Cancelling HDPak - Rebate?

DaveO

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Does anyone know -

I got an 811 in December, with no committments.

I paid for a year's subscription to HD Pak on my own.

Is it possible to cancel that and get a rebate? Anyone ever had success doing that?

I am very seriously considering selling my 811 and getting one of the D* HD receivers.
This 811 is causing problems with the other half of the business who just doesn't know about rebooting, doing check switch all the time, waiting for the searching for satellite screen to get done, and trying to get local channels to lock in without erroring out all the time.

She is more pissed than me, but I am getting there.

This receiver is crap.. Or at least the software is.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Good luck!

I bet the pre-payment you made WAS your commitment.

It's a shame your 811 is not up to par, my 811 has been flawless.....so far. :usa

Yes, perhaps you could have asked them for a new one if that was malfunctioning so badly.

I have had to do a soft reset once when my guide got corrupted. I have never done a check switch. Searching for satellite only comes up for me when I hit "guide" from an OTA channel.

Enjoy DirectTV. I understand they are the perfect company and have only perfect products.

bigthrust said:
I bet the pre-payment you made WAS your commitment.

It's a shame your 811 is not up to par, my 811 has been flawless.....so far. :usa

It's not a shame. It's a fact. I would bet that in my conditions they (all 811s) would all act the same.

You would lose that bet. When I got the receiver ($149. I think, in December), I was very careful to ask about any commitments involved. Since I've been a customer since 1996, and paying well over $50. a month, that was not a requirement.

I paid for it only because I wanted it.

Now, as far as the 811.

Do you use it for OTA (over the air) reception?
If so, do you have any digital stations that have marginal reception, say 60-65% signal?

If you do, then you would know what I am talking about. (station remapping, erroring out, getting the acquiring satellite signal, renewing the program guide, etc etc)

If I used it simply for satellite reception, or if I lived in an area with very strong signals then I would have no problem either.

I have a deep fringe antenna (100 mile/60mile) above my second story roof, with a digital antenna rotor. I am just not in a good area.

I have no problems with reception from 61.5/110 or 119.

Yes, I have the 265 software.

AcuraCL said:
Yes, perhaps you could have asked them for a new one if that was malfunctioning so badly.

I have had to do a soft reset once when my guide got corrupted. I have never done a check switch. Searching for satellite only comes up for me when I hit "guide" from an OTA channel.

Enjoy DirectTV. I understand they are the perfect company and have only perfect products.

Thought I had replied to this but it didn't show up. You've been fortunate with yours. What percentage signal are you receiving?

Sarcasm noted.

DaveO said:
Thought I had replied to this but it didn't show up. You've been fortunate with yours. What percentage signal are you receiving?

Sarcasm noted.

Dave, my dropped OTA info/mappings stopped with v265. It was frequent before that. The only channels I regularly watch hit at 80% (3 channels) and 90% (1 channel), pretty much rain or shine. I do have ones that were added during "scan DTV" but that I have never been able to lock onto. They remain in the guide anyway. Before 265, they'd disappear. I have stations that are in the guide but never go above 0, some that do the happy 0-49 bounce, some that bounce 0-49-65 but never lock. They stay in the guide too. I was getting annoyed having to readd them time and again, but this seems to have stopped for me.

I am sorry you are having so much trouble.

GaryPen,

Some of us who have an 811 recognize that it has its limitations and that with time E* might be able to solve most problems. However, when watching one of the E* HD channels or like last night when my wife and I watched the ladies tee it up in HD for the NCAA basketball quarter-finals the 811 worked without error. To some this is flawless -- to others they must hold onto all of the 811's shortcommings and they do not enjoy the receiver.

I for one enjoy my 811 and rejoice when E* finally fixes something that isn't working well. The 811 is for early adopters--that means product with bugs and features that do not work. There are no 'flawless' HD receivers on the market right now. If there were everyone would be buying that particular receiver and we would be discussing its 'flaws' instead of the 811's.

AcuraCL said:
Dave, my dropped OTA info/mappings stopped with v265. It was frequent before that. The only channels I regularly watch hit at 80% (3 channels) and 90% (1 channel), pretty much rain or shine. I do have ones that were added during "scan DTV" but that I have never been able to lock onto. They remain in the guide anyway. Before 265, they'd disappear. I have stations that are in the guide but never go above 0, some that do the happy 0-49 bounce, some that bounce 0-49-65 but never lock. They stay in the guide too. I was getting annoyed having to readd them time and again, but this seems to have stopped for me.

I am sorry you are having so much trouble.

Thanks. I wish 265 had fixed mine, but I see where we have a different situation.

You say that some "do the bounce 0-49-65%", and that's exactly what I get from my (one) DT channel. And, that's just when all of the problems, including losing the mapping starts.

