Can you run 2 Outputs from one antenna?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hobbsholepro

Original poster
Jan 29, 2007
I have a channel master 4228 antenna and it is 55 miles from the towers. Whenever I split it, the signal drops too much. Is it possible to run a second cable from the antenna into another amplifier then to another tv?
Thanks

I have a 4228 split with no problems, but then I am at only 20 miles away..so that might be why. :)

But I have read that the correct way to do it is run a single coax to a distribution amplifier from your 4228, then to your tv's. Or alternately maybe run a preamp and then split your signal, but that's just a guess because I don't have that either.

Just a couple ideas to think about. :up

Not sure if it makes a difference, but can you tell us the make & model of the splitter you are using?

Are you using RG6; and how long are the cable runs?

What quantity of signal drop; before & after?

I have a channel master 4228 antenna and it is 55 miles from the towers. Whenever I split it, the signal drops too much. Is it possible to run a second cable from the antenna into another amplifier then to another tv?
Thanks

Are you using an antenna mounted pre-amp? If you use a splitter after a pre-amp, splitting the signal should have no impact if you are using the correct splitter.

I have a CM4228 antenna and about a 100 foot cable run of RG6 with an antenna mounted CM7777 amplifier. I get 70% average on signal strength, but when I split it after the amplifier(standard radioshack splitter$6.00 ), it drops to about 50-55%. I don't have a signal strength gauge, I just use the meter on the tv.
If there is a special splitter I need, someone please tell me.

Do you have a receiver/TV/load connected to both output ports on the splitter? Sometimes a port or cable connected to a port with no load can cause problems.

If that's not the case you may have a defective or just plain crappy splitter. The splitter should be a VHF/UHF model good for at least 5 -> 1000 MHz

You could try an amplifed splitter aka signal distribution amplifier. That should maintain the same signal strength to all devices connected compared to running it to just one device direct. If a standard 2-way splitter drops your signal too much then you do not have much margin for poor weather or other atmospheric conditions. You may have to look at placing the antenna in a different spot to get more signal captured. Remember, you can only amplify what the antenna receives. If it receives no signal, an amplifier will not make up for the loss of signal.

Thanks for the input...I really appreciate it. I think I will try the signal distribution amp first and run a 2nd cable second. I have a very touchy setup and have already peeked my antenna position on the roof. I don't even have the option of using a diplexer so I had to make a straight cable run from antenna to booster to tv.
The replys are appreciated.

If you don't have a pre-amp, I would try that first, as it will amplify the signal where it is strongest, at the antenna. By the time the signal travels down the cable to the point where it is to be split, there is already signal loss.

Your problem MAY be WHERE your splitter is...

If your splitter is between the CM7777 preamp and it's power supply, you'll need to use a splitter that will pass-through power to the preamp. If you're splitting AFTER the power supply, any ol' splitter will work...Just a thought.:) BTW, a distribution amp might be a good investment, rather than using splitters.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)