Can you turn a VIP 211 into a DVR?

sofakng

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 5, 2006
I've been doing some research and it looks like you can add an EHD to a VIP 211 receiver and have it perform as as DVR?

Is this true?

I've just asked Dish technical support and they said no, but I'm wondering if that rep really knew what he was talking about ...

You can add an EHD to a 211 and make it a DVR. It will cost you $40, one time, to make it happen. The person you spoke with is clueless.....

Thanks for the replies. I was wondering if maybe it was a feature only on the "k" model (like hvarma2008 mentioned) but I don't know.

What is the monthly fee after activating the DVR function?

Thanks for the replies. I was wondering if maybe it was a feature only on the "k" model (like hvarma2008 mentioned) but I don't know.

What is the monthly fee after activating the DVR function?

It works with the 211 also. One time fee of $40. No monthly fees.
You can record 1 ota feed and 1 Dish feed at the same time.

I have both a VIP 211 & VIP 211K and they both work fine as DVRs. The main difference between the 211s and other Dish DVR receivers is that you don't have the ability to program them using remote access. You are also limited to a maximum of a 1 TB drive.

You do have one advantage over other Dish DVR receivers in that once you pay the $40 fee you have no ongoing monthly charges.

Jim

Thanks a lot for the information!

My current problem is that the VIP 722k doesn't have enough tuners for my family. (it's usually recording two programs during prime-time so my wife can't watch live tv) Therefore, I'm thinking about the VIP 211 as a receiver (and maybe recording every now and then) plus the 722k as the main recording device.

Anyways - thanks for the info!

sofakng,

I have listed below the requirements and restrictions for the external hard drive. You can connect any of us here on the DISH Internet Response Team to activate this feature for you.

Minimum size of 50GB/maximum size of 1TB for Non-DVR receivers (211, 211k, and 411). The other receivers can use 2 TB EHDs.

• No dual drives (two drives in one physical case).
  • No hybrid drives (flash memory plus traditional disk in one physical case).
  • Only one external hard drive can be connected to a receiver at one time.
  • The external drive will be working constantly, do not move the drive while it is on.
  • The EHD can be connected an unlimited number of times between compatible Archive models or between Converted DVR models, as long as they are active on the same account.
  • Transferring the EHD between an Archive model and a Converted DVR model will require re-formatting which will delete any stored programs.
  • The EHD cannot be shared between a computer and receiver and will prompt to reformat if the EHD is connected to another device.

If windows initializes the drive, it might require a reformat when reconnected to your receiver, though.

Hi sofakng, just a few things for you to consider. Since you already have a DVR on your account, you are paying the $6.00 monthly DVR fee already. Doing the VIP211 receiver will allow you to set-up this receiver as DVR with the EHD for the one time fee of $40.00 but the EHD will not be able to be moved between the 211 and the 722. You cannot chare the recordings. This receiver would be $7.00 more a month and for $10.00 more a month, you may consider a VIP612 which will allow more recording capabilities and you can move the EHD between the two receivers. Just a thought for you and I if I can help in any way, just PM me!

Here is my set up. I have a 722 in the living room and a 211 in my computer room. I run the home distribution to a TV downstairs. I use the TV2's rca outs to a vcr and run the coax out from the vcr to connect to a tv in the kitchen and to the tv in my computer room. So on that tv I just switch between the hdmi from the 211 or the coax in from the 722's TV2's rca outs.

Doing this allows you to watch the dvr's output on the same tv that the 211 is hooked up to. I also have the ehd on the 211.

Thanks a lot for the information!

My current problem is that the VIP 722k doesn't have enough tuners for my family. (it's usually recording two programs during prime-time so my wife can't watch live tv) Therefore, I'm thinking about the VIP 211 as a receiver (and maybe recording every now and then) plus the 722k as the main recording device.

Anyways - thanks for the info!

are you close enough to make use of an OTA antenna? Since you have a 722k did you get the OTA module with it? With that and an antenna you can get two more tuners. Also, don't forget, you can watching something that has been recorded already, while you are recording other stuff.