Cancelling Service and Setting up Service with Different Name

But people are arguing he could get a whole bunch of new customer incentives, although he will still be receiving the same service. While he may have a better spirit than those just trying to take advantage of the system, isn't this exactly what Dish is cracking down on?

You may have problems getting a new account at that address because dish will check for an existing account at that address, if there is an existing account dish will not install another account to that address. Also if you used a credit card to pay the bill it will be rejected also, you must use another credit card number.

What did I miss?

He currently gets service.

He uses it, i.e. it is not primarily his mother in law's

There is a dish on his house

He pays the bills

He is not moving

Only thing is it's in his mother in laws name. This is speculation, but I imagine it's because he had bad credit and need a better score to get service. Now he has patched it up and wants more improvement, so he want's his good payment record to show an his SSN. The only difference is the name on the bill.

Just because he can do something doesn't make it right. All I'm saying is it would be wrong to get new customer upgrades and discounts if you are not a new customer.

EXACTLY !!!! This is the exact thing Dish is now looking for and terminating retailers for. It's called a flipped account. I work for one of Dish's distributors and have seen 17 retailers get shut down recently for doing this. Dish has a new system inplace that catches these things immediately.

As stated above in one of the quotes, first off Dish will not allow a new account in the same address if there is all ready an active account. Second the OP will have to pass credit with a valid, not previously used, credit card. Good luck with this is if your credit is below 700 or so.

I understand your intentions and sympathize your situation, but unfortunately there have been too many rotten apples out there juking the system which brought all these new procedures to place.

This is speculation, but I imagine it's because he had bad credit and need a better score to get service. Now he has patched it up and wants more improvement, so he want's his good payment record to show an his SSN. The only difference is the name on the bill.
Nothing to do with credit, my wife and I weren't married and her mother(my mother-in-law) was the one paying for her Service. Now that we have gotten married, I pay for it.

I have tried to tell dish that I want to change it to my name without being a new sub, but they told me that I have to cancel my current account and set up a new one.

Nothing to do with credit, my wife and I weren't married and her mother(my mother-in-law) was the one paying for her Service. Now that we have gotten married, I pay for it.

I have tried to tell dish that I want to change it to my name without being a new sub, but they told me that I have to cancel my current account and set up a new one.

Sorry if I made any implications. I was just trying to get the point across that this is YOUR service.

Like I said, try the CEO address. If they want you to sign up for a new account, by all means do it. Just go through dish, not a retailer, so as not to wrongly reap the benefits of being a new customer that you are not eligible for.

Leased reciever cannot be transfured to someone else. So if you want to change the name and SS# on the account you will have to have new equipment and a new account. You have no account with dish you only pay someone else's bill. Example My kid is in college I pay his room and board he has signed the lease on the apartment do I live there NO.

As far as dish knowing the address that may be so but for example I go to a neww connect and the dish is already in place I install the recievers and this is a new connect and I am credited with a "new connect" The same thing is happening here.

Account flipping is a different senerio. What dish is trying to prevent is having the retailer's telamarketer call a cusotmer and tell them that they can get all the benifits of a new customer all they need to do is cancel there exixting account put the new account another name and slightly change the address. I have been to many of these over the years. When I get there all the lines are in place, the address is slightly different (one letter or so) sometimes the old recievers are still there. I will generaly refuse to do this install because I know that it is fraud and doing so would make me a accomplis to the crime.

Sorry if I made any implications. I was just trying to get the point across that this is YOUR service.

Like I said, try the CEO address. If they want you to sign up for a new account, by all means do it. Just go through dish, not a retailer, so as not to wrongly reap the benefits of being a new customer that you are not eligible for.

He IS eligible for all new subscriber discounts and benefits. The account IS NOT IN HIS NAME!!! How hard is that to understand? He is essentially paying for someone else's service. While I would definately go through Dish Network, and not a retailer, that's just my preference. Just because he pays for the service, doesn't make it his. If I started paying for my neighbor's service, would that make it mine? I'd be paying for it, but it'd be in their name. There is absolutely nothing to worry about.

To the OP, I wouldn't give it a second thought. The service is not yours. They refused to simply change the owner of the account, so just follow what they said and close that one, and open one your name. I assure you, you are doing absolutely nothing at all wrong.

This is deffinity a grey area!

This person is NOT a new subscriber because the mother in law is considered a family member. Its no different than if the huspand cancelled service and tried to set it up again in his wifes name.

However if the account was setup in lets say a roommates name, and that person lets say moved out and cancelled their service then yes it would be considered a new account based on this situation

But then again, if customer service will not let you transfer the account and tells you that you need to setup a new account then I don't see the issue. But this would have to be through customer service where a commission is not paid to a retailer for setting up a new account. A retailer would just be asking for problems if this was ever audited, unless someone notated the hell out of the cancelled account and the retailer got permission through retail services and had it documented.

With that said, you should be able to transfer the account into your name. What you want to do is get your mother in law on the phone with a 3-way call. Add your name to the account. Wait a day, do another 3-way call and remove her name from the account!. This makes absolutly no sense why they will not let you transfer the account over. I get cancellations all the time and when I research the notes on the account, the first thing they ask the customers before they let them cancel is if they know anyone who can take over the account to prevent a cancellation.

But then again, if customer service will not let you transfer the account and tells you that you need to setup a new account then I don't see the issue. But this would have to be through customer service where a commission is not paid to a retailer for setting up a new account. A retailer would just be asking for problems if this was ever audited, unless someone notated the hell out of the cancelled account and the retailer got permission through retail services and had it documented.

Thanks, Claude, that's exactly the point I was trying to get across. No one should make trouble for an unsuspecting retailer.

What part of that says he is a new customer? He says himself he is a current sub. He is not adding an account, he is just changing the name. .
The fact that he does NOT currently have E* service in His name Makes him a new customer. Real cut and dry. If your sister buys a car ,but lets you use it. Does it make it your loan? NO!

This is deffinity a grey area!

This person is NOT a new subscriber because the mother in law is considered a family member. Its no different than if the huspand cancelled service and tried to set it up again in his wifes name..
What, That is 100% completely different. Your Spouse and an IN LAW are 2 completely different things . So because I have E* my MOM or mother in law can't get New customer service with E*. This guy IS a new Subscriber End of story. No one is going to tell me that because I subscribe to E* or D* that it has any effect of new service for my family members. This guy isn't married to his mother in law.

The fact that he does NOT currently have E* service in His name Makes him a new customer. Real cut and dry. If your sister buys a car ,but lets you use it. Does it make it your loan? NO!

There aren't any "new driver" deals, so the comparison is invalid. By your argument, the guy should stop paying ad make his mother in law pay.

If your in high school and your parents buy you a car exclusively for your use but have it in their name, do you tell all your friends its your car or your parents car?

Like Claude says, it's a gray area. Redo the account with Dish if that's what they want him to do. But don't drag an unsuspecting retailer in so you can get that programming discount and the free 722, potentially getting the retailer in trouble.

Why can't anyone read the first 6 words of the OP's post?

Its not a grey area. If I currently don't have and Never had E* in my name, Under my SSN or receiving Credit on my credit report. Then I'm not a customer. If this guys wants to have E* service in his name under his credit status, Then he should be entitled to all the new customer benifits since he is now taking over the responsibility of having a service under his personal credit status.

can't speak for Claude, but I think he was alluding to the mother in law is considered a member of the family *living in the same household*.

You can argue semantics all you want. I can see where a retailer would want to back away from this because it *could*... regardless of the actual and technical niceties of the situation.... come back to bite them in the ass.

If dealing with Dish directly, they say cancel and start new, then that's what I'd do. No retailer getting in trouble ANd you get some new customer incentives or whatever.

Both what Hemi and Hall said;
Still do not know what people's problem is with this. :confused: DISH told him to close this account and open a new account in his name. :up

SOOO..., just do what they said and move on. :D:D

Mother-in-laws typically do not live in the same house. How many people here have their mother-in-laws living with them (or they live with their mother-in-laws) ??

HDRoberts said:
Why can't anyone read the first 6 words of the OP's post?
Why do you selectively choose what you read and then base your argument on that ? He clarified his statement later when he said "my wife and I weren't married and her mother(my mother-in-law) was the one paying for her Service". Now, is that 100% clear what the scenario is/was ? I admit it's not. What I think that means is his girlfiend's mom had Dish service. He and his girlfriend later got married and moved into the mom's home and he started paying the bill.

These are actual notes from a customers account today that was cancelled...

11/02/08-08:59 MST 8:59 AM (MST) **WB** CCI WANTS TO CANCEL BECAUSE SHE IS MOVING OFFERED MOVER DECLINED BECAUSE MOVING OUT OF STATE AND THEY HAVE SERVICE IS PERMANANT MOVE OFFERED FOR ANYONE TO TAKE OVER DECLINED LET HER KNOW OF CANCELLATION FEE AND WILL CHARGE CC ON FILE FOR THE CANCELLATION FEE CUSTOMER OK

So here is a customer who is cancelling and Dish offered for anyone to take over the account and the customer declined the offer.

So can anyone tell me why Dish will not let the mother in law transfer her account to the person who started this thread?

I'd guess that the OP's mother in law is no longer under contract, but the Mover is.

Dish would rather collect the full amount for the remainder of the contract instead of $11 per month.

Mother-in-laws typically do not live in the same house. How many people here have their mother-in-laws living with them (or they live with their mother-in-laws) ??

Why do you selectively choose what you read and then base your argument on that ? He clarified his statement later when he said "my wife and I weren't married and her mother(my mother-in-law) was the one paying for her Service". Now, is that 100% clear what the scenario is/was ? I admit it's not. What I think that means is his girlfiend's mom had Dish service. He and his girlfriend later got married and moved into the mom's home and he started paying the bill.

Should have canceled then, not now, months or years after the fact. The fact is, the OP considered the account his, as he said he was the subscriber. Did mom (in law) set up a new account? If so, she got the new subscriber benefits. She should have just used Dish Mover in that case so the OP could just get a new account then. No double dipping.

All I'm saying is he should not disguise what he is when trying to set up a new account. He won't get in trouble, but the way Dish is cracking down on account flipping retailers, he should not risk getting an innocent third party in trouble.

What did I miss?
Only thing is it's in his mother in laws name. This is speculation, but I imagine it's because he had bad credit and need a better score to get service. Now he has patched it up and wants more improvement, so he want's his good payment record to show an his SSN. The only difference is the name on the bill.

Just because he can do something doesn't make it right. All I'm saying is it would be wrong to get new customer upgrades and discounts if you are not a new customer.

Did you ever stop to think he could have moved in with his mother-in-law originally and now it is his? People always assume the worst.

Besides, it is his mother-in-laws service, now he would like it to be his. Therefore, he would be a new subscriber because HE is not the customer now.

Did you ever stop to think he could have moved in with his mother-in-law originally and now it is his? People always assume the worst.

Besides, it is his mother-in-laws service, now he would like it to be his. Therefore, he would be a new subscriber because HE is not the customer now.

If he moved in with her, then its still her service and resetting it WOULD be account flipping. I she moved out, then she should have used Dish Mover or canceled then to give him the new account.

Like I said, just don't try to screw an innocent retailer. Let him know the full story, or do it though Dish.

By your reasoning, a married could with the account in one name could cancel and flip the account to the other spouse for the discounts. The wife could get service because SHE is not the customer now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts