Can you transfer the contents of one HD DVR to another?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mammoth

Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
Michigan
I'm new to this forum, so I apologize if this question has been asked before. I searched and didn't find a thread.

At any rate, we're getting upgraded DirecTV DVR's at our house, but we've got tons of content on the old unit (HR22-100). Mostly kids shows that can't be replaced because they no longer air. Cripes, I've got 50 episodes of "The Wiggles" and my kids would go bananas if we lost those - lol. Is there any way to transfer the DVR content from the old DirecTV DVR to the new one they're sending us? The customer service reps don't know how to do it. They basically said, "search the internet". Thanks

It is not easy, and can be considered to void warranty and violate the lease terms, though many have done it (opened their DVR) and I've never seen anyone post about Directv giving them a hard time over it.
You've confused upgrading a drive with what the OP is asking for.

The content goes with uniquely with the DVR that recorded it so if the DVR is going away, the content goes with it. Such is life in the DIRECTV world.

Thanks guys. I was afraid of that. Seems silly to me that they wouldn't have addressed this issue by now. I imagine the majority of DirecTV users would appreciate this feature. It's not like it violates any laws. I guess I'm stuck for a few years until the kids outgrow the old shows. I just can't justify loosing literally hundreds of children shows simply because I was offered a faster and higher capacity DVR. :(

Thanks guys. I was afraid of that. Seems silly to me that they wouldn't have addressed this issue by now. I imagine the majority of DirecTV users would appreciate this feature. It's not like it violates any laws. I guess I'm stuck for a few years until the kids outgrow the old shows. I just can't justify loosing literally hundreds of children shows simply because I was offered a faster and higher capacity DVR. :(

Look on the positive side, it only cost you $ 5 p/m to keep it active.

You can always transfer them to a DVR recorder on to your own DVD's , if you have a DVR Recorder.

Status
Please reply by conversation.