Canada dish customer internet

A

adytown

Nov 29, 2007
Hello!

I currently have a dish subscription in Canada and just installed a hopper. I am very scared to connect this receiver to the internet for fear that the receiver will record my internet service provider and dish will recognize the provider as "un-American "

Any help will be appreciated. I.e. VPN on router, or my fear is unfounded

Claude Greiner

Claude Greiner

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Detroit - The Paris of the Midwest
How many receivers are on your account?

If it’s just one, I doubt Dish will care.

They are bleeding so many subscribers, they would likely look the other way.

If you had multiple receivers, then worse case scenario they would shut off all but 1.

There is always a risk, so if your worried go get a VPN solution.

If it was me and the only receiver was a hopper, I would connect it.

I have friends who live in Canada and pay Dish with a Canadian credit card. Your CANADIAN money turns green after your credit card company does the foreign exchange rate. Dish gets paid so I doubt they care!

J

jtoo

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 26, 2013
Maine
My brother lives in Canada and subscribes to Dish, he has the internet connected to his receiver and its never been an issue.

J

Jackonearth

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 2, 2018
San Francisco, California
How many receivers are on your account?

If it’s just one, I doubt Dish will care.

They are bleeding so many subscribers, they would likely look the other way.

If you had multiple receivers, then worse case scenario they would shut off all but 1.

There is always a risk, so if your worried go get a VPN solution.

If it was me and the only receiver was a hopper, I would connect it.

I have friends who live in Canada and pay Dish with a Canadian credit card. Your CANADIAN money turns green after your credit card company does the foreign exchange rate. Dish gets paid so I doubt they care!
It seems pointless for Canada and the US to use different currencies. Both countries should just adopt the Euro :yes

J

Jackonearth

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 2, 2018
San Francisco, California
No, we should have our own North American currency, the Amero! :canada :usa2
You have to admit, it would be convenient not to have to change your money every time you go to Europe, Canada, and Mexico, maybe we can get Australia in the mix too. I think that's why they came up with the Euro over there. Besides, Euro money is so bright and colorful and it has holograms and old landmarks on the notes. It's like a travel brochure on you money. :bounce

navychop

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
And Italy can print more of it, just for us. And then, even MORE of it..
:D

Reactions: charlesrshell
mwdxer1

mwdxer1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 3, 2015
Seaside Oregon
I would guess, unless Dish gets a flag of some sorts that they have to look into, they will look the other way. After all they are getting $$$$. I am told the Canadian satellite services like Shaw are much the same way. Legally they cannot sell to the U.S., but they are aware that people find ways around it. If it were me, I would not connect an internet connect to the Dish receiver up there that may be traced. I would not take the chance. But that is me.

TheKrell

TheKrell

A mighty and noble race originating on Altair IV.
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 4, 2007
Fairfax, VA
You have to admit, it would be convenient not to have to change your money every time you go to Europe, Canada, and Mexico, maybe we can get Australia in the mix too.

I too like colorful money. But what is even more convenient is not carrying cash at all. ;)
I've spent six years over there lol. And you know green is boring, that's why nobody uses cash over here ;)

Exactly. CC's for everything.

Reactions: Bobby and dare2be
comfortably_numb

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
Exactly. CC's for everything.

Cash is easy to lose and can't be easily replaced. I've had the unfortunate experience of losing my wallet before; fortunately I had no cash inside. Several phone calls to banks and I was on my way to free replacements.

Reactions: TheKrell