I can sometimes get the channel to lock after 5 or so minutes by (as soon as I select the channel 022-3) I hit the info button and wait 5-10 seconds and then exit. Other times I will hit the info button and then the guide button, and wait until it shows up in the window. Most times the station will stay locked in. Other times, it will stay at 49% and nothing will fix it other than a reboot and sometimes check switch.

As I said, I have been with Dish since 1996. I have a model 5000 receiver that I *upgraded* to the 811. I never once had a problem with that receiver or the lnbs or anything. Flawless.

Some have said that with new technology there are always bugs and problems. I agree, but lemme tell you, I have yet to see any similar problem with the D* HD receivers. Maybe I missed them, but they sure aren't as widespread as with the 811.

I don't enjoy slamming Dish's 811, but there are definite problems that should be addressed quicker than they are addressing them.

Isn't it time that E* paid a little overtime to the software engineers to get this straightened out right away? Many are getting pissed, real pissed.

DaveO said:
Thanks. I wish 265 had fixed mine, but I see where we have a different situation.

You say that some "do the bounce 0-49-65%", and that's exactly what I get from my (one) DT channel. And, that's just when all of the problems, including losing the mapping starts.

I can sometimes get the channel to lock after 5 or so minutes by (as soon as I select the channel 022-3) I hit the info button and wait 5-10 seconds and then exit. Other times I will hit the info button and then the guide button, and wait until it shows up in the window. Most times the station will stay locked in. Other times, it will stay at 49% and nothing will fix it other than a reboot and sometimes check switch.

As I said, I have been with Dish since 1996. I have a model 5000 receiver that I *upgraded* to the 811. I never once had a problem with that receiver or the lnbs or anything. Flawless.

Some have said that with new technology there are always bugs and problems. I agree, but lemme tell you, I have yet to see any similar problem with the D* HD receivers. Maybe I missed them, but they sure aren't as widespread as with the 811.

I don't enjoy slamming Dish's 811, but there are definite problems that should be addressed quicker than they are addressing them.

Isn't it time that E* paid a little overtime to the software engineers to get this straightened out right away? Many are getting pissed, real pissed.

Just curious Dave, is this a station you have been able to get with another OTA tuner?

Has it ever gone over 65%? I ask because even though it will pretend to sometimes "lock" at 49+, when my strength hits the mid-low 60s the picture falls apart (pixelization) then eventually goes to total black.

I am just wondering if your one channel is really coming in strong enough or clear enough (without multipath or ghosting) for any receiver to lock.

When I moved my little antenna upstairs, and added a preamp to compensate for the cable length added, the 4 locking stations never once had a hint of the 0-49-xx bounce. They went straight to the 80s/90s, locked, and have stayed there. I know they are getting a good clean signal. The tower is 35 miles from me. OTOH, I have another tower 10 miles away, and all those channels either pound "0" on the meter or do the 0-49 bounce. This I am reasonably sure is a multipath problem.

I am just wondering if that is your issue. I don't know.

AcuraCL said:
Just curious Dave, is this a station you have been able to get with another OTA tuner?

When I moved my little antenna upstairs, and added a preamp to compensate for the cable length added, the 4 locking stations never once had a hint of the 0-49-xx bounce. They went straight to the 80s/90s, locked, and have stayed there. I know they are getting a good clean signal. The tower is 35 miles from me. OTOH, I have another tower 10 miles away, and all those channels either pound "0" on the meter or do the 0-49 bounce. This I am reasonably sure is a multipath problem.

I am just wondering if that is your issue. I don't know.

I've never had the opportunity to try it with another tuner, and there is nobody around that has HD.

>>Has it ever gone over 65%? I ask because even though it will pretend to sometimes "lock" at 49+, when my strength hits the mid-low 60s the picture falls apart (pixelization) then eventually goes to total black.

I am just wondering if your one channel is really coming in strong enough or clear enough (without multipath or ghosting) for any receiver to lock.>>

Yes, there have been times that it has been in the 70s. Mine never locks under 60% signal. 60 and over I get a steady signal with very few fall-outs. There is definite multipath as I'm on the West side of a big hill and the station is SE from me, 19 miles away.

I've just invested quite a bit in another antenna setup (that is still on the ground). I purchased a new Channel Master deep fringe antenna with CM777 pre-amp. I also purchased a Channel Master 4228 (8 bay bowtie) antenna with a Wingard 4880 preamp (UHF only) for that, and a Channel Master 9521 digital rotor with an additional rotor thrust bearing (TB-105) to handle the weight on the rotor. I have dual quad RG6 cable to attach all of the above to a 40' telescoping mast which will start at 12' in the air on the side of my barn. That'll give me about 55' with the 10' mast attached to it. I also purchased a 1000' roll of 6/18 guy wire, along with the turnbuckles, eyebolts, and clasps.

All of that will come down on separate leads to a remote controlled A/B switch.

Geez, if I can't get it then (or more stations) I'm out of luck. I know there are ways to combine antennas, tilt antennas with automatic tilters, but there comes a time when it's just not worth it. I'm going to give it this shot and then fergetaboutit.

I'm waiting for optimum weather, some extra hands, and no wind to give this a go.

I am not out to enjoy the receiver. I want it to work and not interrupt my viewing. We are not early adopters. HD tuners have been on the market since 1998 and since the mid 80's in Japan-btw the suppliers of HD tuners and TV's.
The 811 is a NEW model that has more flaws than DISH will admit. If it was a new TV,Stereo,microwave or automobile that was only reliable 75 percent of the time, it would have been returned to the point of purchase.

The 811 does HD just great it is the basic functioning issues involved with satelite and the programming guides. If the 811 could do standard material like the 301 or 508 and do HD as it does then no one would have a problem with it.

Kevin,
Well said. Bravo!

JoeSP, Kevin is 100% correct. We are not early adopters. We are merely consumers. While almost nothing in this universe is flawless, the 811 as released was seriously flawed, and is still retains enough flaws to impair the simple act of watching TV.

My previous model Dish receivers from my past subscription, and my new 311 work almost flawlessly, as do the current HD and Tivo offerings for DirecTV. Face it, Dish has a problem in R&D, support, and manufacturing of their PVR and HD receivers. Like others have opined, they need to move those functions to a 3rd party vendor (other than Thomson) to raise the level of quality and reliability of their receivers.

Of course, as long as they have customers like you (and the Dishites over on dbstalk) willing to overlook these issues, they'll keep on cranking out such crap.

Hey. Why not? It worked for the US auto industry for decades.

GaryPen said:
You apparently don't understand. He was referring to Dish Network's Model DP811 HD Satellite Receiver. You are obviously referring to something else.

:rolleyes: No...I know exactly what I am referring to and it IS Dish Network's Model DP811 HD Satellite Receiver. I am not a newbie and I do have the technical knowledge to understand what is going on. As I had stated before, things are "flawless" so far. I do get a few OTA stations, but the best I can get with my current antenna is 70% locked. I know others claim to have bugs and constant problems with their receivers, but honestly I have not YET. I have utilized every aspect of the receiver to it's fullest and admit that I am very picky about picture quality. So, with that said, I am sorry things are not working out for some people, but for me, things are working as they should.

My 811 has always worked fairly well, since the latests update it has performed very well. I have a deep fringe antenna and some of my stations are 55-60% signal. I have lost them a few times in the past, but since the last update I have not had that problem at all.

The only outstanding issues I have with it are the dark scenes on SVideo, and the having to go to satellite to see guide on OTA issues.

I for one have no problems with the HD or OTA portions of the 811. I have issues with the dark S-Video, the Acquiring satellite and the guide needing to redo itself every couple of hours. As a matter of fact the 811 is very good at pulling in distant OTA stations.
The 49% issue is a multuipath problem that will clear up for many and aways be a problem for those who live in areas that are subject to multipath problems year round.

I am on my second 811. The new one exhibits the exact same issues as the previous one. The bad S-vdeo picture, satellite acquistion and guide problems are not mine alone, so if yours is"flawless" or "performs very well" then consider yourselfs very lucky because nothing in the last update fixed the biggest issue- The 811 can not perform as well as as a 301 or 508 in displying SD material or holding a signal or keeping a guide.

Kevinw said:
I for one have no problems with the HD or OTA portions of the 811. I have issues with the dark S-Video, the Acquiring satellite and the guide needing to redo itself every couple of hours. As a matter of fact the 811 is very good at pulling in distant OTA stations.
The 49% issue is a multuipath problem that will clear up for many and aways be a problem for those who live in areas that are subject to multipath problems year round.

I am on my second 811. The new one exhibits the exact same issues as the previous one. The bad S-vdeo picture, satellite acquistion and guide problems are not mine alone, so if yours is"flawless" or "performs very well" then consider yourselfs very lucky because nothing in the last update fixed the biggest issue- The 811 can not perform as well as as a 301 or 508 in displying SD material or holding a signal or keeping a guide.

As for displaying video (SD or HD) have you tried another type of connection such as component or DVI (of coarse only if you have the connections to the TV)? I use DVI and am happy with it.

Component is fine. I do not like the stretch modes of the 811 and would prefer to watch my standard (non-HD) Dish programming through the S-video or even the composites, like I do with my 508 or 301. SD throught the components looks fine but I am trying to avoid burn in from overuse of watching 4:3 programming ubstretscged.

Kevinw said:
Component is fine. I do not like the stretch modes of the 811 and would prefer to watch my standard (non-HD) Dish programming through the S-video or even the composites, like I do with my 508 or 301. SD throught the components looks fine but I am trying to avoid burn in from overuse of watching 4:3 programming ubstretscged.

SD on my Toshiba completely fills the screen, no problem, no stretch.

I do have one SD digital OTA station that does a letterbox unless I put it in DVI mode and stretch it a little.