Can you turn a VIP 211 into a DVR?

My 211 has lost the EHD all of a sudden. Anyone know the sequence of unplugging and reinstalling the EHD? I did it once before but cannot remember the sequence. The DVR functionality disappeared and the wife is freaking out on me!

Unplug the EHD, unplug the 211, plug the EHD into the 211 and finally plug the 211 back into power.... I think that's it!

actually unplug the Hard drive, reboot the receiver, after the unit finishes loading, then plug the Hard drive back in. The 211 will read it then

My 211 keeps "losing" my EHD. What keeps causing that? Bad cable, EHD, 211?

What brand of EHD do you have? Seagates come inherently with a sleep function that will cause the problem you are having until it is disabled.

Seagates come inherently with a sleep function that will cause the problem you are having until it is disabled.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of getting one for the 211 but might steer clear of it now....Use a WD 320GB now

WD's sleep functions seem to be pretty cooperative with the receivers. Though, I did one time have one of my 722Ks "lose" a WD drive while it was asleep, had to power cycle it. Hasn't done it since.

Seagate drives that I have never go to sleep, because the 211 is constantly buffering to it, of course I don't let my 211 go into standby - it gets an auto tune wake up call 30 minutes after the nightly update, and I use raw internal drives in a SATA dock (gotta love that 5 year warranty).

Does the 2-day EPG become a week-long when you plug in an external hard drive?
Is there any other disadvantage to using a 211k?
I see 'em on DishStore for $120. Seems reasonable.

Is or is there not an extra monthly DVR fee once I pay the $40 activation?
Any problem adding two to my account which currently has a 612?
I'll be retiring a 508 and 301, and the 211 seemed an okay solution.

I see 'em on DishStore for $120. Seems reasonable.

Yes, it becomes an 8 day epg. And no, there is no monthly dvr fee and the $40 is per account.

8 or 9 days
none that I know of. Using one right now and it works fine. Can record one sat channel and one OTA channel at same time
Is or is there not an extra monthly DVR fee once I pay the $40 activation?
correct. One time $40 fee and no additional DVR fees. If you add additional 211's later there are no extra fees.

Ray is there anything special I have to do to my EHD to start using it after a long 3+ months down time. I have heard that it will corupt the hard drive if not connected correctly .I just reactivated my RV account to test out my new automatic potble dish.

My 211 keeps "losing" my EHD. What keeps causing that? Bad cable, EHD, 211?

My EHD is trying to go bad i believe. It will connect to my reciever fine, but when i try to use it, the reciever locks up. Or i can watch something that is recorded an it will get sketchy like a rain storm is washing it out. Bought a new EHD, an all is well. My question is, If i boot my PC into Ubuntu an connect both EHD's, can i transfer the content from the old EHD before it goes out completely?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)