Canadian Perspetive

catamount

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
maritimes
I have been reading here for the past two years or so. I hate typing but here is my opinion. In Canada bundling is the only way to go. I had internet and home phone for five years on Bell fibe. After 5 years they finally convinced me to drop satellite and add tv to my bundle. My bill dropped from 111 to 109 and they gave me a pvr and two wireless receivers with the middle bundle about 350 channels. At the present I am getting unlimited 1 gig up/down , free us/canada calling and my 350 channels or so plus stingray and many other Canadian radio stations. I only have one 4K pvr. It is 8 bucks for a wireless if I need one upstairs.

I am paying 115 a month which would be about 88 American

I am not after Bruce because I think he is well-informed. I get almost every football that I want to see as well.

Just many different countries read this forum and my personal view.

catamount It's always great to see what other countries do! No need to apologize for being informative!

I might be wrong, but I think the big difference in Canada (and other countries) vs the US is that the US still refuses to let internet services (coax delivered, primarily) operate as a utility, which thusly would open the lines for competition and allow the free market to take over.

When I had starchoice/Shaw satellite I had Detroit locals, because I used to live in London and chose those instead of buffalo. Today I have all Boston locals. Paying $5 more would give me all the timeshift Ctv channels, plus Amc and Fx. I had this before and it gives me about 3 extra Nfl games both afternoon and evening. I get every game here that I am interested in on streaming fibe, no unnecessary apps. Most stuff is on a Tsn channel including all F1 races which I enjoy watching. No type of Rsn fees or other fees..

Catamount

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Do u get all the CTV
And TSN CFL GAMES
When I lived in San Francisco my friend had season tickets for the Edmonton ESKIMOS
SO I WOULD FLY UP
TO EDMONTON ON WEEKENDS TO SUPPORT THE ESKYS AND I WENT TO THE GREY CUP 6 years in a row

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Do u get all the CTV
And TSN CFL GAMES
When I lived in San Francisco my friend had season tickets for the Edmonton ESKIMOS
SO I WOULD FLY UP
TO EDMONTON ON WEEKENDS TO SUPPORT THE ESKYS AND I WENT TO THE GREY CUP 6 years in a row

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, I would get most of the Cfl games, either on Tsn or Cbc. I think there is about 5 Tsn channels and 8 sportsnet channels. Plus there is the golf network and Nfl network. Plenty of sports for those inclined.

I have been reading here for the past two years or so. I hate typing but here is my opinion. In Canada bundling is the only way to go. I had internet and home phone for five years on Bell fibe. After 5 years they finally convinced me to drop satellite and add tv to my bundle. My bill dropped from 111 to 109 and they gave me a pvr and two wireless receivers with the middle bundle about 350 channels. At the present I am getting unlimited 1 gig up/down , free us/canada calling and my 350 channels or so plus stingray and many other Canadian radio stations. I only have one 4K pvr. It is 8 bucks for a wireless if I need one upstairs.

I am paying 115 a month which would be about 88 American

I am not after Bruce because I think he is well-informed. I get almost every football that I want to see as well.
Why would I think that?

That price is what I pay for just 1 gig down and only 40 up, I would love 1 gig up and down.

When I have to do video conference calls to California, they always tell me it constantly breaks up and drops on their end from me, but from them to me, looks perfect.

All the Broadband Cable Providers keep promising better upstream speeds, never seems to happen.

I have same speeds with fibre through the telco (consolidated communications but they call the fibre Fidium) here in Minnesota
250mb down
250mb up
Just sayin’

I guess I am just surprised at what you guys have to pay in the US for all your services. I know that our cell phone rates have been much higher for years, probably from lack of competition. I figured your broadband costs would be quite a bit lower.

Catamount

How much?
It’s included in my rent. We use to have dsl but they converted the buildings to fibre.
The speed is an odd one as Consolidated has 100mb, 300mb, 1 gig and 2 gig for the public. So 300mb shows $55 a month for a year then $75. 100mb is $35 then 55. 1gb is $65 for a year then $85. 2gb is $85 then $100

catamount It's always great to see what other countries do! No need to apologize for being informative!

I might be wrong, but I think the big difference in Canada (and other countries) vs the US is that the US still refuses to let internet services (coax delivered, primarily) operate as a utility, which thusly would open the lines for competition and allow the free market to take over.

The problem is the capital investment required to run fiber or cable (outdated technology, so it would be fiber) throughout a city. Google has quite a few markets where they installed fiber and brought some competition, but the investment to lay the infrastructure is extremely high and few companies are willing to do so. Wireless is the future.