Canadian Satelite in Oregon

GeneralLumiere

Original poster
Jan 7, 2010
West Coast
Welcome,
I am sorry if this topic has been already covered. I am a Canadian living in US in Oregon, and I would like to watch Canadian TV which I am missing so much.
Are there are any tips, dealer contacts, helpful information, tutorials, anything I need to know, to install such system? Where to buy it, what kind, what provider, tips to install, etc...
Any help from people who already have done this?
One more question: I am planning to go to British Columbia for one day to purchase a set. Because I haven't been in Canada for last 10 years, I don't know anymore which retail stores sell satellite systems. Any information?
Thank you

Last edited:
might want to try KUSAT.com

I once used a dealer in the Vancouver area, but he's now out of the biz.

Vancouver BC or Vancouver WA? BC dealers are no help for me as I live in Oregon.
I visited the site you quoted and that is a Canadian service for Canadians living in Canada. I couldn't find there anything for US customers.

Vancouver BC or Vancouver WA? BC dealers are no help for me as I live in Oregon.
I visited the site you quoted and that is a Canadian service for Canadians living in Canada. I couldn't find there anything for US customers.

Give them a call and expain your situation, they are known for helping people in your situation. No one has ever said a bad thing about them here and I had a Shaw Direct dish shippend to me at my US residence from them.

I couldn't find there anything for US customers

Technically, from the vantage point of Canaidan Satellite Provders, there is no such thing as an "American Customer". You are delving into the realm of the "grey market". While this isn't necessarily bad, there are some technecalities and possible gotcha's.

I have not done business with the company to which you have been recommended, but I have seen nothing but good reports from those who have.

If you would like more details about "grey market" TV before you make a move, send me a PM.

I purchased my Starchoice system from Kusat and had it shipped to my address in Minneapolis

as joshuals noted there is no thing as an "American Customer"...you are a customer with a Canadian address using it outside of Canada ;)

Some time ago I remember you had a quad lnb failure and you stated at the time you could not find a replacement.....doesn't KuSat sell the quad lnb's as a single item?

I found out it ended up being the receiver but I did have some issues with the quad getting lower signals on one polarity

I ended up going with a Primestar dish on 107.3 for a while...then I got the 505 and went with a 4 footer for both :)

Attachments

• 100_0288.jpg
    100_0288.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 185
  • 100_0281.jpg
    100_0281.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 188
Lumiere:

If you are planning on going to BC anyway, it may be easier to buy equipment yourself and bring it back. If you have relatives there, use their address. You can pay your bills and do programming on line. I would recommend ShawDirect instead of Bell, but others may disagree.

The other option like everyone else suggested is to go through a broker and have items shipped to you. My supplier is no longer doing it, but my broker is still working and I would recommend her to anyone.

Lumiere:

If you are planning on going to BC anyway, it may be easier to buy equipment yourself and bring it back. If you have relatives there, use their address. You can pay your bills and do programming on line. I would recommend ShawDirect instead of Bell, but others may disagree.

I agree 100%. That is the best way to do it if it all possible.

Thank you all for the advice. The shipment from KUSAT with Star Choice 505 receiver and 75cm antena is on the way. I am surprised how nice, helpful and cooperative those people are.
First, after I contacted them on the phone, a gentleman very nicely informed me of every possible detail I need to know. Then I placed an order, and minutes after that I received a phone call from another person with more help and instructions.
The UPS shipment is already on the way and should be here within several days.

And, of course, I will see how it really works when it arrives. Then I will be able to write my full review. However, so far I have been very satisfied.

hey rabbit dont be scared about instaling a dish! well I haven't done it with a dish that points to two sats, but its pretty easy for one sat. You just look up the place to point on the net and make sure evertyhing is straight first. When you get close the rcvr will make a sound or the bar will move or whatever that rcvr does.

Or maybe you could ask around and find a local installer with a reputatin for not asking questions. :)

Shaw

I have a 505HD receiver in the mail that I bought from a dealer in Alberta. It's a refurb and was a really good deal. I have a Canadian address. I was going to get one from KUSAT who I have dealt with before and had an excellent experience, but I found this half price deal.

I am getting back on Shaw after a 5 year Hiatus, just in time for the Olympics and the Championship Curling season. (I know, it's not for everybody).

iceberg lets say i got a starchoice system how would i get it installed, i know nothing about installing a dish
It's not that hard to do yourself. I thought it was initially, but it's not. anyhoo, you live in metro detroit. you may want to look on CL for sat installers in Windsor and see if anyone would be willing to come across the river.

The package from KUSAT has arrived. I need to install the dish now. I called many local dish installers in Portland and I haven't found anyone who was willing to install the Canadian dish. They are OK with US dishes, of course, but don't want to touch anything Canadian. Legal issues?
It seems I have to do it myself. I opened the package from the box and tried to figure out the parts, I will see. It tooks quite complicated. I downloaded the angles from the site Satellite look-angle calculator. The azimuth and elevation should be ok to set, but I am not sure about the skew angle. I couldn't find a way to set it. I will be working on it this weekend...

but don't want to touch anything Canadian. Legal issues?

Possibly, and/or they may not have the experience at doing such an install. If they don't have the experience, you're better off not paying them by the hour to learn......

For help on assembling, mounting and pointing your dish, the Kusat Website has detailed instructions, though I am not 100% sure they are up-to-date. From their Home Page, click on "Install Your System" from the menu bar on the left side and select "Star Choice". There are 2 documents...one for assembly and one for mounting/pointing.

Did you receiver arrive pre-authorized with Shaw, or are you going to have to do this yourself?

Good luck to you....

PS...after re-reading your post, it occurred to me that perhaps you are confusing the "azimuth" with the "skew". The settings on the back of the dish are for "elevation" and "skew". Those you should set while still on the ground. There is no setting for the "azimuth" on the dish itself, but is rather the direction that the dish is pointed once it is mounted on the mast. The azimuth is measured in degrees clockwise from north. Be sure your information for the look angle (azimuth) is referenced to magnetic (compass) north and not "true" north. There's a big difference in your part of the world (about 18 degrees!). In any case, I think the Kusat instructions will make all this clear to you.

One last thing....take the time to make sure you mast is mounted plumb.....check it w/ a carpenter's level in all directions. If you skimp on this step, your elevation and skew will be off, even though you have set them correctly on the back of the dish.

Again...good luck.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)