Cancelled before install

skeedatl

Original poster
Aug 6, 2004
I've been a long time DN customer but am disappointed with DN's lack of HD content. Voom seemed the logical choice so I had ordered it a few months back when they had a free install promo. After an installer no-show I decided to skip it and just keep DN. Today I thought I would give Voom another shot, but after ordering I thought I would browse the forum to see what people are saying.

Needless to say I was nervous. Horror story after horror story, not just about install issue, but billing and customer no-service. Then more stories about west coast problems, people forced to spend additional money for equipment (multiswitch) despite what was clear to me to mean free equipment in the ad I saw. Then OTA antenna problems that take months for Voom to resolve; having to request 24" dishes for areas that obviously should be them by default.

So I cancelled my install rather than risk signing up with a commitment and having to deal with possible penalties. Guess I'm stuck with DN for the time being.

skeedatl said:
So I cancelled my install rather than risk signing up with a commitment and having to deal with possible penalties. Guess I'm stuck with DN for the time being.

You're a little paranoid. The company who does the installs for Voom also do the installs for Dish and Direct. I've never had a problem with customer service. My billing has never been wrong. My install went fine. Don't read everything on these forums as "gospel" . A few people have problems with Voom, and some have many (and I bet those same people have problems with their bank, their employer, their credit card companies, and their marriage..maybe the problem is with them?). :cool:

Keno , my only problem is with Voom, so if they could actually get my 3 boxes working my life would be PERFECT, A BEAUTIFUL WIFE, A BEAUTIFUL HOUSE AND S***LOADS OF HD

I read this and thought--why doesn't the guy post this on the Dish Network forum, so I looked. Here is part of what he posted over there.
skeedatl said:
After reading this this evening I called Voom and cancelled my pending install for the 18th. While I'm bummed at DN's dismal HD offerings I don't want to risk committing to a service where 80% of the posts are complaints about serious problems.
If 80% of the posts in the Voom forum are complaints about serious problems, I'll eat my hat and I'll eat DarrellP's projector and skeeters. Seems like somebody needs some math lessons, but would probably cancel before starting the course.

skeedatl said:

Well, I canceled my V* because we moved and they wanted to charge us a fee I refused to pay.

Let me tell you, after going back to D* the V* HD line-up is very very missed around here. D*'s offerings are dismal in comparison to say the least.

If V* had the deal going thats offered right now when we moved I wouldn't have thought twice about continuing with them. I still have lingering regrets. Strong ones actually, and if it weren't for the free HD D* package for 6 months I would have V* re-installed. Crappy STB and all.

Your reasons for not trying V* are ridiculous. It's hands down the best HD Sat provider available. Warts and all.

skeedatl said:
I've been a long time DN customer but am disappointed with DN's lack of HD content. Voom seemed the logical choice so I had ordered it a few months back when they had a free install promo. After an installer no-show I decided to skip it and just keep DN. Today I thought I would give Voom another shot, but after ordering I thought I would browse the forum to see what people are saying.

Needless to say I was nervous. Horror story after horror story, not just about install issue, but billing and customer no-service. Then more stories about west coast problems, people forced to spend additional money for equipment (multiswitch) despite what was clear to me to mean free equipment in the ad I saw. Then OTA antenna problems that take months for Voom to resolve; having to request 24" dishes for areas that obviously should be them by default.

Don't worry you are not missing anything not having VOOM,except for 39 headaches a day.Or credit card issues,reboot the box,white dots on the screen,pixelation,severe rain fade issues

branchbouncer said:
Don't worry you are not missing anything not having VOOM,except for 39 headaches a day.Or credit card issues,reboot the box,white dots on the screen,pixelation,severe rain fade issues

branchbouncer, I am sure you realize how silly your statement is.

Out of 26,000 subs, how many actual bad posts have you read about here? As much as I complain about the PQ, I still love the service and had a great install experience. You do not say where you are specifically, but if you are on the West coast, chances are you can get a 24" dish the first install if you request it.

I had 2 consecutive months of double billing for the $5 mirror fee but it was corrected on the next billing cycle after I called about it. Aside from the EPG not staying current and the skeeters running amok in the picture, I have no complaints about Voom.

I see them making strides to move ahead and provide the best service & picture possible in the next few months. If they do get the new encoders working to the point where they can chase away the skeeters and have a pristine picture (on EVERY channel), I will think I've died and gone to heaven.

I think the key to a good install is obtaining your installer's phone number and keeping in close contact with them prior to the install. Call them 3 or 4 times to verify your appointment and the receipt of your equipment. Call them the day before and verify they have your gear and you are still scheduled. Call the day of your install and verify that the installer is on time and will make it that day. Make prior arrangements for a bigger dish and antenna before the install if you know you are in a fringe area.

YOU are the key to a successful install. You can't rely on some guy making $8/hour to keep you informed and be on the ball.

skeedatl said:

Someone up there likes you. Whether you realize it or not, you have saved yourself enormous amounts of time, money and frustration. Do you really want Starz and Cinemax HD that badly? The exclusive channels are worthless and to deal with spotty equipment, no dvr, billing and installtion issues is not worth it.

Congrats on your decision.

PS - Vote for me in the Voom Basher poll!!!! :)

skeedatl said:

You made the right decision and I applaud you for it.
This company is not yet ready for "prime time". If you like being a beta tester, then VOOM is for you, but for the 99% of us who just want to watch tv (with a dvr option) w/o drizzle fade occuring and stb lockups then stay away.

So for zubin and Voomster...exactly WHY do you folks even bother posting here?
You say that the exclusive channels are worthless. To whom? You, maybe...but one man's pill is another man's poison.

I don't like Honda 's, but I'll be damned if I'm going to waste my time posting on a forum somewhere about why I think they're product is inferior for my personal use.

Maybe you just like to read your own posts?...or you enjoy a certain noteriety by goading others to respond to you?...don't know, but either way, you won't be getting any more responses from me.

I just don't get why you're here?

Lob

andrzej said:
branchbouncer, I am sure you realize how silly your statement is.

The statement is not silly,it is fact you VOOMERS think that the service is cutting edge"Bullsh!t".Satellite service has been going on years before D*-E* and VOOM (by the way who thought of such a "silly" name) and never has it take a provider so long to get it together.If it wasn't for the Ku sat broadcast half of the crap would even come in(that is refered to as a Master Signal).There is more to say but it isn't even worth dealing with anyone in their not right mind to waste the time.I hope VOOM manages to stay alive long enough to make D*-E* gear up more but if they don't,we will always remember them as a fart in the wind.

Lobstah said:
...exactly WHY do you folks even bother posting here?

... goading others to respond to you

Lob
I think you answered your own question. And played into their hand.

Farewell all,as boston would say "Its been Lovely"

No pun intended--I hope you'all have a great holiday and a safe journey to those who travel and to those who visit you and that the New Year brings good will to everyone(make it special for the kids they still belive in the simple things)Live long and Enjoy

keno said:
A few people have problems with Voom, and some have many (and I bet those same people have problems with their bank, their employer, their credit card companies, and their marriage..maybe the problem is with them?). :cool:
Keno, good post I loved how certain people felt the need to defend themselves, even though you didn't mention names or specific posts.

keno said:
(and I bet those same people have problems with their bank, their employer, their credit card companies, and their marriage..maybe the problem is with them?). :cool:
This must have hit home with a few people.

skeedatl, My install went great. I haven't had any problems. And actually some of the technical and install issues posted here I have experienced with other providers.

installation scheduling sucks

skeedatl said:

After waiting almost ten days for my installation appointment the installation company calls on sunday night to say they haven't recieved the equipment from voom and cannot do the install so I kindly told voom that since they do not have their act together they could simply put their equipment where the sun doesn't shine. I will stick with directv and get some real customer service....

branchbouncer said:
Farewell all,as boston would say "Its been Lovely"

No pun intended--I hope you'all have a great holiday and a safe journey to those who travel and to those who visit you and that the New Year brings good will to everyone(make it special for the kids they still belive in the simple things)Live long and Enjoy
Farewell, dont let the door hit you on the way out.

Lobstah said:
I just don't get why you're here?

Believe it or not, posts that have to do with Voom's problems help other members in making an informed decision on a dbs provider. I have D*, had E* for 5 years and my brother in law had voom for 5 days. I think sharing my experiences helps and can prevent some folks from becoming a beta tester.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts