged into it.

Also note that PPV works a little differently on the HR20.

You can record any PPV you want without paying for it. You actually get charged when you *watch* it. This way you could record a PPV and if you don't get around to watching it for a couple months then you can just delete it without paying for it.

When you go to play the PPV you will get a prompt about paying for it at that time, not when setting up to record.

Also note that PPV works a little differently on the HR20.

You can record any PPV you want without paying for it. You actually get charged when you *watch* it. This way you could record a PPV and if you don't get around to watching it for a couple months then you can just delete it without paying for it.

When you go to play the PPV you will get a prompt about paying for it at that time, not when setting up to record.

I wasn't sure that scenario worked. If you watch & pay later, but don't delete, will you have to pay every time you watch it? I know that if you pay in-advance, it only charges you once.

Some people have reported a problem if you order PPV online. It sometimes does not seem to set up the PPV so it can be recorded by the HR20. If you order via the remote (of course you need a phone line connected, or eventually the PPV list gets filled up and you can't order PPV anymore) there does not seem to be a problem.

Does that vonage line go through your home witing?

pardon my ignorance, geronimo, i'm not sure this will answer your question. my internet modem and network are both hooked up to my vonage router. i split the signal as i have a second telephone in my bedroom. not sure what else you would need to know.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)