Can you Share Recordings b/w DVR's - I searched

javadoc

Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Parker, CO
Hi there,

I've been lurking for a long time here and finally registered. I have had Dish for years, went with a 722 last year and just had a second 722 installed for the basement (home theater and kid's TV area).

I'm been searching to see if there was a way to allow the two 722s to share their recordings. I used to have Tivo's and they could do this, so I'm hopeful.

So, is it possible? TIA!

Right now the only option is with an external hard drive, copy your recordings there and you can connect the drive to either receiver and play them.

Hi Pepper, thanks for the reply. I thought that this might be the only way, shucks.

Just, having that USB port, and ethernet, begs the question. I wonder if I could link the two to my USB HDD at the same time, over my network..somehow. That would be solution possibly.

I wonder if I could link the two to my USB HDD at the same time, over my network..somehow. That would be solution possibly.
Possibly. You could try hooking up two Ximeta netdisks (or equivalent) to your 722's via USB, and the network jacks would be connected to your home LAN and a Linux box. The latter is capable of reading and writing to the file system on a Dish EHD, so you could copy programs from one disk to the other.

Note that programs stored on the EHD are encrypted, so you can't play them back via the Linux box. But copying for the purpose of mirroring drives or else backing up the programs should be possible.

N.B. I haven't tried this!

I use a Thermaltake BlacX drive dock connected by USB on both receivers. I then use SATA bare drives in the dock to move programs back and forth and to archive them. The BlacX drive docks are $39 at NewEgg and you can get a 250gb drive for $50. I have several of them and it is a simple thing just to drop the drive in the dock and move programs between receivers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts