Can you watch 1 HD & record another HD at the same time?

legends92

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
Valencia, CA
Newbie question. I only have 1 HDTV in my house. On the ViP622, can you watch 1 HD channel and record another HD channel at the same time? Thanks.

Thank you for the answer. I am getting tired of TimeWarner not adding more HD channels. I have the option of getting U-Verse, but I can only watch or record 1 HD channel at a time, which is a real bummer.

Yep to beat it all you can do all of these at the same time:

Record 2 satellite HD or SD channels
Record 1 HD or SD OTA digital channel
Watch a different prerecorded HD or SD program on 1 TV
Watch another prerecorded HD (downrezzed) or SD program on another TV.

...and that ought to cover all the bases! :D

NO, it's only one OTA because the 622 only has one OTA tuner.

Yes, that's what I meant to say. :) The one person said "that should cover all your bases" - but this is one big feature the 622 lacks. We'll see how important that is in 2 months when the new shows start (unless Dish adds Indianapolis HD locals... please o please...).

I knew that this was a possibility when I got hooked up w/ Dish and 622 last month. But after the installer left w/o providing instructions on how to do this, I was having problems. When I tried watching or recording a 2nd program simultaneously, the message kept telling me I would have to stop recording my 1st program. I tried using the swap button, but same thing was happening. So I called tech support and asked how to do this. The answer from the woman: "We do not have a device that allows you to record one program while watching or recording another". :eek:

I tried explaining to her that I had heard otherwise, and she became rude, saying that if it were true, why couldn't I do it. Anyway, after hanging up on her, I rebooted the DVR. Problem solved. Something was glitching and not allowing me to record on the 2nd tuner. Had it not been for the knowledge gained from these forums, I would have probably believed her and still be living w/ only "one at a time" recording.

Moral of the story: "The people here are more knowledgeable than many who actually work for Dish".

NO, it's only one OTA because the 622 only has one OTA tuner.

Well, DUH, this is a satellite tuner/DVR, the OTA recording capability is a perk. Not having a second OTA tuner is not a missing feature.

Let's see, there are 4 major networks, we need 4 OTA tuners in a satellite DVR receiver.

Yes, that's what I meant to say. :) The one person said "that should cover all your bases" - but this is one big feature the 622 lacks. We'll see how important that is in 2 months when the new shows start (unless Dish adds Indianapolis HD locals... please o please...).

What company provides 2 OTA tuners along with two sat tuners? If you need more OTA tuners, setup an HTPC and put 4 OTAs in there.

I barely have enough time to watch what I record off the three tuners that I have already! How do you have time to employ 4 or more tuners simultaneously and then watch all of that?

I pick two or three shows to follow live and I get the dvd sets for the others that I did not follow. Just now watching Without A Trace. The upscaled dvd episodes look great on my 90" screen!

Well, DUH, this is a satellite tuner/DVR, the OTA recording capability is a perk. Not having a second OTA tuner is not a missing feature.
Tell that to anyone who lives in one of the 170+ markets that have no HD LIL. If DBS wants to remain competitive, they either need to get all of the channels up, or provide an alternative. My market has the big four HD LIL yet I still run into situations where I want to record two channels OTA.

Well since the original poster only has a single TV connected to his 622, he can do the following.

Watch two pre-recorded TV shows side by side using PoP

I personally like to put two F1 races side by side. Even GP2 and F1, or CC. Thats a lot of racing. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts