Canadian Shut Out

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Steve McGarrett

Original poster
Sep 27, 2010
ontario
Hi, I'm new to the forum but am a long time receiver of Directv. (over 10 years)
Had it through Freeway Support most of that time, but they went down Friday at 6am Sept 24, permanently, since their phone numbers are dead.
Had to watch TV on my regular Canadian dish provider and it really pales in comparison to the USA providers.
Is there any legal provider these days for a Canadian to subscribe to Directv or dish network?
I don't want any of that hacked stuff, just want to pay for a subscription.
thanks,

Hi, I'm new to the forum but am a long time receiver of Directv. (over 10 years)
Had it through Freeway Support most of that time, but they went down Friday at 6am Sept 24, permanently, since their phone numbers are dead.
Had to watch TV on my regular Canadian dish provider and it really pales in comparison to the USA providers.
Is there any legal provider these days for a Canadian to subscribe to Directv or dish network?
I don't want any of that hacked stuff, just want to pay for a subscription.
thanks,

There's no legal way that I know of.

I don't have any good info for you either. But if your broker was killed your receiver is probably killed too, as in they won't activate it again. Even worse, if it is owned by DirecTv they may hit your credit card for the receiver cost, if it was being billed directly to you by Directv.

There is no legal way to subscribe to DISH or DIRECTV in Canada which is why these brokers were shut down.

Personally I think its a stupid law, you should be able to watch what you want to pay for...

While I think most laws in Canada are stupid dont be surprised if you get a letter from Directv Legal after they sue your broker and they hand over all there records.

There is no legal way to subscribe to DISH or DIRECTV in Canada which is why these brokers were shut down.

Personally I think its a stupid law, you should be able to watch what you want to pay for...
Can't Americans subscribe to Canadian sat services? Or is that also illegal but people do it regardless?

Can't Americans subscribe to Canadian sat services? Or is that also illegal but people do it regardless?

1. Canadian DBS providers dont want to have to deal with american taxes that main reason, then there support infrastructure repair that hthey dont have so they actively discourage use of there services in the good ole usa.

2. There is no US or Canadian law that says Shaw Direct (starchoice ) / BEV ( Bell Expressvu ) cant resell to the US citizenship.

3. There a CRTC laws that prohibit US Satellite providers from offering services to Canadians. CRTC is the Canadian form of the FCC

Hence why having having DTV in canada is considered illegal while having starchoice in FL more of a grey area.

While I think most laws in Canada are stupid dont be surprised if you get a letter from Directv Legal after they sue your broker and they hand over all there records.

Ha, ha, ha. That is complete nonsense. What would Directv sue for????? He was paying for the service.

Not sure why you have such a hate-on for Canadians watching what they want.

Ha, ha, ha. That is complete nonsense. What would Directv sue for????? He was paying for the service.

Don't be so surprised .....

It is illegal for D* service to be in Canada, according to the Canadian law.
Nothing against Canadians watching TV.

Never said they would sue him.

What will happen is he get a letter tellin him it was illegal and request to return his recievers.

The broker will be sued though.

3. There a CRTC laws that prohibit US Satellite providers from offering services to Canadians. CRTC is the Canadian form of the FCC

Actually it was a ruling by the Supreme Court of Canada where they were forced to interpret a ambiguous section of the Radio Communications Act 9(1)(c). The Supreme Court interpreted section 9(1)c to mean that Parliament had intended for a total ban on decoding all encrypted satellite TV signals, regardless of origin, allowing only government-favoured Canadian providers to grant authorization to decode encrypted satellite TV signals in Canada.

It was Bell that took this case to the Supreme Court. The Liberal government at the time completely supported Bell and its efforts to censor what Canadians could watch and in fact vowed to introduce a new Bill if Bell was not successful.

Bottom line, a Corporation supported by a corrupt Liberal government succeeded in determining what Canadians can watch on TV.

I can't see how anyone can support a nation being subjected to such censorship and control.

Don't some places have D* in Canada like the NHL network?

I think someone saw a D* holding page in the background once.

Listen.. to make things very simple for the op... Good luck finding another broker! They have all pretty much been whipped out.
You might get lucky n find someone that's willing to lend you a hand.. but besides that.. dont expect much.

Only other way to get the service is Go down to what ever American city is close to you.. pick up a receiver( or try fleebay).. Then use good old Skype to call up dtv and Give them an American address ( if you have American relatives use their address). Choose paperless billing and give em you CC info. End of story. You get billed directly, no broker to worry about. Problem solved.:up

Don't some places have D* in Canada like the NHL network?

I think someone saw a D* holding page in the background once.

The league owns the programming, I'm sure they have some agreement for a certain number of receivers in their many offices, be it New York or Toronto. It's quite a bit different.

It's not just Canadian Law, it has to do with licensing rights for TV shows, Canadian & other non US networks have to buy the rights for TV Shows that are produced in the US or by US Networks, this is how US Neworks and studios make money by selling the rights to their shows to other country networks. Also when US Networks buy the rights for themselves they only have the rights to show that show within the US. So a Canadian watching a US network outside the USA is actually contributing to that station breaking the law, even though they can do nothing to prevent it, this is why US satellite providers shutdown Canadian subs and vice versa because they are not permitted to allow subs outside of the USA which could be a condition stated in their carriage agreements or FCC regulations.

Funny how the grass is always greener on the other side, Canadians want US Services and Americans want Canadian Services.

That invsible line across the 49th parallel of North America generates a lot of cash.

I can see a Directv Slimline mounted on the Air Canada Centre when driving by on the gardiner

Only other way to get the service is Go down to what ever American city is close to you.. pick up a receiver( or try fleebay).. Then use good old Skype to call up dtv and Give them an American address ( if you have American relatives use their address). Choose paperless billing and give em you CC info. End of story. You get billed directly, no broker to worry about. Problem solved.:up

This is the best way to do it

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)