Canceling DirecTV

MacDawg

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Boy! It took me over an hour to cancel my subscription to DirecTV. I was transferred three separate times and lost connection all three times. On that third time I had a number to call in case I was disconnected. This women told me....that Sunday ticket wasn't officially exclusive to YouTube yet. Then came the offers of 7monrhs free this and that. Etc etc. 2o years with them, and all they can say is 7 months free HBO Cinemax. SMH.

this sunday is the last weekend for sunday ticket. i threatened to cancel since i told em i can get the same package with the same amount of rooms cheaper than you people ;) . i got new customer pricing with no contract:). i'm willing to bet that DTV will be the next SXM with the rate game since there loosing sunday ticket

Reactions: MacDawg
Anyone else losing D* tonight. Trying to watch NCAA football and all I get is searching for signal. Tried reset, unplugging and on-line refresh but, no luck. The weather is clear and no recent storms. What gives? Time to drop D* as their service is bad and expensive.

Anyone else losing D* tonight. Trying to watch NCAA football and all I get is searching for signal. Tried reset, unplugging and on-line refresh but, no luck. The weather is clear and no recent storms. What gives? Time to drop D* as their service is bad and expensive.
no issues here and we just went through a massive storm. the genie didn't even ask us if we wanted to stream the shows. have you checked your signal in the menu :what2 :what2 the dish might be outta wack and may be need to be realigned. our signal is at 98%..... cherck for any loose connections also.

Reactions: Jimbo
He makes an appearance! ;)
Hardly the beginning, Directv has been on the decline for years.
Yep, 12 million down, then they had a financial report done, I assume because of the maybe merger, that revealed they are still losing 400,000-500,000 a quarter.

Also, I believe it was a mistake to give away ST to all Satellite subs, all that will do now is increase how many will want it next season and possibly leave.

But the main reason to give it away was to decrease churn, look good to Dish for a better deal of a merger that did not work out.

Last edited:
Reactions: raoul5788
A couple days ago, I canceled DirecTV after a month of having it paused, was an easy cancellation, received 1 offer of $20 savings per month, was asked why canceling etc. Didn't drag it out. Yesterday received my package by FEDX to return by USPS, and I packed up my system, remotes etc. and dropped it off at my local post office yesterday afternoon. BTW, switched to YouTube TV, plus have Peacock, Paramount + (free with TMobile), HBO Max, Showtime (free for 1 month, then $3.99/mo for 6 mos.), Netflix (free with TMobile), Hulu, Apple TV + (free for 6 mos with TMobile, haven't watched at all LOL), plus free apps Roku TV, and Freevee.

Reactions: dlma1
A couple days ago, I canceled DirecTV after a month of having it paused, was an easy cancellation, received 1 offer of $20 savings per month, was asked why canceling etc. Didn't drag it out. Yesterday received my package by FEDX to return by USPS, and I packed up my system, remotes etc. and dropped it off at my local post office yesterday afternoon. BTW, switched to YouTube TV, plus have Peacock, Paramount + (free with TMobile), HBO Max, Showtime (free for 1 month, then $3.99/mo for 6 mos.), Netflix (free with TMobile), Hulu, Apple TV + (free for 6 mos with TMobile, haven't watched at all LOL), plus free apps Roku TV, and Freevee.
Interesting, they had you drop it off at USPS ????
Normally its Fedex ... no boxes required, they box it all up.

hang on to the receipt with the tracking for a trillion years. you'll need it because they will say they never got your boxes!!! the guy at fedex told me there crooks!!!

AT&T tried that game when I sent back their internet equipment after I switched several months ago to Spectrum, which is far superior. They finally "researched" it and credited my account after less than a month.

Reactions: John2021
Boy! It took me over an hour to cancel my subscription to DirecTV. I was transferred three separate times and lost connection all three times. On that third time I had a number to call in case I was disconnected. This women told me....that Sunday ticket wasn't officially exclusive to YouTube yet. Then came the offers of 7monrhs free this and that. Etc etc. 2o years with them, and all they can say is 7 months free HBO Cinemax. SMH.
Only took me 25 minutes to cancel Dish Network at the end of August. Less hassle than I expected. :)

But I am having regrets. I'm currently subscribed to Philo streaming and miss some of the channels I lost. I can go online and sign up for Dish service again in only a few minutes!

All these companies should just let you go online and cancel. Would save a lot of people a lot of time and frustration.

Last edited:
hang on to the receipt with the tracking for a trillion years. you'll need it because they will say they never got your boxes!!! the guy at fedex told me there crooks!!!
And if you purchase your receiver yourself instead of getting the one provided, save your purchase receipt!!!!!!

Long ago I purchased my own ViP receiver and Dish claimed it was theirs. I had to fight with them to convince them that it was mine. Had to send a receipt showing proof of purchase. Finally they took it off of the "leased equipment" section of my account.

And I was still charged the DVR fee for my own equipment so it makes no sense (AFAIK) to buy a Dish receiver.

And if you purchase your receiver yourself instead of getting the one provided, save your purchase receipt!!!!!!

Long ago I purchased my own ViP receiver and Dish claimed it was theirs. I had to fight with them to convince them that it was mine. Had to send a receipt showing proof of purchase. Finally they took it off of the "leased equipment" section of my account.

And I was still charged the DVR fee for my own equipment so it makes no sense (AFAIK) to buy a Dish receiver.
the only reason it makes sense to buy a receiver is to mod it such as swapping out the HDD for an SSD but other than that it's not worth it. i read stories such as you posted about dish wanting owned boxes back!!!

Reactions: N6BY
I had to call DirecTV just to make sure. Because the email told me just to return HS17-100 only. So I called, the guy on the phone told me to place the C61K-700 receivers, remotes and power cords in recycling bin. They only want the HS17. I said make sure you note that in my account.
Why they throwing these away?

• Sad
Reactions: Jimbo
I had to call DirecTV just to make sure. Because the email told me just to return HS17-100 only. So I called, the guy on the phone told me to place the C61K-700 receivers, remotes and power cords in recycling bin. They only want the HS17. I said make sure you note that in my account.
Why they throwing these away?
LOL they wanted our C61k back :what2 :eek: and the power cords. the only things they didn't want back was the grubby remotes:D.

LOL they wanted our C61k back :what2 :eek: and the power cords. the only things they didn't want back was the grubby remotes:D.
Besides the Hopper Duo, Dish DID ask for the remote control. And also the LNBF which is on top of my 2 story house. I complied.

But I am considering going back to Dish. I really miss the DVR and the ability to skip commercials before the show is over. I could simply find what I wanted to watch, hit pause for 10 to 20 minutes, and then watch the show and skip through the commercials. None of the streaming services I have tried let me do that.

Besides the Hopper Duo, Dish DID ask for the remote control. And also the LNBF which is on top of my 2 story house. I complied.

But I am considering going back to Dish. I really miss the DVR and the ability to skip commercials before the show is over. I could simply find what I wanted to watch, hit pause for 10 to 20 minutes, and then watch the show and skip through the commercials. None of the streaming services I have tried let me do that.
Buy the No Commercial version of the Apps ???