Cancelled Dish

Well, I guess everyone has their own agenda. I thought someone might be interested in April date given for some additions to Dish. I'll say a little to reply all this speculation. I like Dish in general and the 622 was very nice. It preformed well in providing the HD picture and the DVR functions. It also does a few nice things which are not very important to me such as storing photo albums and the external storage. I thought I had stated the lack of HD for Fox 40 was the main reason for leaving, was this missed? In addition, I am adding a second HD TV and another SD set to the house. The additional upfront fees, monthly rental/lease fees and telephone line requirements were more also than I wanted to deal with. If you are fine with it, it is ok by me. I like football but not enough to go to Directv for the Sunday Ticket. I did like the Voom channels for 8 or 9 months, but after that there was seldom anything new there.

1: If you live in Sacramento, get an antenna! I can get the station OTA and live 40 miles away.
2: If you think (overall/in the long run) you will get a better deal with another company, whether it be direcTV or cable forget it. You might disagree with me now, but come back when the promotions run out and sing me that song. :river

I thought I had stated the lack of HD for Fox 40 was the main reason for leaving, was this missed?

What's missing is whether you are talking about Dish not having Fox40 HD or Fox in Sacramento not being HD at all. Many 622/722 users are also using OTA in conjunction with their Dish receiver. OTA can be split out to all your other tvs as well. If you are leaving just because of a LiL and have not thought about OTA, then here is the suggestion. OTA can be recorded on the DVR, moved to an external drive, and looks great.

As for fees and expenses for multiple hookups, you won't avoid those unless you go totally OTA.

Good luck.

Best equipment out. And More HD will come this year. Unless u are in love with sports. Which i doubt he was or he wouldn't of already had Dish.

And how many threads of how many pages are there here on this forum about problems with the "Best equipment out."? Just the equipment related ones, not service or billing issues. The last time I checked, the running bug thread on the 622 was up to 28 pages. Great piece of equipment to have that many posts about that many problems. :rolleyes:

Come back for the best equipment...I dont care how good it is, if it doesn't get the channels you want, what good is it. I know, soon, soon, I am certain that E* will get the channels, but the certainly won't be getting more than D*. Also, I read on the "when can we see Sci Fi" thread that it was going to be soon. That was about 600 posts and many many moons ago, so what exactly is soon. This year sounds great, if we were in November, but dude, its February. Oh, and he did mention that he wanted Fox for the Football so apparrently he does like his sports a bit.

Yet another D* subscriber spouting off in a DISH thread. What is it with these guys? :confused:

Yet another D* subscriber spouting off in a DISH thread. What is it with these guys? :confused:

It might be the fact that there are alot of exdishpats out there and Im one of them both as a sub and an employee. Service wise I did like what I had with dish in the 311 and 508 I had and the only time I had an issue was when recordings were deleted, outside of that the service was good but I had to ditch it after a move to a location with a no line of site. Since I've left I stayed in a home with directv for a while and liked it actually more than dish and now Im on charter though it sucks alot, over the next two weeks I'll be going over to directv and att on a bundle with a life time price lock so its a win for me in several ways.

Alot of people are upset that are on these forums and more that are not, lack of much news at all from the dish since around this time last year plus continued issues with 129, 622 bugs, worsening problems with call centers overseas, worsening problems with installations, price increases and nothing to show for them, put it all together and you've got what is looking alot like a cable company and alot of this has happened in the last two years and thats not even with touching on the internal side of the coin.

2: If you think (overall/in the long run) you will get a better deal with another company, whether it be direcTV or cable forget it. You might disagree with me now, but come back when the promotions run out and sing me that song. :river

Why do you even pretend to know what is best for someone else ?

Maybe one of his "must haves" is a channel that Dish does not have - in which case - dish could give the programming away free - it would still be no good for the OP.

As long as you have the TV entertainment that YOU want ... you should have ZERO need to criticize anyone else for making a decision that is right for them.

Why do you care what anyone else does ?

:rolleyes:

bottom line - don't worry your pretty little head about what someone else chooses to spend their own money on.

Last edited:
She also insisted I need to return the LNB from the dish on the roof.

I recently canceled Dish myself. I was told that I needed to return the receivers and remotes, which was to be expected. There was no mention of returning the LNB during either of the two phone calls it took to cancel the service or the multiple calls it took to receive the boxes. I read on this site that getting boxes out of them would be a problem and that they would charge my credit card if they did not get the boxes back in 30 days. With this in mind, I kept after them to get me my boxes, and they did with repeat phone calls.

Again, there was no mention of returning the LNBs while on the phone.

When the UPS truck delivered my boxes, I was excited to finally have the opportunity to return the receivers.

When I opened the first of the three boxes, I was shocked to see a two page instructional on removing the LNB and packing it in the box to send back.

Screw that!

I deal with chronic pain everyday and have had two back surgeries in the last year and a half, including a spinal fusion last June. The last thing I was about to do was climb up on the roof and remove the LNB. So I called Dish and said, "Look, I am handicapped and cannot climb up on the roof to save a child, much less remove part of your Dish, you are going to have to send somebody out to pick this stuff up if you want those two LNBs back."

She put me on hold for two minutes and came back to tell me she was waiving the requirement of returning the LNB. Rather than sending somebody out, they opted for leaving my LNB behind.

She said she notated my account but just to be on the safe side I put notes in each of the three boxes telling the unpacker to look at my notes, and that the LNB was not returned due to a handicap.

Good question though.... why do they want the LNB back??? are they afraid the ex-subscriber will find a way to steal a signal? What if the consumer wants to re-subscribe? It is just more work for them to reinstall the LNB. Why not just leave them all? Are they an expensive part of the cost of the Dish???

The Dish is ugly enough as it is on the roof, as it is left behind. But how ugly is a Dish on the roof without that LNB? Talk about trashy. They should remove the entire Dish or leave the whole thing. How ugly!

Why do you even pretend to know what is best for someone else ?

Maybe one of his "must haves" is a channel that Dish does not have - in which case - dish could give the programming away free - it would still be no good for the OP.

As long as you have the TV entertainment that YOU want ... you should have ZERO need to criticize anyone else for making a decision that is right for them.

Why do you care what anyone else does ?

:rolleyes:

bottom line - don't worry your pretty little head about what someone else chooses to spend their own money on.

Your reasoning and his don't hold water.

I recently canceled Dish myself. I was told that I needed to return the receivers and remotes, which was to be expected. There was no mention of returning the LNB during either of the two phone calls it took to cancel the service or the multiple calls it took to receive the boxes. I read on this site that getting boxes out of them would be a problem and that they would charge my credit card if they did not get the boxes back in 30 days. With this in mind, I kept after them to get me my boxes, and they did with repeat phone calls.

Again, there was no mention of returning the LNBs while on the phone.

When the UPS truck delivered my boxes, I was excited to finally have the opportunity to return the receivers.

When I opened the first of the three boxes, I was shocked to see a two page instructional on removing the LNB and packing it in the box to send back.

Screw that!

I deal with chronic pain everyday and have had two back surgeries in the last year and a half, including a spinal fusion last June. The last thing I was about to do was climb up on the roof and remove the LNB. So I called Dish and said, "Look, I am handicapped and cannot climb up on the roof to save a child, much less remove part of your Dish, you are going to have to send somebody out to pick this stuff up if you want those two LNBs back."

She put me on hold for two minutes and came back to tell me she was waiving the requirement of returning the LNB. Rather than sending somebody out, they opted for leaving my LNB behind.

She said she notated my account but just to be on the safe side I put notes in each of the three boxes telling the unpacker to look at my notes, and that the LNB was not returned due to a handicap.

Good question though.... why do they want the LNB back??? are they afraid the ex-subscriber will find a way to steal a signal? What if the consumer wants to re-subscribe? It is just more work for them to reinstall the LNB. Why not just leave them all? Are they an expensive part of the cost of the Dish???

The Dish is ugly enough as it is on the roof, as it is left behind. But how ugly is a Dish on the roof without that LNB? Talk about trashy. They should remove the entire Dish or leave the whole thing. How ugly!

It used to be that they did not ask for the LNB's back, but I think what had happened was people started selling the used LNB's and they often did not work which gave E* black eye. Now you are asked to send the LNBs back so they can make sure they end up in the trash bin.

However you were correct such requirement should be waived upon request by the ex-customers. The last thing they want is people start suing E* for falling from roofs.

As far as people switching from E* to D*, it is going to happen for some time. Look at it this way, it is about the only way to get E* to do something to be competitive, so in a way you folks should be thankful of those who go through the trouble.

And another way to look at it is, if significant amount of people switch, then E* will do more to try to get you to stay. As an example, E* subs now get Cinemax for $0.01 each year for two years. Before I called to switch two months ago, I was given HD pack free for 6 months ($20 off), then three months free all movies packs, then free external storage activation. They even offered me a 3rd 622 for $399 installation included.

In the end they could not stop me from leaving because I wanted to lease a 3rd and 4th HDDVR from them rather pay $900 to own them. I made sure them took my complaint to heart time and time again that they needed to change that "4-tuner" lease policy, before I finally canceled two weeks ago.

Now I understand a new E* HD sub can indeed lease up to 3 HDDVRs (722+2 612's) at a low cost. So those of you who can benefit from this policy change should be grateful there are people like us actually make good on our threat to leave because of those stupid company policies.

