Canceling DirecTV

Besides the Hopper Duo, Dish DID ask for the remote control. And also the LNBF which is on top of my 2 story house. I complied.

But I am considering going back to Dish. I really miss the DVR and the ability to skip commercials before the show is over. I could simply find what I wanted to watch, hit pause for 10 to 20 minutes, and then watch the show and skip through the commercials. None of the streaming services I have tried let me do that.
Buy the No Commercial version of the Apps ???
Since N6BY posted this here, I will provide the rebuttal, but he should keep these types of things in the Cord Cutter area.

A certain someone kept saying the same thing and I posted pictures to prove him incorrect, I do not know what device N6 was using, but I had no issues pause, Rew, FF thru commercials or the actual program.

I used a Roku Ultra for the pictures but I recently tried the app on my Sony (Google TV) and it also worked fine, so I would assume it was user error, YTTV does take a little learning to get used to, but so does other providers if switching.

The red bar is how long the program has been running, I kept going back and forth to prove you can pause and then FF thru commercials-
8CDD9F26-152E-4B23-9166-AA4536D1DE9A.jpeg

DC454946-D4B2-4FCF-88C7-33654D42AA79.jpeg

A6701E55-3F92-4C12-B8E5-A03B08A8C958.jpeg

358C50A2-BCA4-4714-982D-B835BE10C235.jpeg

This last picture shows I went 34 min back, again no issue.
327FEDE1-04B7-4483-A34A-67AF13D22FCA.jpeg

Since N6BY posted this here, I will provide the rebuttal, but he should keep these types of things in the Cord Cutter area.

A certain someone kept saying the same thing and I posted pictures to prove him incorrect, I do not know what device N6 was using, but I had no issues pause, Rew, FF thru commercials or the actual program.

I used a Roku Ultra for the pictures but I recently tried the app on my Sony (Google TV) and it also worked fine, so I would assume it was user error, YTTV does take a little learning to get used to, but so does other providers if switching.

The red bar is how long the program has been running, I kept going back and forth to prove you can pause and then FF thru commercials-
[
(I realize this thread is about cancelling DirecTV, but I think streaming services are semi-relevant to the topic because most people will want a streaming alternative after cancelling satellite service. If I'm wrong then a moderator can move this to the Cord Cutters section.)

That being said, I wish I was wrong, but I could not do trick play with YTTV. Maybe it was the software on my Sony Bravia, or maybe it only works for certain channels. But I clearly remember not being able to do trick play with YTTV.

With YTTV the only way I could skip commercials was with recorded programs after they had ended.

And as you said, someone else had the same experience as I did. Maybe it depends on when you signed up for YTTV? Maybe you were 'grandfathered in" and old subscribers are allowed to do it while new ones aren't? Just a guess.

But there are at least two people here with a different experience than you.

If you still don't believe me then I will re-subscribe to YTTV or have my son do the trial and will create a YouTube video showing you what I saw.

(I realize this thread is about cancelling DirecTV, but I think streaming services are semi-relevant to the topic because most people will want a streaming alternative after cancelling satellite service. If I'm wrong then a moderator can move this to the Cord Cutters section.)

That being said, I wish I was wrong, but I could not do trick play with YTTV. Maybe it was the software on my Sony Bravia, or maybe it only works for certain channels. But I clearly remember not being able to do trick play with YTTV.

With YTTV the only way I could skip commercials was with recorded programs after they had ended.

And as you said, someone else had the same experience as I did. Maybe it depends on when you signed up for YTTV? Maybe you were 'grandfathered in" and old subscribers are allowed to do it while new ones aren't? Just a guess.

But there are at least two people here with a different experience than you.
How old is your Sony TV, might be the app on it, mine is less then 8 months old and the Roku Ultra also bought last year, on both it works fine, Roku Ultra is what was used for the pictures ( hooked to my Projector, hence why it looked faded, during the day).

How old is your Sony TV, might be the app on it, mine is less then 8 months old and the Roku Ultra also bought last year, on both it works fine, Roku Ultra is what was used for the pictures ( hooked to my Projector, hence why it looked faded, during the day).
My Sony is 3 years old. I don't have a Roku but I do have a Fire Stick about 1 1/2 years old.

My Sony is 3 years old. I don't have a Roku but I do have a Fire Stick about 1 1/2 years old.
That is the problem, apps on TVs never seem to get updated after 2 years, for example, one of Jimbo’s Sony TVs is about that old and does not have Apple TV as a app, while I do on mine because it is not that old.

They wanted my C61 back when I replaced it with the new DTV APP.

I do know that it has I also wonder how YoutubeTV has 5 million subscribers but can compete with others like DTV Stream when they don't have History, Science and some of the other classic TV show channels like METV, H&I and FETV? They also don't have ReelzTV.

Last edited:
They wanted my C61 back when I replaced it with the new DTV APP.

I do know that it has I also wonder how YoutubeTV has 5 million subscribers but can compete with others like DTV Stream when they don't have History, Science and some of the other classic TV show channels like METV, H&I and FETV? They also don't have ReelzTV.
Depends on the person, I watch none of those channels you list along with the majority of the other channels.

I only wish to have News and the Big Ten Channel, all other content I watch on the streaming services, specially for the better quality, ESPN was something I needed, but since MNF is now on ESPN+ and they lost the Big Ten Contract, not a big deal anymore except for College Football Playoffs, but those are rumored to be on + also next season.

Since I buy Google Play Cards with my Credit Card points to get it for free, but if I could not anymore, I would drop it.

That is the problem, apps on TVs never seem to get updated after 2 years, for example, one of Jimbo’s Sony TVs is about that old and does not have Apple TV as a app, while I do on mine because it is not that old.
TV companies need to FIX that issue ...
They can't expect you to spend high dollars on a new TV every 2 years.

Ummm…yes, that is what they want you to do.

Luckily , there is where a Roku comes in, so even if you need a new one every two years, it only costs $69-99.00, depends if on sale.

And even just 3 years ago, Televisions were HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 , now they are HDMI 2.1/HDCP 2.3 and you need that to play PS5/XBOX X at the highest quality, 2021 models, J, were the first ones with HDMI 2.1.

They only care about developing a new model every year, usually released between February and April.

The solution to the lack of TV App updates is an easy fix -- instead of replacing the TV just get a Roku, Fire Stick or whatever has the latest apps.

EDIT: Oops, looks like Bruce is a faster typist than me. :)

They only care about developing a new model every year, usually released between February and April.

The solution to the lack of TV App updates is an easy fix -- instead of replacing the TV just get a Roku, Fire Stick or whatever has the latest apps.

Already have Roku's, they are ok, but I'd rather use my Very Nice TV.

Fwiw, I did some digging and found that you CAN update Apps, at least on the Sony A95K ...
They update when the Software for the TV gets updated, or you can force it to find, this is Great info .....
============================================================================================
How to update apps on old Sony TV?

Steps from the Google Play store profile.
  1. Select Google Play store. If necessary, select Apps first, depending on your TV menu.
  2. Select your profile icon in the top-right of the screen.
  3. Select Manage apps and games.
  4. Select Updates.
  5. You can select any listed app to update or select Update all.

Reactions: larry55
Ummm…yes, that is what they want you to do.

Luckily , there is where a Roku comes in, so even if you need a new one every two years, it only costs $69-99.00, depends if on sale.

And even just 3 years ago, Televisions were HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 , now they are HDMI 2.1/HDCP 2.3 and you need that to play PS5/XBOX X at the highest quality, 2021 models, J, were the first ones with HDMI 2.1.
I refuse to buy new equipment every other year because said company is too lazy to make something that is capable of being ADDED to.

However, like I posted, you CAN update your Apps on the Sonys .... particularly if your on the Google system, not as sure about the older Android system.

So the idea is to get inferior product and keep replacing ... how well does that go over if you have say 5- 10 rokus around. every other year.

Already have Roku's, they are ok, but I'd rather use my Very Nice TV.

Fwiw, I did some digging and found that you CAN update Apps, at least on the Sony A95K ...
They update when the Software for the TV gets updated, or you can force it to find, this is Great info
The K Series yes, it is a newer model, I have the Z9K, still can do everything with it, in 2-3 years, I have no illusion about it, no more updates or additions, will will be onto native 8k and HDMi 2.2.

Or worse, TV Manufacturers keep taking about going to Display Port because of higher bandwidth than HDMI cables, copy protection and gaming.

Then I will need a new surround sound processor also, but my guess is when PS6 is out is when we go to display post, so at least 5-7 years away.

The K Series yes, it is a newer model, I have the Z9K, still can do everything with it, in 2-3 years, I have no illusion about it, no more updates or additions, will will be onto native 8k and HDMi 2.2.

Or worse, TV Manufacturers keep taking about going to Display Port because of higher bandwidth than HDMI cables, copy protection and gaming.

Then I will need a new surround sound processor also, but my guess is when PS6 is out is when we go to display post, so at least 5-7 years away.
Your Z9 should last at LEAST That long.

So the idea is to get inferior product and keep replacing ... how well does that go over if you have say 5- 10 rokus around. every other year.
If you like the Google system there are options that are affordable ad some that cost more and are premium

I never recommend using the built in tv streaming, or at least expecting to long term. For reasons you yourself have experienced. Much cheaper if you’re going to keep a still very capable display to just update the streaming component.

If you like the Google system there are options that are affordable ad some that cost more and are premium

I never recommend using the built in tv streaming, or at least expecting to long term. For reasons you yourself have experienced. Much cheaper if you’re going to keep a still very capable display to just update the streaming component.
If Streaming on a TV sucks so bad, why was/is the Big push for Smart TV's ?

You can add a Roku or a Fire Stick to just about any TV.

If Streaming on a TV sucks so bad, why was/is the Big push for Smart TV's ?

You can add a Roku or a Fire Stick to just about any TV.
It’s a selling point, and a poor one.

I’d much rather have a dumb tv, for less, and do my own streaming device. But to get a decent set that isn’t available, so I simply ignore the built in streaming part, which is nearly always inferior even when new, and definitely is within a year or two.

Reactions: reddice and Mochuf
It’s a selling point, and a poor one.

I’d much rather have a dumb tv, for less, and do my own streaming device. But to get a decent set that isn’t available, so I simply ignore the built in streaming part, which is nearly always inferior even when new, and definitely is within a year or two.

The Android and Roku powered sets seem to be pretty solid.

Reactions: N6BY
The Android and Roku powered sets seem to be pretty solid.
Only for about 2-3 years, that is what Ronnie is referring to with Jimbo who has a Sony set that is only 3-4 years old and cannot get the newest apps, like Apple TV for example, while on a set he just purchased, he can get everything, in 2-3 years, rinse and repeat.

That is why a Roku device is preferred, a lot cheaper to change it up every couple of years.

Now, with if the rumors of Display Port with 8K instead of HDMI are true, it will just like when they got rid of Component inputs in favor of HDMI, we all will need new TVs.

Again, rinse and repeat.

Reactions: N6BY