Can't access site on Charter/Spectrum

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

cpalmer2k

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 18, 2013
United States
Scott, has something changed with the site since last night? I can't access the site at all via my home internet provider (Spectrum). It gives me the site took too long to reach and timeout messages. I can only access it on my iPad if I use the LTE modem? I've tried switching to Google DNS, etc. but none of my devices will connect on my home internet.

It appears this is somehow firewall related. I looked up the DNS address and even when I enter it manually on my PC or iPad on wifi I get the timed out message.

I continually have this intermittent problem where somehow, somewhere my IP gets blocked and can't reach satguys. It's only satguys and no other site and can happen anytime. The only fix is to change your IP address. It happened yesterday evening to me as well and came back after a reboot and I got a new IP assigned by my DSL provider.

There was a thread here in the past with tracerts, etc. but I don't think Scott was able to find out what was going on.

Oh, and I'm on DSL and not on Charter or Spectrum. The block is IP specific and if you get a new IP with a modem or router reboot then you should be good to go. Proxies also work. :)

I have Charter/Spectrum and experience the same s**t once in awhile. It is IP specific. No help from Charter for sure.

I have Charter/Spectrum and experience the same s**t once in awhile. It is IP specific. No help from Charter for sure.

It's not Charter or any other specific provider. The tracert stops when it tries to access the sucuri servers.

Last edited:
Unfortunately my IP won't change, it hasn't changed but twice in the time I've had Charter. In our area if you have a customer owned modem you basically keep a static IP. Scott, anything you can do to help? I did a tracert and it dies after connecting to an IP at gtt.net

Do you have a router ? If so, do you know how to change the MAC address ? Write down your current address, change it something else, reboot the modem and router, and try again.

Traceroutes aren't reliable either. Mine stops at ae8.cr4-was1.ip4.gtt.net, well, whatever the hop after it is, but I can access the site just fine. Routers can "ignore" ICMP packets and not affect normal web browsing.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Changing the MAC won't have any impact. I can't change the address of my modem and that is what Charter uses to assign the IP address. This is the only website with this issue which is crazy. Can't the firewall company provide some assistance or allow you to "whitelist" IPs that have issues? That definitely is the issue though, I can't even go to the Firewall company's website

It's the sucuri that the site uses that stops you. Here's the tracerts when it works and when it doesn't. I X'd out some of the addresses for anonymity. :)

C:\Users\Admin>tracert satelliteguys.us

Tracing route to satelliteguys.us [192.124.249.5]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms MAIN [192.168.1.1]
2 8 ms 8 ms 8 ms bbr0.XXXX.XXXX.net [XXXXXXXXXX]
3 12 ms 9 ms 8 ms te0-3-0-1.asr0.XXXX.XXXX.net [XXXXXXXXX]
4 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms te0-7-0-3.ccr21.XXXX.atlas.cogentco.com [XXXXXXXXX]
5 12 ms 13 ms 16 ms be2915.ccr41.jfk02.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.40.62]
6 18 ms 20 ms 19 ms be2806.ccr41.dca01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.40.106]
7 19 ms 19 ms 19 ms be3083.ccr41.iad02.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.30.54]
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 20 ms 19 ms 19 ms cloudproxy10005.sucuri.net [192.124.249.5]

Trace complete.

C:\Users\Admin>

C:\Users\Admin>tracert satelliteguys.us

Tracing route to satelliteguys.us [192.124.249.5]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms MAIN [192.168.1.1]
2 8 ms 9 ms 8 ms bbr0.XXXXX.XXXXX.net [XXXXXXXXXX]
3 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms te0-3-0-1.asr0.XXXXX.XXXXX.net [XXXXXXXXXX]
4 9 ms 9 ms 10 ms te0-7-0-3.ccr21.XXXX.atlas.cogentco.com [XXXXXXXXXX]
5 12 ms 13 ms 12 ms be2915.ccr41.jfk02.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.40.62]
6 18 ms 18 ms 18 ms be2806.ccr41.dca01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.40.106]
7 21 ms 19 ms 19 ms be3083.ccr41.iad02.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.30.54]
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 ^C
C:\Users\Admin>

Reactions: charlesrshell
Changing the MAC won't have any impact. I can't change the address of my modem and that is what Charter uses to assign the IP address. This is the only website with this issue which is crazy. Can't the firewall company provide some assistance or allow you to "whitelist" IPs that have issues? That definitely is the issue though, I can't even go to the Firewall company's website

Scott told me once that it should clear itself in a short time, which it didn't. Maybe it will clear in 24 hours? This has been a PITA for me since at least last fall and the only way around it that I've found is to get a new IP address. A proxy or VPN would be another work around. Good luck.

So I haven't had this blocking problem for a while... until today. My IP has been blocked twice today again. Lucky I have alternate ways of accessing but it sure is a PITA.

Explain what you mean by your IP has been blocked twice today? Only Firewall Blocks I see are from outside the US.

I do know there is a huge backbone routing issue currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)