How else do you think a company will take your complaints seriously?

BTW D* costs less for me now with 4 HDDVR's and all the promo discounts that can last as long as 24 months. And I have not even touched on HD's yet.

I wish E* the best and am fully prepared to come back. Just at this point in time E* HD subs really have little to brag about.

Wll ota isn't always so great. I live 15 minutes from the Antenna Farm in Philadelphia. My signals are so all over the place. I've tried 12 different antennas. Some days I got 100 others 68. Sometimes it's 100 and 10 seconds later its 70. I've been told by pros their is a name for this problem, I think basically too strong a signal. Bought antennas designed for this and still have this problem. So I don't record anything I want to watch off the OTA I used the Dish Locals as I don't want to chance that I record on a night when I have 20 dropouts in an hour.

Just converted from D*, and believe me E* is by far better. I left E* 2 yrs. ago over disagreement with csr and gave comcast a try went to D* 6 weeks later. That was 1 1/2 yrs. ago. In that 1 1/2 yrs. I had to replace my receiver 6 times because it wouldn't work, I left on the latest failure. As for HD programming E* has a better pic quality, eventhough my ABC affiliate in Utah is sd I watch otr, I learned my lesson and will dye with E*.

Just converted from D*, and believe me E* is by far better. I left E* 2 yrs. ago over disagreement with csr and gave comcast a try went to D* 6 weeks later. That was 1 1/2 yrs. ago. In that 1 1/2 yrs. I had to replace my receiver 6 times because it wouldn't work, I left on the latest failure. As for HD programming E* has a better pic quality, eventhough my ABC affiliate in Utah is sd I watch otr, I learned my lesson and will dye with E*.

yeah, right. But what the heck does all that have to do with the thread?? And you guys are saying that the D* fanboys always turn everything into a E* vs D*.

yeah, right. But what the heck does all that have to do with the thread?? And you guys are saying that the D* fanboys always turn everything into a E* vs D*.

People have the right to defend their own turf, this is after all the E* HD forum.

However I agree with you the above poster was off subject, he did not even care about HD that much since he was watching SD OTA, so his experience should be discounted in this HD forum.

In that 1 1/2 yrs. I had to replace my receiver 6 times because it wouldn't work, I left on the latest failure.

6 receiver failures in that short of a time is an indicator that you have a problem thats most likely related to a grounding issue or an electrical issue or both. Theres a good chance your going to see the same problems with your dishnetwork receivers as well.

6 receiver failures in that short of a time is an indicator that you have a problem thats most likely related to a grounding issue or an electrical issue or both. Theres a good chance your going to see the same problems with your dishnetwork receivers as well.

I was going to say that, two words "static discharge." However it is possible the E* installer did the grounding correctly for him he will not experience the same issue. But if not yes the same issue will re-occur.

What's missing is whether you are talking about Dish not having Fox40 HD or Fox in Sacramento not being HD at all. Many 622/722 users are also using OTA in conjunction with their Dish receiver. OTA can be split out to all your other tvs as well. If you are leaving just because of a LiL and have not thought about OTA, then here is the suggestion. OTA can be recorded on the DVR, moved to an external drive, and looks great.

As for fees and expenses for multiple hookups, you won't avoid those unless you go totally OTA.

Good luck.

I have to disagree with this post. Being back with cable has been great for me. My locals in HD, External HD on my DVR, Hell yesterday I added a second HD reciever. All I had to do was take one of my recievers and swap it for the HD reciever. NO additional charge. Can you do that with DISH?

Anyways I am so sick of posters responding to these posts with dont let the door hit you and you will be back. Ultimatly everyone has a choice about providers. As a community we should support are fellow members in their choices and offer advise on way or another, but to berate them for their choices is just unwarranted.

With that said. To the OP I support your choice, and if you chose Cable, OTA, DTV, or eventually go back to Dish I will support that choice as well.

To all the other unsupportive posters, just think of it this way, by the OP posting his reasons for dropping E* it ultimatly may help you out as he is publishing his reasons nationwide and that can draw providers attention.

No, I think he just wanted help getting his LNB. No need to get philosophical, this is after all just TV.

Multipath

Wll ota isn't always so great. I live 15 minutes from the Antenna Farm in Philadelphia. My signals are so all over the place. I've tried 12 different antennas. Some days I got 100 others 68. Sometimes it's 100 and 10 seconds later its 70. I've been told by pros their is a name for this problem, I think basically too strong a signal. Bought antennas designed for this and still have this problem. So I don't record anything I want to watch off the OTA I used the Dish Locals as I don't want to chance that I record on a night when I have 20 dropouts in an hour.
That is plain and simple a multipath problem. The drop outs are showing you the cancellation of signal.