Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
I've seen these sidecar units that will work with the older analog boxes but can you use them stand alone for KU?

I know you have to go to I think G1 C-Band to have the box get the maps but once it does that, couldn't you just hook it up to a KU dish and see what free KU is out there??

Anybody try that? Use a sidecar with no analog box

I've seen these sidecar units that will work with the older analog boxes but can you use them stand alone for KU?

I know you have to go to I think G1 C-Band to have the box get the maps but once it does that, couldn't you just hook it up to a KU dish and see what free KU is out there??

Anybody try that? Use a sidecar with no analog box

You should be able to use it with no problems as long as the maps are fresh, you can sub to some programming from SRL also direct on X4-430, if new channels are mapped or remapped you will want to hit Galaxy-10 or Galaxy-15 to get the new maps, if you can see those birds with the 6' you should be able to pull in the maps, you mite even pull in some master feeds with the solid dish.

Oh and even a tiny sub will help our small numbers :)

A sidecar controls polarity when operating. When off, the polarity reverts back to the analog unit. You can use the unit by itself if you leave it on one satellite or you could get an old dishmover to receive other satellites.

TDT1- Yes I can see those satellites with the 6 footer. If the dish is in front of the garage, I can see from AMC3 over to AMC8. For sure G10-AMC8

Hermitman-I would use a digital LNBF so that’s good that the digital box would control polarity. I was thinking of seeing what is free up there or if all else fails, leave it on G4 and subscribe to the KU stuff.

Should be no problem Ice. I guess DC block it since you're going to control polarity with the other box. However you can use the sidecar for that if you want, it functions just fine with LNBFs, the one caveat being you need to check the box in the setup menus that says the feed is rotated 90 degrees. No idea why, but it needs that with every Ku LNBF, I tried it once with a combo C/Ku LNBF and it wasn't needed there.

Let us know how it goes if you get it, also keep in mind that this year or next year you may want to change the battery in the 905, I have a old GI 922 and will need to do mine this year before it dies.

Would be cool if you set it up on ku only and let us all know how it works, many people would love to have a 4dtv for some free ku-band DCII and to sub to the channels along with there free to air but people are scared to try this if they don't have access to C-band you would be able to let us know how well it works, I think it should work fine but I have not done in myself, I am sure many here in the C-band section and in the dvb fta section will be very interested.

Last edited:
I have a Sidecar running now on 127W for C Band with no analog box. In the setup it allows you to specify the lnb configuration in the setup. It has a passthrough to go to a controller if you need to move the Dish.

I mapped it with the first hit on a 3.8 Commercial dish and then moved to 127W to authorize the HD I wanted. It's never been off 127W and reauthorized several times.

I can't tell you about Ku band on it at this time as I wanted it specifically for 127W C Band HD and that Dish does not have Ku capabilities.

Something you need to consider: Both G10R and G15 are located in crowed area, 2degs sats nearby. You might not get lock on the DC2 muxes to get the map using 6ft dish.
If I were you, I would try if the seller would allow me to return the side card back.
Without the map, you can't use the sidecar.

TDT1- Yes I can see those satellites with the 6 footer. If the dish is in front of the garage, I can see from AMC3 over to AMC8. For sure G10-AMC8

Hermitman-I would use a digital LNBF so that’s good that the digital box would control polarity. I was thinking of seeing what is free up there or if all else fails, leave it on G4 and subscribe to the KU stuff.

I have mine on G16 - Ku with an Invacom Quad only using linear. Even though there are menu settings for 13/18 it does not switch polarity. Just lucky it was correct polarity to get American Life TV. Doing a color Combat this evening.

I also have the C connected to a BUD feed and a switch to connect the Ku to the BUD as well.

My subscription is to Court TV annual, but Court TV left DCII. Don't get an IPG now, but my American Life TV still works. :)
Someday I will have to see what is available cheap and reup.

Court TV is on Galaxy-11 DCII, if you had a year sub and are with NPS you should still get it till your sub is over.

Even though there are menu settings for 13/18 it does not switch polarity. Just lucky it was correct polarity to get American Life TV. Doing a color Combat this evening.

You may need to select rotate 90 deg, to get it to work, the 4dtv's should work with a lnbf, just in a funky way :)

Something you need to consider: Both G10R and G15 are located in crowed area, 2degs sats nearby. You might not get lock on the DC2 muxes to get the map using 6ft dish.
If I were you, I would try if the seller would allow me to return the side card back.

I havent bought one yet :D

Had a bid on one but the seller had some god awful reserve on it. If I do get one, I'll try it on G15. Whats the worst thing that can happen. It doesn't work?

no need to say it "might not work" because I've been told a few times something FTA related "might not" work yet it worked :)

Tony,
I would give it a shot. There is some cool free KU DC2 stuff up there, and I have seen a digital package for x4 (g16 ku) that looked like a good deal. The one downside is you wont be able to use the IPG, you need to see g1/g15 c band for that.

Doc
Does it always need to see G1 to get the guide?

If I cant see the IPG, no biggie :)

Tony,
yeah it does, and on a frequent basis. I have mine set so it automatically goes to g1 and downloads the guide when the 4dtv is off at night. If I dont turn it off and allow it to download the guide at night, i find i have to go back to g1 pretty frequently during a day of viewing.

Too bad g1 is in such a crowded part of the arc, otherwise i would say aim a 1.2 meter with c band lnb at it and see how it works.

I havent bought one yet :D
I'll try it on G15. Whats the worst thing that can happen. It doesn't work?

The maps on G-14 (Starz mux) and G-10 (Showtime mux) are very strong, G-15 (Starz mux) will be harder to tune but will also get you the guide if you do get it with the 6' I think I read that a guy can get the guide with a 6' mesh so you should be good with the solid.

Court TV is on Galaxy-11 DCII, if you had a year sub and are with NPS you should still get it till your sub is over.

Thanks for that Info. I got it on the Generic as I did not have the VC#. Anyhow I called "Your Satellite Provider"(Superstar, Netlink and Turnervision) and they do not offer Court TV since it moved, but they were nice enough to give me Animal Planet and Travel with the balance of the court TV annual. So now I get Animal Planet, Travel and the IPG along with the American Life and Court TV since they are in the clear. Of course, there are lots of others in the clear.

BTW, the VC# for Court TV is GB 580.

G10 did not work for the IPG last time I tried it. Receiver says you have to go to G1(G15). Which is fine. If you peak Classic Arts Showcase on the analog you should get the IPG when subscribed.

922 users which have not had a 905 may have trouble imagining some of the results you get when selecting some functions on the 905. :)

Last edited:
when I was moving my 6 footer trying to see what was on the far west side I got Classic Arts very clear with no sparklies :)

G10 did not work for the IPG last time I tried it. Receiver says you have to go to G1(G15). Which is fine. If you peak Classic Arts Showcase on the analog you should get the IPG when subscribed.

The IPG is on G-15 transponder 3 only, the maps are pretty much on any DCII premium channel master distribution feed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)