Canadian Cancelling my Directv Service, need advice on how to manage the return

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Rockstead

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Earth
So I have been a loyal subscriber for 10 years, but I just can’t do the $180/month anymore and it is hard to justify because the family doesn’t watch live tv anymore, it ends up being 95% Netflix.

What is the best way to proceed with the cancelation and return of equipment? Will Directv insist on sending return boxes or will they email return postage which would be preferable.

The address on my account won’t match up with a real physical address, but I can use one of those forwarding services to receive packages for me.

Does Directv offer customers any equipment drop off locations? Or is there a way of finding a local Directv installer and giving them the equipment?

I’m returning HR24s and a HR44, In the past when I needed to drop a receiver, they told me I can throw it out but that was a HR23.

Thank you.

Given that you're canceling, I'm not all that sure that it matters where you are. Unless someone has a better idea, I would consider telling them you're in Canada and ask them what to do with the equipment.

Given that you're canceling, I'm not all that sure that it matters where you are. Unless someone has a better idea, I would consider telling them you're in Canada and ask them what to do with the equipment.

I don’t want to over complicate things going that route, I’m an hour away from a US town, so it’s not an issue for returning them in the USA.

Does anyone know if any of the following can be done:

- I bring the the receivers to a USPS store for them to pack and return boxes using Directv prepaid service?

- Return to a local installer or affiliate store?

- Directv emails me prepaid labels and I pack everything myself and drop off at USPS?

Whenever I've needed equipment returned, they've send boxes. Tell them you have the original boxes and would be more than happy to save them the trouble of shipping them.

Perhaps they can email you the shipping labels like Amazon does.

Robjlevin is correct. Let Directv decide what to do. Tell them you have moved to Canada and that's why you are cancelling. You have their equipment what do they want you to do about returning it.... No reason you can't give them your actual Canadian address.

Robjlevin is correct. Let Directv decide what to do. Tell them you have moved to Canada and that's why you are cancelling. You have their equipment what do they want you to do about returning it.... No reason you can't give them your actual Canadian address.
This sounds like a good solution seeing your Cancelling ...
What recvrs are you using at the moment ?
If they are older, they may say not to bother returning them.

Reactions: Bruno
They are only taking HR24s and newer. In fact, I don't think they are taking HR24-100s.

I just replaced an HR24 and they did not want it back, but I don't remember which model it was.
Last I knew, they were taking HR24-500s, but not the 100s.

They still want me to send back all my HR24s and cards, that would be so much easier if it was just my HR44. I explained the situation, no they can’t email prepaid labels, and they said to walk in a UPS store with my email and account # and it will be free, doesn’t make sense, and they specified this for UPS Canada, I can’t blame them for being lost since it’s quite an unusual request I’m sure. I expect to walk in to UPS and end up having to pay out of pocket, my price to pay, it was a nice 10 year run, I’ll miss certain aspects like the season manager for sure, it’s just way too much of an expense since the rest of the family just watches Netflix.

I think he rules in replacement vs cancelation May be different, in the past I had replaced a unit and they also told me to chuck the old one.

They still want me to send back all my HR24s and cards, that would be so much easier if it was just my HR44. I explained the situation, no they can’t email prepaid labels, and they said to walk in a UPS store with my email and account # and it will be free, doesn’t make sense, and they specified this for UPS Canada, I can’t blame them for being lost since it’s quite an unusual request I’m sure. I expect to walk in to UPS and end up having to pay out of pocket, my price to pay, it was a nice 10 year run, I’ll miss certain aspects like the season manager for sure, it’s just way too much of an expense since the rest of the family just watches Netflix.

I think he rules in replacement vs cancelation May be different, in the past I had replaced a unit and they also told me to chuck the old one.
The UPS return may be accurate ...
When I returned recvrs, they send the box, with the pre paid label in the bottom of the box ... put the recvr in the box, the label on it, leave the Access Card in the unit, and I end up walking in the Fed Ex /Kinkos and hand the the box and they send it back.
Pretty painless ... No Charge.

The UPS return may be accurate ...
When I returned recvrs, they send the box, with the pre paid label in the bottom of the box ... put the recvr in the box, the label on it, leave the Access Card in the unit, and I end up walking in the Fed Ex /Kinkos and hand the the box and they send it back.
Pretty painless ... No Charge.

That’s the difference, the box they send you has prepaid postage affixed to it, that won’t be my case.

I’m sending back from Canada, I don’t have the prepaid boxes they ship out to the customer

Yay, spoke to a 3rd agent for a 3rd time who said i only have to send back HR44 and not my older receiver, so at least the cost will be less for me

I can use a parcel forwarding type of service but it’s a good 3 hours of driving combined, so more economical to just pay out of pocket

How was the account setup? Who’s name is it under?

Did a friend use their US social security number to set it up?

Depending on how the account was created, you may be un collectible.

I would just put the equipment in the closet and keep it if you ever want to come back. If they charge you for the equipment so what, because they will credit it back if you decide to come back.

I did the same thing to bell expressvu. I just never updated my credit card, and let the account go.

If you really want to send it back, get the mailing address and pay to ship it out of pocket UPS.

Unless they accept the return label, but those are generally USPS no postage due if shipped in the United States.

I'd definitely hold onto whatever receivers/dvrs you don't ship back for a while to be sure they don't charge your credit card for non returned equipment.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)