Canceling Dish - refund?

mjrusso45

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Cincinnati, OH
I Just canceled my Dish account and I forgot to ask the CSR about any prepaid time left on my account. They turned off the programming before i got off the phone. Don't I actually pre-pay a month before the actual program month I am getting? Does this mean I should be getting a credit check from Dish network? Curious if anyone has experience with this.

From the DISH Network website:
Residential Customer Agreement said:
You understand that, except in certain limited circumstances, charges for Services, once charged to your account, are nonrefundable and no refunds or credits will be provided in connection with the cancellation of subscriptions to Services.

I confirmed that I had no commitment before I canceled. I dunno, it seems like if I paid for a month of service, and canceled on day 10, they should owe me 66% of my monthly fee back.

If I cancel on day 10 and I won't get a refund for the rest of the month, why do they turn it off immediately? Shouldn't they leave it on until the billing cycle is up, or at least tell me what my options are?

I guess that's just me, and every other company I have done business with. ;)

you can cancel on day 2 and it wouldn't matter. don't expect a refund chief. :) this applies to any other sat or cable co.

Dish has never just gave me a refund. I've always had to call and request my money back when I have a credit balance. Doesn't matter if it's $2 or $20, they don't automatically refund it.

Edit: oh, I misread. I didn't see that you were a prepaid customer. No, I wouldn't expect any kind of refund.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Dish has never just gave me a refund. I've always had to call and request my money back when I have a credit balance. Doesn't matter if it's $2 or $20, they don't automatically refund it.

Edit: oh, I misread. I didn't see that you were a prepaid customer. No, I wouldn't expect any kind of refund.
I think he means "month to month", because you have to "pre-pay" for a month in advance.

And Jess you are correct, you do need to call and request a refund if you have a credit on your account. I just turned off my service with Dish and I had to call back and request a refund. It was credited to me debit account within 3-4 days.

From the DISH Network website:
I cancelled Dish before the end of my cycle. I wan no longer under contract. I got billed again the next month when I did not have service. This was right before the big cyber attack. I have called probably 20 times, and get a different story each time. Have been told numerous times I am being sent my refund. NEVER RECEIVED. I sent a letter as well. NO RESPONSE. It shows refund on my account (in words, no - showing a refund) then it says one time charge for the same amount with no explanation. I returned all of my equipment , after requesting the box about 4 times. I will NEVER recommend this company. I am truly owed my money back. I couldn't afford to keep it and that was why I cancelled to begin with. Then they auto deducted my payment when it wasn't due. That feature should have been turned off when service was disconnected. Someone please help me get my money back!

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I cancelled Dish before the end of my cycle. I wan no longer under contract. I got billed again the next month when I did not have service. This was right before the big cyber attack. I have called probably 20 times, and get a different story each time. Have been told numerous times I am being sent my refund. NEVER RECEIVED. I sent a letter as well. NO RESPONSE. It shows refund on my account (in words, no - showing a refund) then it says one time charge for the same amount with no explanation. I returned all of my equipment , after requesting the box about 4 times. I will NEVER recommend this company. I am truly owed my money back. I couldn't afford to keep it and that was why I cancelled to begin with. Then they auto deducted my payment when it wasn't due. That feature should have been turned off when service was disconnected. Someone please help me get my money back!
No one here can help you get your money back. This is a privately run forum for the general public. You have to call Dish and ask for the Loyalty department

Do a credit card chargeback

Reactions: charlesrshell