Can you tell what these dishes are pointing at?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

glen4cindy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
St. Louis MO, area
They are on the rooftop of my local KDNL ABC broadcaster.

But there are so many of them. Are some of them uplink dishes?

Thanks in advance.
IMG_1276.JPG
IMG_1277.JPG
IMG_1278.JPG

They are pointing at the sky.

Sorry, that's the best I can do, with no point of reference, i.e. what direction you were pointing the camera, or similar help.

Reactions: TermiNader
They are pointing at the sky.

Sorry, that's the best I can do, with no point of reference, i.e. what direction you were pointing the camera, or similar help.

I was driving North, they are obviously pointing st the Southern sky like most dishes.

If I can provide more details I will. Can't get close enough to determine elevation.

Thanks in advance.

Try to see if they have waveguide connected to the feed horn. That would be an uplink setup.

They are on the rooftop of my local KDNL ABC broadcaster.

But there are so many of them. Are some of them uplink dishes?

Thanks in advance. View attachment 127114View attachment 127115View attachment 127116
The three in the front are Andrew ESA's (Earth Station Antennas). Apparently Andrew is now owned by a company called Commscope. A quick search for their old website on the Wayback Machine from the mid 2000's yields this info about these or similiar dishes:

Earth Station Antennas (ESA) for C, X, Ku, Ka-Band systems, from 1.2 to 9.3 meters including transportable antenna systems

why not call the station and ask? over the years i have talked to a bunch of station engineers, all were very friendly

i have also thalked with robert w dickey and his son who owns KQV radio station here in pittsburgh/

the last call was why do they advertise CICIs pizza, since there are no restaurants in their service area. its part of a network deal. i asked because i want to eat at cicis...its a pizza bufft

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-27_17-39-55.png
    upload_2017-7-27_17-39-55.png
    51.1 KB · Views: 215
  • upload_2017-7-27_17-39-55.png
    upload_2017-7-27_17-39-55.png
    51.1 KB · Views: 212
What would a local affiliate need station-based uplink facilities for?

If they had a remote truck out in the boonies on a national interest breaking new story, they would need a way to keep in contact with their remote set up. The station based up-link could do that. Gives them 2 way communication links.

If they had a remote truck out in the boonies on a national interest breaking new story, they would need a way to keep in contact with their remote set up. The station based up-link could do that. Gives them 2 way communication links.
If a slot gets more audio-only downstream traffic, is that all that useful/helpful to a TV station? I recall that someone observed that the pictures don't tell whether uplink capability is present.

Most of the ENG stuff around my area has been terrestrial microwave for quite a while now. We're not "topographically challenged" here though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts