About to Sign Up with DirecTV: A FEW QUESTIONS

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mgoblue99

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
Hi. I'm debating between switching to DirecTV and Dish Network, and from my research, DirecTV has a better deal. I was hoping someone here could answer a few questions based on your experience with DirecTV.

I'd like to use the following configuration:

1. Main TV: HD DVR
2. Second TV: HD DVR
3. Third TV: standard receiver; no HD, no DVR.

Based on the DirecTV web page, the PLUS HD DVR Package will cost me $69.99/month, with a $10/month discount for a year. I'd also add the Sport Pack ($8/month) and the additional HD option ($5/month), and the web site shows a $9.98 lease fee. Total: roughly $93/month.

Compared to the same/similar set-up with Dish, this is a better deal. Dish would cost me $59.99/month for DVR Advantage/250, $20/month for HD Access, and another roughly $30/month in equipment fees, lease fees, and additional DVR/tuner fees.

Here are my questions:

1. Are there any hidden DirecTV charges? For two DVRs, will I have to pay an additional monthly fee, or is that included in the package I've chosen?

2. Will I have to pay the $10/month for HD at any point, or is that also included in the PLUS HD DVR package?

3. Why am I being charged a $9.98 lease fee if I'm going to have to purchase both HD DVRs, and I'd only be leasing a standard receiver?

4. I know the cost is about $300/unit for the HD DVR, and DirecTV will give me a $100 discount on one. Is there any way you can think of to get two HD DVRs at a better price as a new subscriber?

I'm stuck in Comcast country and need to make this switch happen before Big Ten basketball season when the Comcast-Big Ten Network debate really starts costing cable subscribers.

Any info anyone could offer would be GREATLY appreciated.

1. Main TV: HD DVR
2. Second TV: HD DVR
3. Third TV: standard receiver; no HD, no DVR.

You will pay:

69.99 For Plus HD-DVR (includes all HD or DVR receivers in your home)
12.00 Month for sports pack (you first package is 12 bucks, not 8)
9.98 for lease fee (you first lease fee is included in you programing package)
-10.00 dollar Discount for 12 months
81.97 monthly bill, without taxes
4.99 HD Extra pack (In December)
86.96 After december

As for buying the boxes, that is not the case. You are paying a down payment lease fee type thing. The boxes to buy are closer to 800 dollars. But if anything goes wrong with the boxes, they are leased so you wouldn't have trouble getting a refurb from D*.

You can try, but I think you will end up paying full price for the second box.

Hi. I'm debating between switching to DirecTV and Dish Network, and from my research, DirecTV has a better deal. I was hoping someone here could answer a few questions based on your experience with DirecTV.

1. Are there any hidden DirecTV charges? For two DVRs, will I have to pay an additional monthly fee, or is that included in the package I've chosen?

Shouldn't be based on what you're planning on getting. The HD access fee is included in the package you're getting and that covers all your HD receivers.

2. Will I have to pay the $10/month for HD at any point, or is that also included in the PLUS HD DVR package?

The HD access fee is included in the package you're getting and that covers all your HD receivers.

3. Why am I being charged a $9.98 lease fee if I'm going to have to purchase both HD DVRs, and I'd only be leasing a standard receiver?

All D* receivers are now leased even if you buy them at a store. So for 3 total receivers on your account, you'd have to pay the lease fee on 2 of them since 1 is included in your package.

4. I know the cost is about $300/unit for the HD DVR, and DirecTV will give me a $100 discount on one. Is there any way you can think of to get two HD DVRs at a better price as a new subscriber?

Play the "E* will give me their HD DVR for free" card. That's what I did as an existing D* customer and I got my HR20 for $19.95.

The SPORTS PACK is essentially a PREMIUM package like HBO or Showtime and therefore starts at $12 and goes down as you add premium packages.

I agree with everything said above as well. Also of note is that the DirecTV HD Extra package is 4.99/month but this is an optional service that includes the following channels starting in December.

HDNet
HDNet Movies
Universal HD
MHD
MGM HD
Smithsonian HD

Beyond those channels above all other HD channels are included in the Plus HD DVR package "except" any HD channels that are part of any movie channel packages or the Sports Pak. So you won't get the five Starz HD channels unless you subscribe to the Starz Super Pak. As your going to order the Sports Pak you will get all the current and new RSN HD channels no matter where you live. Blackouts for pro sports games will still apply as those are decided by the sports leagues themselves (ie MLB, NFL etc) and not DirecTV. You will however get to view quite a bit of college HD sporting events now with the Sports Pak and national HD RSNs.

Does DirecTV require a connection to a phone line? That's one issue I have when I look at signing up for Dish. They charge me an extra $5/month for receivers not connected to a phone line. Is this the same with DirecTV?

I don't think D* will charge you for not having a phone line, but I also think you won't be able to perform certain functions with the phone line missing. PPV comes to mind, but I'm not sure. This has always been a grey area for me. 99.9999% certain they won't charge you extra though.

You can't place orders for things, like PPV, from the set top box without a phone line. However for PPV's you can use the D* web site to order them which also will authorize the PPV on all receivers on the account, something ordering via the box won't do. The jury is out on how chargable items on the DirecTV on Demand service will work without a phone line.

You should be able to get $20 off/month from dish on HD for 6 months:

DISH Network -- Dish HD

Also a lot of the sports networks included in D*'s sports pack are part of E*'s DVR Advantage. So you might want factor that cost in also.

Also a lot of the sports networks included in D*'s sports pack are part of E*'s DVR Advantage.
E*'s DVR advantage doesn't add channels. It sits on top of a basic plan. To get many of those sports channels in the $12 DIRECTV SPORTS PACK, you may have to subscribe to AT250, AEP or E*'s $5.99 Multi-Sport Package.

Here are my questions:

1. Are there any hidden DirecTV charges? For two DVRs, will I have to pay an additional monthly fee, or is that included in the package I've chosen?Not in what you have chosen. It includes DVR and HD fees. One DVR fee covers all D* DVRs

2. Will I have to pay the $10/month for HD at any point, or is that also included in the PLUS HD DVR package? Not with that package

3. Why am I being charged a $9.98 lease fee if I'm going to have to purchase both HD DVRs, and I'd only be leasing a standard receiver?You will be leasing them all. As stated above even a receiver purchased at a retail store is a lease

4. I know the cost is about $300/unit for the HD DVR, and DirecTV will give me a $100 discount on one. Is there any way you can think of to get two HD DVRs at a better price as a new subscriber?Its possible you just have to ask, being polite and firm when explaining what you want does wonders with them. Also mention pretty much what you stated here about the comparisons. tell them the only reservation you have is about the equipment costs.

Does DirecTV require a connection to a phone line? That's one issue I have when I look at signing up for Dish. They charge me an extra $5/month for receivers not connected to a phone line. Is this the same with DirecTV?

No phone line required and no charge. I have no idea about PPV though. I never use it so it's a moot issue to me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)