Cancelling Directv questions...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

asumovieman

Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
Bay Area
My bill next month is going to increase significantly and I still have 12 months left on contract but Directv seems like they don't cut me a deal to retain me as a customer so I have a few simple questions:
1. If I cancel and my service is shut off and I change my mind a few days later can they just reactive my equipment?
2. If I cancel and my service is shut off and I turn my service back on a few days later will I still be on the hook for my early termination fees?
3. Any idea of how to get directv to retain me as a customer with my current discounts?

1. Not sure, but if you haven't sent back the equipment, I would think so.
2. Yes
3. You can call and ask if there are any discounts available, but it's unlikely since you are new.

My bill next month is going to increase significantly and I still have 12 months left on contract but Directv seems like they don't cut me a deal to retain me as a customer...
They figure they don't need to offer big discounts because you're looking down the barrel of a $240 ETF. If having to pay a $20/month penalty isn't enough, a $20/month discount probably isn't going to keep you either.

Would you keep a customer who was always challenging you for big discounts?

The poster came asking questions, no need to give him a hard time.

Basically you have signed up for D*, got the first year discounts, now that your 12 month credits are leaving, you want them to give you more right away ?

I doubt thats going to happen.

You asked in the first question,
If I cancel and my service is shut off and I change my mind a few days later can they just reactive my equipment?

Why turn it off in the first place if you think you might turn it back on right away ?
Just sit on it and think about it before you decide...
I don 't know if theres a fee to turn the service back on or not.

You can always "Suspend " your service .... and reactivate it after that.

The suspension may be the way to go Jimbo, good call.

The suspension may be the way to go Jimbo, good call.
Suspending is surely a bad idea if the goal is wringing discounts out of DIRECTV:

1. A suspension EXTENDS any remaining programming commitment by the duration of the suspension.
2. A suspension does NOT extend the promotional period so any credits that would have been received during the suspension are forfeited.
3. Any installment payments resume after the suspension period; even if the season is over.

https://support.directv.com/app/ans...sion/L3RpbWUvMTQwNDA1NTQ3My9zaWQvRzZrSk0xWWw=

Did you see my "may"? It appears that the promo period is over for the TS. It is worth checking out.

Suspending is surely a bad idea if the goal is wringing discounts out of DIRECTV:

1. A suspension EXTENDS any remaining programming commitment by the duration of the suspension.
2. A suspension does NOT extend the promotional period so any credits that would have been received during the suspension are forfeited.
3. Any installment payments resume after the suspension period; even if the season is over.

https://support.directv.com/app/ans...sion/L3RpbWUvMTQwNDA1NTQ3My9zaWQvRzZrSk0xWWw=
The issue is we don't know if he's trying to LEAVE D*, he's mentioned Cancelling, or if he wants a break, or if he expects D* to pay half his bill for 2 years.

Your comments about the suspension extending time is correct, but we don't know what the person is really wanting.

IF he's just wanting more credits, good luck and I agree with Dishcomm.

Another suggestion not made, if finances were an issue, would be to Lower programming to make up for the increased cost.

Why don't you just pay your bill like everyone else and stop asking for freebies?. If you can't afford the level of service now, cut back on some. Companies need to make money too and constantly getting promotional prices puts the burden on everyone else to pay to make up the difference. There is always someone looking to take advantage of the system. DirecTV should clamp down on this practice and call the customer's bluff and I bet we will see people decide to stay with it.

Your comments about the suspension extending time is correct, but we don't know what the person is really wanting.
It sounded pretty clear to me that the TS wanted their first year credits extended another year (ie. "with my current discounts"). Suspending does not accomplish that goal.

In fact, unless you punch out and pay the ETF, it makes the rest of the commitment more expensive because you're forfeiting up to half of the second year discounts that are available to customers who signed up a year ago.

If you punch out, you have seven days to request return boxes (if they don't set it up upon cancellation) and a total of 21 days after cancellation to have the equipment in DIRECTV's hands.

Hello, I am in the EXACT same spot, my credits ran out this month but I have 1 year left on my contract. I have NO intention of leaving Directv, so I called up Directv and I said "cancel" and I got a wonderful lady in retentions. I simply told her that I absolutely LOVE Directv but my bill felt a little bit high, I didn't want to be a bother but I wondered if she could help me out at all. She immedialtely said, sure I can take $10.00 off per month for a year and give you a free gift of showtime for 3 months. I said that is very nice of you, but I don't want the 3 month showtime trial, she said it is NOT a trial it will show up on your account as a "gift" and just falls off after 3 months. I said, well in that case thank you so much for the discount and the free gift you have been wonderful, and that was that. So that is how I handled mine, even if she had said no I can't do anything I wasn't going anywhere anyhow so I had NOTHING to lose :)

Good for you, but make sure you check your bill in three months to be sure you aren't charged when the gift runs out.

Why don't you just pay your bill like everyone else and stop asking for freebies?. If you can't afford the level of service now, cut back on some. Companies need to make money too and constantly getting promotional prices puts the burden on everyone else to pay to make up the difference. There is always someone looking to take advantage of the system. DirecTV should clamp down on this practice and call the customer's bluff and I bet we will see people decide to stay with it.
I am sure that D* has a certain percentage that they expect to be on promos, this is wrote off ....
I bet there are a ton of people that have some kind of discount to thier bill weather it's large or small.

It sounded pretty clear to me that the TS wanted their first year credits extended another year (ie. "with my current discounts"). Suspending does not accomplish that goal.

In fact, unless you punch out and pay the ETF, it makes the rest of the commitment more expensive because you're forfeiting up to half of the second year discounts that are available to customers who signed up a year ago.

If you punch out, you have seven days to request return boxes (if they don't set it up upon cancellation) and a total of 21 days after cancellation to have the equipment in DIRECTV's hands.
That must be MUCH different than when you swap out a recvr, I've swapped out recvrs before and had to call back 3 times to get them to send boxes for returns.
I've had recvrs for over a month that have not been returned because they failed to send boxes ... thats on them, I just make sure that I don't get billed for the recvr sitting in the house doing nothing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)