Cancelled Dish

jb1945

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
Sacramento, California
Explained that the Fox channel in Sacramento was not available in HD over Dish for the last two football seasons. The CSR with a bit of attitude says it is not available in HD. I mentioned it is by OTA, on Directv and Uverse. She tells me it is not HD, just upconverted. For the rumor seekers out there, she says to expect a lot of local channel additions in April but carefully did not promise Fox in Sacramento. She also insisted I need to return the LNB from the dish on the roof.

This means you will no longer have:

1) The best DSS receivers available with features such as external DVR storage, home connection and great graphics.
2) VOOM HD channels.
3) Access to superstations.
4) Plus much more.

Tip: Buy an OTA antenna and plug into the back of your Dish receiver to gain access to your local FOX channel until Dish can provide it.

1) The best DSS receivers available with features such as external DVR storage, home connection and great graphics.
2) VOOM HD channels.
4) Plus much more.

Tip: Buy an OTA antenna and plug into the back of your Dish receiver to gain access to your local FOX channel until Dish can provide it.

1. Is questionable on reliability and features, the only thing dish dvrs have going for them is the external storage and then thats only on two models. Graphics wise is also debatable and really is a draw so long as you look at both services side by side with all brand new equipment from dish to a/v cables and properly tuned reflectors. ( Actually I forgot that there are alot more threads over the last 8 months about blocking / pixeling / blurring on dish )

2. No big deal on that, I've seen the voom channels and theres nothing of any big deal to loose there.

3. Depends on the person really doesnt it?

4. The only thing missing here is the dual tuner capability, outside of that there are no other features that he would be missing.

Depending on how far out he is from the transmitter buying an antenna could become a costly venture.

2) VOOM HD channels.
4) Plus much more.

2) VOOM HD channels. :what
Why can't he get SS? Does D* not carry them. Also he did not say if he was going to D* or cable.

Not everyone can get OTA. Many factors come into play. Location, I can't get any ota where I live because of the Mtns. Also if you rent you may not be allowed to put up an antenna.

I'm tired of the fanboys.

Best equipment out. And More HD will come this year. Unless u are in love with sports. Which i doubt he was or he wouldn't of already had Dish.

Come back for the best equipment...I dont care how good it is, if it doesn't get the channels you want, what good is it. I know, soon, soon, I am certain that E* will get the channels, but the certainly won't be getting more than D*. Also, I read on the "when can we see Sci Fi" thread that it was going to be soon. That was about 600 posts and many many moons ago, so what exactly is soon. This year sounds great, if we were in November, but dude, its February. Oh, and he did mention that he wanted Fox for the Football so apparrently he does like his sports a bit.

Come back for the best equipment...I dont care how good it is, if it doesn't get the channels you want, what good is it. I know, soon, soon, I am certain that E* will get the channels, but the certainly won't be getting more than D*. Also, I read on the "when can we see Sci Fi" thread that it was going to be soon. That was about 600 posts and many many moons ago, so what exactly is soon. This year sounds great, if we were in November, but dude, its February. Oh, and he did mention that he wanted Fox for the Football so apparrently he does like his sports a bit.
Good point.

I was wondering if anyone else would catch that last part

Not everyone can get OTA. Many factors come into play. Location, I can't get any ota where I live because of the Mtns. Also if you rent you may not be allowed to put up an antenna.
He lists Sacremento as his location so I think he should be able to get OTA. However, he didn't say what the problem was, just adios.

I don't understand why posters have to come on here and say they are leaving. Just go. It can't really be that important. Oh well, such is life.

:)

One less whiner, of which there are way too many on this forum.

The posts that tell people they are leaving are not nearly as obnoxious as the inevitable follow-up emails telling the OP that they are making a mistake ..

Those people who insist that THEY know better than the OP what is right for them are the people that are the idiots IMHO.

The posts that tell people they are leaving are not nearly as obnoxious as the inevitable follow-up emails telling the OP that they are making a mistake ..

Those people who insist that THEY know better than the OP what is right for them are the people that are the idiots IMHO.
Very good points but try to tell that to all of the Amazin Kreskins we have here.

Agreed. I don't really care one way or the other if a person is leaving Dish, but if they feel the need to post it here as a final way of venting, then so be it.

I see it as a cry for help on getting the LNB off the roof.

OORRR: he's quitting tv and reading more books...so he'll be smarter now. I've thought about that myself but I have this addiction to NHL center ice. If E* ever loses that, I don't care if I have to go back to using a damn VCR.

Tribune owns our FOX station, which insists multi-channel carriage as part of letting E* transmit our local FOX HD signal. Charlie will not cave in. The same is happening for Seattle.

If you can not get FOX OTA, then switching to Uverse or DirecTV is the only option. CSR's in any of the companies are usually the last person you want to find out info from or argue with, waste of time.

I'd say lack of FOX HD in Sacramento and Seattle is why many in these areas had left E*. So there is a point to this OP. The fact a lot of you simply jumped on him is a sign of frustration IMO, that the lack of HD's has taken its toll, and people are now in denial and become argumentative:)

Well, I guess everyone has their own agenda. I thought someone might be interested in April date given for some additions to Dish. I'll say a little to reply all this speculation. I like Dish in general and the 622 was very nice. It preformed well in providing the HD picture and the DVR functions. It also does a few nice things which are not very important to me such as storing photo albums and the external storage. I thought I had stated the lack of HD for Fox 40 was the main reason for leaving, was this missed? In addition, I am adding a second HD TV and another SD set to the house. The additional upfront fees, monthly rental/lease fees and telephone line requirements were more also than I wanted to deal with. If you are fine with it, it is ok by me. I like football but not enough to go to Directv for the Sunday Ticket. I did like the Voom channels for 8 or 9 months, but after that there was seldom anything new there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)