Cancelling Dish Network service

I had DirecTV from 95-2001, then Dish until 2015, tried Comcast for about a year and tired of all the outages, worse than rain fade on satellite, which is at least predictable. Went to DriectTV and was fine until the usual jack up price of $50 with no real deals to keep me. Went back to Comcast, but realized their service had gotten even worse than before. Now using Hulu for a month, which is decent, but a little clunky to use at times and their pricing not much of a bargain once you layer on what you need. I have been thinking about coming back to Dish. I am looking at HomeRun Scribe to get my locals and save $12 a month form Dish making it attractive for 2 years. Not a fan that then I will have basically 3 apps for TV, Homerun for locals, HBO Now for HBO since Dish and ATT are not getting along then The Dish itself. I like the aggregation of everything in one place, but the costs associated may not be worth the convenience.

As for the Tivo Edge I have been eyeing that, and actually like it, but their $149 a year fee is steep, the Homerun Scribe is $35 a year with first year included with device.

With Tivo, unless you are in a hurry, just watch for sales that come along a few times a year. Often they have sales that include discounted ‘all in’ (lifetime) service. And they’ve had some that had $99/yr service deals too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: dishdude
I had DirecTV from 95-2001, then Dish until 2015, tried Comcast for about a year and tired of all the outages, worse than rain fade on satellite, which is at least predictable. Went to DriectTV and was fine until the usual jack up price of $50 with no real deals to keep me. Went back to Comcast, but realized their service had gotten even worse than before. Now using Hulu for a month, which is decent, but a little clunky to use at times and their pricing not much of a bargain once you layer on what you need. I have been thinking about coming back to Dish. I am looking at HomeRun Scribe to get my locals and save $12 a month form Dish making it attractive for 2 years. Not a fan that then I will have basically 3 apps for TV, Homerun for locals, HBO Now for HBO since Dish and ATT are not getting along then The Dish itself. I like the aggregation of everything in one place, but the costs associated may not be worth the convenience.

As for the Tivo Edge I have been eyeing that, and actually like it, but their $149 a year fee is steep, the Homerun Scribe is $35 a year with first year included with device.
Think about YouTubeTV at $50, includes all the extras that Hulu charges extra ( DVR and extra streams)

If you go with a OTA DVR , think about the Tablo, works great, that is what we have done, no longer pay For live TV, just Netflix, Hulu and Disney.

Sent from my LML713DL using the SatelliteGuys app!

Think about YouTubeTV at $50, includes all the extras that Hulu charges extra ( DVR and extra streams)

If you go with a OTA DVR , think about the Tablo, works great, that is what we have done, no longer pay For live TV, just Netflix, Hulu and Disney.

Sent from my LML713DL using the SatelliteGuys app!

Cool, checking it out, looks cool. Thanks for the suggestion.

Weather is great here today so I begin my final phase of removing the dishes off the roof and begin roof repair work. I'm pretty excited over physically cutting the cords today.
IMG_1570.jpg
IMG_1572.jpg
IMG_1573.jpg

Reactions: dishdude and LQQK
Cool, checking it out, looks cool. Thanks for the suggestion.

There is a good section on Satelliteguys called Cord cutters club where you can read all the "mine is better than yours " posts where members post their internet and OTA solutions. Finding the right replacement for satellite is a challenge because there are hundreds, maybe thousands of choices. Best you decide what is important to you and the way you like to view TV and then find what meets your priorities. You may need more than one box and service. One word of caution, be sure your internet provider doesn't have data caps and for OTA, be sure you have a good TV station signal.

I wondered if that was how they (whoever) elected to get the signal INTO the house. The wire from the Dish looks like it's coming over the fascia board.

OP said he was a 20+ year customer, so I am guessing this is a DIY install that was modified several times over the years. Originally it was probably 119 only, maybe a wing dish was added at some point, etc. I would guess the little box under the soffit once held a couple old SW21s or SW64 and signal was run into the attic through the soffit and then down to the rooms. Probably no basement in this house to run the cable so attic it is!

Probably no basement in this house to run the cable so attic it is!

It is in Florida so basements are rare, also Don already said he put up the Dishes himself.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

OP said he was a 20+ year customer, so I am guessing this is a DIY install that was modified several times over the years. Originally it was probably 119 only, maybe a wing dish was added at some point, etc. I would guess the little box under the soffit once held a couple old SW21s or SW64 and signal was run into the attic through the soffit and then down to the rooms. Probably no basement in this house to run the cable so attic it is!
No need to guess. Originally I had the DirecTV system in the mid 90's. Then added DishNetwork receiver, Next came VOOM. Now I had 3 dishes in a line. I then added the roof top antenna for locals. As Dish obsoleted my dishes and Voom went out of business and I dropped DirecTV, I ended up with a single dish that had weak 61.5 signal so I modified the main one by shielding the 3rd LNB and added the 30" dish for 61.5. This worked great for everything when it was in the clear but as years of tree growth passed I kept losing signal more frequently with wet trees from the rain. I could have relocated the dishes for clear angle but I didn't want to mount them into the roof where any leak would be internal. There is no place where in the middle of my yard would work either.

The connectors are all water proof ones with rubber seals and sealant and have been in place for many years and no leakage and I have never suffered a static failure or lightning strike. Waterproof connectors eliminate the ugly drip loops that cheap connectors mandate. Not shown is the entry point into the house which is through a block wall under the main floor through a block vent. Nothing runs into the attic space. House is not on a slab but 24" above ground and I can crawl under where all the piping and wires run from room to room. You are right the box was first for the DirecTV switch and later the obsolete SW64 IIRC. It's been disconnected for years.

With all that gone now I can prepare for whole house painting which it desperately needs.

Reactions: LQQK
Looks like Tivo4K may have a Solution this spring??
That looks more like a air tv type device than a dvr dongle solution. Any DVR capabilities it offers from what I can tell will be built into the apps that offer them, just like android tv and roku (or any other tv streamer)

No need to guess. Originally I had the DirecTV system in the mid 90's. Then added DishNetwork receiver, Next came VOOM. Now I had 3 dishes in a line. I then added the roof top antenna for locals. As Dish obsoleted my dishes and Voom went out of business and I dropped DirecTV, I ended up with a single dish that had weak 61.5 signal so I modified the main one by shielding the 3rd LNB and added the 30" dish for 61.5. This worked great for everything when it was in the clear but as years of tree growth passed I kept losing signal more frequently with wet trees from the rain. I could have relocated the dishes for clear angle but I didn't want to mount them into the roof where any leak would be internal. There is no place where in the middle of my yard would work either.

The connectors are all water proof ones with rubber seals and sealant and have been in place for many years and no leakage and I have never suffered a static failure or lightning strike. Waterproof connectors eliminate the ugly drip loops that cheap connectors mandate. Not shown is the entry point into the house which is through a block wall under the main floor through a block vent. Nothing runs into the attic space. House is not on a slab but 24" above ground and I can crawl under where all the piping and wires run from room to room. You are right the box was first for the DirecTV switch and later the obsolete SW64 IIRC. It's been disconnected for years.

With all that gone now I can prepare for whole house painting which it desperately needs.
Drip loops aren't just for water drainage. They provide excess cable in case of damaged connectors or just unscrewing connectors without removing cable clips

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts