Cancelling Dish to get Direct tv question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

robertjp

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 22, 2004
Upstate NY
Looks like Ill be making the switch after almost 10 yrs w/ dish. Does anybody know if Dish gives a credit for unused time ( my current bill is paid till Nov 18)or Am I donating this months bill to charley if I cancel now?

FYI Im tired of their buggy recievers (Im on my 3rd 811), No deals for longtime customers and being left in the dust w/ HD programming. Ive waited long enough.

Tell directv about your issue and ask for compensation for switching, you’ll most likely get it.

Looks like Ill be making the switch after almost 10 yrs w/ dish. Does anybody know if Dish gives a credit for unused time ( my current bill is paid till Nov 18)or Am I donating this months bill to charley if I cancel now?

FYI Im tired of their buggy recievers (Im on my 3rd 811), No deals for longtime customers and being left in the dust w/ HD programming. Ive waited long enough.

Thats funny my Mother in law is switching to E* due to D* not giving her any deals even though she was a converted Primestar customer. She wanted a DVR and they would not help her. Now she is switching to Dish and paying $30 less (after promotion expires) for the same amount of programing and getting a DVR and another receiver to boot.

Also the ViP622 is more feature rich then the HR20.

Corey

I too am looking at changing to Directv from Dish. Can anyone explain what "features" the 622 dvr has that the Directv box does not? The only item I have seen commented upon is the 30 second skip forward, which is a minor issue to me. Also, several comments seem to imply that two coax cables are needed to the the Directv box to serve the two tuners. Is this correct? It seems diplexers would do the trick just as they do on the Dish system.

only new customers get deals

When i got directv i had to pay $399.95 up front for the HD DVR-HR20
$100.00 for the the DVR and these are leased

I too am looking at changing to Directv from Dish. Can anyone explain what "features" the 622 dvr has that the Directv box does not? The only item I have seen commented upon is the 30 second skip forward, which is a minor issue to me. Also, several comments seem to imply that two coax cables are needed to the the Directv box to serve the two tuners. Is this correct? It seems diplexers would do the trick just as they do on the Dish system.

No because the signal coming from the two lines are on the same frequencies. On the dish system they are not as I understand it. DirecTV as no way currently of preventing the need for two runs. Also external hard drive storage for DVR content. Being able to offload though limited to a portable media player. Also being able to control your DVR over the internet. As well as in my opinion a better/cleaner interface.

Corey

No because the signal coming from the two lines are on the same frequencies. On the dish system they are not as I understand it. DirecTV as no way currently of preventing the need for two runs.

Actually, they do its called a swm and it will be available soon.

Also external hard drive storage for DVR content. Being able to offload though limited to a portable media player. Also being able to control your DVR over the internet. As well as in my opinion a better/cleaner interface.

You can also use a hard drive with most Dtv DVR's, internet options are coming.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply. The lack of external storage and offloading are not issues in my case. The 622 has 30 hours of HD space available which suits my needs. Is the Directv box similar? The need for a second coax could be a major issue.

directv costs too much,
Dish Network offer more channels for less
I’ve seen the dish channel line up, Id expect to pay less for it. BTW what do you pay for DVR service with Dish? flat fee of 5.99 here and I have 3 DVR's what would be the cost with dish? If you call dish with a problem what’s it cost per call? free here, in the end dish pays to use some of dtv satellites so I guess we are all DTV subs in a way, cant we all just get along! :)

Thanks for the quick reply. The lack of external storage and offloading are not issues in my case. The 622 has 30 hours of HD space available which suits my needs. Is the Directv box similar? The need for a second coax could be a major issue.

You might be able to get a swm ordered for your install but right now they are limited. I have seen them out there and being used though.

Thanks for the swm info. I am in no hurry. I am avoiding "available soon." The main reason I am leaving Dish is their promise of local channel Fox 40 being in HD "soon." That was almost 18 months ago and has not yet happened. It may sound minor, but 90% of what I watch on local stations is football, so have missed half the HD programing for two seasons.

BACKGROUND: My model-811 is also buggy, but I preferred its "ATSC" HDTV Tuner which receives "original UNCOMPRESSED over-the-air broadcasting signals in the MPEG-2 STANDARDS" and not the " COMPRESSED mpeg-4 stuff that I consider ideal for internet transmissions and computer-sized screen viewing".

The model-811 appeal and killer applications for me, consist of its MPEG-2 "ATSC" Tuner, consist of its indirect UHF Remote, consist of its On Screen Caller-ID feature, and especially consist of two(2) EXTERNAL VIDEO INPUTS which I used for my installation SECURITY CAMS#1(Front View) & #2(Rear View) of residence.

As of 15 August 2007 whereby E* marketing strategy abandon its legacy equiped HD customers in order to force the MPEG-4 "HD-LITE" programs upon me, but I 've been willing to pay at a rate of $2.00 per HD channel(ie ESPN-HD, HDmv, HDnet, Discovery-HD, and TNT-HD) or $9.99 monthly, in order to continue reception in " MPEG-2" the above and of SHOW-HD & HBO-HD.
OBSERVATION: Not enough SPACE for HD by using MPEG-2 the past three years???... Go figure::::the list of Shopping Channels=15, Religeous Channels=7, Cartoon/Family Channels=15, ESPN Channels=9, Dish Promo/Movie Trailer Channels= 9, Adult Channel=8(THE REAL MONEY MAKER), Movie PPV=20, Sports-Alternatives=20, and then there's the music channels.

Although I have SATs 61.5, 110, and 119, I could not get E* to return its Dish-HD, its VOOM' HDnews, nor the Discorvery-HD to my lineup after my foriegn contacts informed me that these mentioned channels are being view in MPEG-2 as foriegn subscribers. CAN OTHERS VERIFY?

Considering the Government contract that E* won, its expansion of 5-million foriegn subscribers for VOOM-HD, and its DATA Service with WACHOVIA, the lack of satellite space does not appear to be the reason that HD services using MPEG-2 cannot continue. The Cable Systems are able to provide four(4) HD Digital Channel by replacement of one(1) analog @ 6MHZ channel.

BACKGROUND: My model-811 is also buggy, but I preferred its "ATSC" HDTV Tuner which receives "original UNCOMPRESSED over-the-air broadcasting signals in the MPEG-2 STANDARDS" and not the " COMPRESSED mpeg-4 stuff that I consider ideal for internet transmissions and computer-sized screen viewing".

The model-811 appeal and killer applications for me, consist of its MPEG-2 "ATSC" Tuner, consist of its indirect UHF Remote, consist of its On Screen Caller-ID feature, and especially consist of two(2) EXTERNAL VIDEO INPUTS which I used for my installation SECURITY CAMS#1(Front View) & #2(Rear View) of residence.

As of 15 August 2007 whereby E* marketing strategy abandon its legacy equiped HD customers in order to force the MPEG-4 "HD-LITE" programs upon me, but I 've been willing to pay at a rate of $2.00 per HD channel(ie ESPN-HD, HDmv, HDnet, Discovery-HD, and TNT-HD) or $9.99 monthly, in order to continue reception in " MPEG-2" the above and of SHOW-HD & HBO-HD.
OBSERVATION: Not enough SPACE for HD by using MPEG-2 the past three years???... Go figure::::the list of Shopping Channels=15, Religeous Channels=7, Cartoon/Family Channels=15, ESPN Channels=9, Dish Promo/Movie Trailer Channels= 9, Adult Channel=8(THE REAL MONEY MAKER), Movie PPV=20, Sports-Alternatives=20, and then there's the music channels.

Although I have SATs 61.5, 110, and 119, I could not get E* to return its Dish-HD, its VOOM' HDnews, nor the Discorvery-HD to my lineup after my foriegn contacts informed me that these mentioned channels are being view in MPEG-2 as foriegn subscribers. CAN OTHERS VERIFY?

Considering the Government contract that E* won, its expansion of 5-million foriegn subscribers for VOOM-HD, and its DATA Service with WACHOVIA, the lack of satellite space does not appear to be the reason that HD services using MPEG-2 cannot continue. The Cable Systems are able to provide four(4) HD Digital Channel by replacement of one(1) analog @ 6MHZ channel.

Please try to keep taking the pills.

directv costs too much,
Dish Network offer more channels for less
Folks do not change for the money. They change for the channels. Neither DISH nor DTV customrs watch most of the channels they buy....ever!

Betya,

Joe

Last edited:

I just switched last week. Have been too busy to get into the features that you can opt to get on the edge so some of these things might be correctable. One difference I've seen (unless I've missed something) is the ability to lock out from the guide channels you don't want to see. They also use the favorites list in a different way. You get two lists only but then they break the list down to various themes like movies or sports. The search option doesn't give the option of searching categories.

That said the HR20 is really not bad. I haven't seen it freeze up yet. It takes some getting used just because it's different. But I wouldn't let it stop me from switching. Overall I'm very glad I changed over.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts