Can you use EHD with a Joey?

shortspark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
texas
I recently had a joey and a hopper installed. They replaced a 721 vip and 612 to which I often hooked up my external hard drives of archived shows I had recorded. Do I have to use the EHDs only with the hopper or can I hook them to the Joey?

My H3 installer said you could, and I believe he hooked it up to my Joey. Alas, it does not show up; only the one connected directly to the H3 shows up on the Joey. (I didn't double check that the installer actually plugged it in, so I'm not certain.)

Reactions: charlesrshell
Yea, I thought EHDs could only be played on Hoppers and not Joeys. Of course, I had to look up the definition of the "unobtanium" cable. I don't have one of those so when I go to test this I will probably fail!

Reactions: TheKrell
However the H3 do allow playback of the EHD from the Joey's. sorry you didn't have this information so that you can get an H3 to service your needs of viewing EHD at a Joey. That is one of the great additional features of the H3 along with more than a few others. Be aware that the EHD cannot be accessed from any Dish system configuration using the Dish Anywhere app. While the Hopper 3 allows for EHD content to be accessed and viewed at a joey, the only way to access the EHD from a remote location is with a Slingbox.

However the H3 do allow playback of the EHD from the Joey's. sorry you didn't have this information so that you can get an H3 to service your needs of viewing EHD at a Joey. That is one of the great additional features of the H3 along with more than a few others. Be aware that the EHD cannot be accessed from any Dish system configuration using the Dish Anywhere app. While the Hopper 3 allows for EHD content to be accessed and viewed at a joey, the only way to access the EHD from a remote location is with a Slingbox.

So, I need a Hopper 3 to use an EHD with the Joey. I have the original Hopper. Does that mean I can only use an EHD with the Hopper in the room where it is located?

However the H3 do allow playback of the EHD from the Joey's. sorry you didn't have this information so that you can get an H3 to service your needs of viewing EHD at a Joey. That is one of the great additional features of the H3 along with more than a few others.

Interesting. How does one set that up?

As a matter of fact, I have 2 EHD's connected to my H3 and usually administer/watch them from my Joey.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)